How Single Parents Affect the Brain

online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704754804574491811861197926.html

Interesting stuff.

Conventional wisdom holds that two parents are better than one. Scientists are now finding that growing up without a father actually changes the way your brain develops.

German biologist Anna Katharina Braun and others are conducting research on animals that are typically raised by two parents, in the hopes of better understanding the impact on humans of being raised by a single parent. Dr. Braun’s work focuses on degus, small rodents related to guinea pigs and chinchillas, because mother and father degus naturally raise their babies together.

When deprived of their father, the degu pups exhibit both short- and long-term changes in nerve-cell growth in different regions of the brain. Dr. Braun, director of the Institute of Biology at Otto von Guericke University in Magdeburg, and her colleagues are also looking at how these physical changes affect offspring behavior.

Despite the temptation, there is no way I am touching this one.

A degu? Sounds like spaghetti sauce.

Probably get eaten by members of the species felis catus - possibly as a result of that species’ tendency to being raised in single parent households.

The animal models are conforming to what sociology has been teaching us abotu boys being raised in single-parent families all along.

I’d have thought a study of chimps would have been more indicative than one on small rodents.

I think concluding that from this study is going too far. Very few children (if any) grow up in families isolated from contact with other humans. Socialization involves more than just your mother and father.

But I never concluded anything from the study. I only said that the studies on the voles and what not conformed to what sociologists have been telling us for years about fatherless boys being raised by single women.

This is what the article pointed out to.

I grew up without a father. He died when i was very young. And my mother did not remarry until i was in my late teens. I feel i turned out ok. My brothers and sisters did fine too. I also have many friends who grew up in a single parent household. They’re all doing fine, with good careers and happy famlies. Why? Because unlike rodents. We are also blessed with a parent wether they be male or female who can Still install a set of morals and rules onto their children. without the help of a partener. We Humans also have uncles and grandfathers to fill in for a missing father figure. I find it interesting that They are comparing small rodents to humans. A bit like comparing chalk and cheese. Maybe the negative outlook many people have towards single mothers point to their own sub-concious views that their own wives and mothers are too weak and stupid to raise a child on their own? Think about it. does anyone here think that if they were to die and leave their wife/husband behind to raise the kids alone. That their kids will end up social retards?

Admittedly, but the social science data about the negative effects of single-parent households on children – especially fatherless households on boys – is so overwhelming that it ought to convince any but the deliberately obtuse. On the whole, the societal impact of so many children being raised with fathers is negative.

– Mark L. Chance.

Yup.
And that aint no joke.

Interesting. I wonder what your excuses err i mean reasons are for anti social males raised in two parent families?

i think people need to consider averages. Obviously, a single parent can raise well balanced wonderful children. Also, not all children from two parent families turn out well balanced.

But I would hope you would agree that while sometimes necessary, a single parent family is, on average, not the ideal. Fathers pass on traits to their children that mothers cannot, and vice-versa. Also, from a school perspective, I would think its a fair assumption that, on average, children from two parent families perform better in school. I don’t plan on doing the research, but I can make the assessment from my own observation at my children’s school. Again, its all averages. Glad you were blessed with a wonderful mother.

Peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.