How Silly [Resolution Welcoming Pope Hits Abortion Snag in Congress Before Passing ]

How Silly Kathryn Jean Lopez]

So this is the final resolution:Welcoming Pope Benedict XVI to the United States and recognizing the unique insights his moral and spiritual reflections bring to the world stage.IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

Mr. BROWNBACK (for himself and Mr. CASEY ) submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee on

RESOLUTION

Welcoming Pope Benedict XVI to the United States and recognizing the unique insights his moral and spiritual reflections bring to the world stage.Whereas Pope Benedict XVI will travel to the United States for his first pastoral visit as Pope and will visit Washington, DC, and New York;

Whereas Pope Benedict XVI was elected as the 265th Bishop of Rome on April 19, 2005, succeeding the much beloved Pope John Paul II;Whereas the visit of Pope Benedict XVI will mark the 9th visit of a pope to the United States, recognizing the historical importance of the Catholic Church in American life, the deep faith and charity of its members, and the responsibilities of the United States in world affairs;

Whereas Pope Benedict XVI has spoken approvingly of the vibrance of religious faith in the United States, a faith nourished by a constitutional commitment to religious liberty;

Whereas Pope Benedict XVI remains committed to ecumenical dialogue and, during his trip to the United States, will meet with leaders of world religions and representatives of other Christian denominations and will visit a synagogue in New York City, all demonstrating his com- mitment to sincere dialogue and unity among all members of the human family;

Whereas Pope Benedict XVI has authored 2 encyclical letters inviting the world to meditate on the virtues of love and hope, ‘‘Deus caritas est’’ and ‘‘Spe salvi’’;

Whereas millions of Americans have discovered in Pope Benedict ’s words a renewed faith in the power of hope over despair and love over hate;

Whereas Pope Benedict XVI has been a clear and courageous voice for the voiceless, working tirelessly for the recognition of human dignity and religious freedom across the globe;

Whereas Pope Benedict XVI has spoken out for the weak and vulnerable;

Whereas Pope Benedict XVI seeks to advance a ‘‘civilization of love’’ across our world; and

Whereas Catholics in parishes and schools across the Nation, and countless other Americans as well, eagerly await the visit of Pope Benedict XVI to the United States:

Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the Senate welcomes Pope Benedict XVI on the occasion of his first pastoral visit to the United States and recognizes the unique insights his moral and spiritual reflections bring to the world stage.This is what was ridiculously cut:

“that neither attempts to strip our public spaces of religious expression nor denies the ultimate source of our rights and liberties”

and

“Whereas Pope Benedict XVI has spoken out for the weak and vulnerable, witnessing to the value of each and every human life”

corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NDU0NGJjNmEwZjM1Y2YyYmU0ZmY0YTViY2ZjMGQxMTk=There were Democrats boycotting the resolution with the offending passages included.

A Senate aide adds that it was not just the life language that was an issue in the resolution in the Senate:
[Boxer’s] spokesperson claims that the reference to the “naked public square” was about “religious expression on public buildings.” This is a rather uninformed and cramped understanding of what that language means. I guess we can take comfort from this episode that leading liberal Democrats have zero understanding of what makes Catholics and religious people tick.

corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZTZiM2U2MDRkYjA5OTc3ZjlkZDlkMjdiYzViNGNlMDI=

Yep - Pretty meaningless.

My attitude - both parties are awful - one is just more awful than the other.

Motherhood and apple pie resolutions are pretty silly. I think this one falls into the same category - our legislators have better things to do.

My attitude is, one party is simply human. The other party is occasionally coyotes, wolves, bears, owls….

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351613,00.html

I am saddened that Sen. Brownback “compromised” with Sen. Boxer. But I’ve come to expect that kind of thing.

Republicans and Democrats: Two masks on the same face.

Sen. Brownback is among the best friends of the pro-life, pro-family movement not just in the Senate, but in government period. Unfortunately, politics is not like religion in that sometimes politics requires compromise. Given that there are not 60 solid pro-life members of the Senate, no resolution that even ambiguously condemns abortion is going to pass.

Sen. Brownback’s choice was to agree to the watered down language, or accept that no resolution welcoming the Pope would be passed by the Senate. Now personnaly, I doubt His Holiness cares too much about whether or not the Senate passes a resolution welcoming him or not, but I personally am glad they passed one, even if the language is not everything I would like.

Now, if we, as pro-lifers, regardless of party, are not happy with the makeup of the Congress, we had best get to work putting more of our own in government.

I certainly don’t contest that. In fact, it is why I am saddened by his compromise.

Sad but true.

I don’t know. Basically, they’ve said “thanks for showing up, you’re a mostly swell guy.” If it were me, I’d rather have no welcome at all than one that removes pro-life references.

Amen to that! :thumbsup:

I wonder…if Sen. Brownback hadn’t offered the compromise, would the pope have gone unwelcomed?

Bingo! And would anybody care if Congress didn’t?

I wonder if instead of stripping language that seemed to infer praising the Holy Father’s opposition to abortion, language acknowledging his opposition to the Iraq war had been added some of the senators on Boxer’s side would have gone along with it?

The Holy Father does not belong to either party and niether party agrrees with him on everything.

However, anyone who saw the reception Pope Benedict received everywhere he went knows he was very much welcomed by many, many Americans (both Catholic and non-Catholic).

May God continue to bless his Papacy and the Church.

I always vote for Republicans (like Brownback) because they have limited abortion in America to just 45 million dead.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.