How Support for Abortion Became Kennedy Dogma

The following are excerpts which are from an article in the Wall Street Journal.

I am finding it almost impossible to believe how the majority of Catholics could have been blind sided so early in the “Game”.

I don’t know if this is another instance of Church bashing, but what is said about the Kennedys, I believe.

May God have mercy. For the full article, (which is somewhat out of date), go to:

online.wsj.com/article/SB123086375678148323.html

The Wall Street Journal

JANUARY 1, 2009, 10:14 P.M. ET

How Support for Abortion Became Kennedy Dogma

…In some cases, church leaders actually started providing “cover” for Catholic pro-choice politicians who wanted to vote in favor of abortion rights. At a meeting at the Kennedy compound in Hyannisport, Mass., on a hot summer day in 1964, the Kennedy family and its advisers and allies were coached by leading theologians and Catholic college professors on how to accept and promote abortion with a "clear conscience

…The former Jesuit priest Albert Jonsen, emeritus professor of ethics at the University of Washington, recalls the meeting in his book “The Birth of Bioethics” (Oxford, 2003). He writes about how he joined with the Rev. Joseph Fuchs, a Catholic moral theologian; the Rev. Robert Drinan, then dean of Boston College Law School; and three academic theologians, the Revs. Giles Milhaven, Richard McCormick and Charles Curran, to enable the Kennedy family to redefine support for abortion.

How sad. At the heart of all of this is simply a pragmatism and lust for power - at the expense of morality and obedience to Catholic teaching. Pro-choice Catholic politicians are unwilling to do anything that might jeopardize their hold on power. One has to wonder how the equation might change if 1) there was a concerted effort on the part of all the bishops and priests in this country to once and for all hold these politicians accountable for their pro-abortion votes, and 2) larger majorities of Catholic voters voted against these politicians, so their hold on power would be threatened. Then you might have more pro-life Democrats and Republican candidates come on the scene and run for office. And when I say pro-life Democrats, I mean ones who speak out for their pro-life beliefs, not hide them come election time. However, this won’t happen as long as we have so many wishy washy bishops and archbishops in this country. Too often the leaders of the Catholic church make excuses for pro-abort politicians, focusing instead on poverty issues, environmental issues, etc. etc. Until the Catholic church in America becomes unified and clear on this issue, we will have pro-abortion politicians getting away with… murder.

Ishii

It’s like asking the mob for advice on how to legitimize support for knockin somebody off.

One shudders to think about the eternal fates of those priests who advised the Kennedys.

Shudder.:frowning:

The Clintons, Algore they were pro-life until they sold their souls to the Democratic Party.

There use to be a lot of Democrats that were pro-life at the local level but when they go to the national level it’s pro-death or they’re out.

People get mad at me at my Parish when I tell them you can’t be Catholic and a Democrat because of the Party’s platform.

Please sign the petition and send it to your friends;

pewsitter.com/petition

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.