How the Catholic mood about the Trump administration shifted in just a week

The din inside Old St. Patrick’s stopped and the congregation quieted.

“I’m very much in pain,” the priest said. Alluding to a series of executive orders from President Donald J. Trump that are designed to crackdown on undocumented immigrants and ban refugees from entering the country, he continued, “I had to say to myself, where is Christ in this?”

…]

He said that over his 47 years as a priest it has sometimes occurred to him that just because something is legal does not mean it is moral. He offered up the death penalty and abortion as examples.

Then Father Cusick asked, “What we have seen since Friday afternoon, is it right?”

The scene inside Old St. Pat’s was just one of many ways Catholics responded to President Trump’s first week. It began with some high-profile Catholics praising the president but ended with a slew of statements from bishops, Catholic universities and charities expressing shock at how quickly the administration moved in disrupting the lives of migrants and refugees.

…]

A few days later, on Jan. 27, Vice President Mike Pence addressed the March for Life, a massive anti-abortion march held each January in Washington. His appearance, the first ever at the march for a vice president, drew praise from Boston’s Cardinal Sean O’Malley, an advisor to Pope Francis.

“I was very edified by the stance of the Vice President, which was obviously one of a person who is very deeply pro-life,” the cardinal wrote on his blog. “It was not an angry rant but a call for compassion and for understanding, a genuine call for the defense of all human life.”

Though the cardinals praised the Trump administration on abortion, they expressed some concern with his other actions affecting immigration, with hints of a refugee ban already circulating.

On Friday, news broke that the Mr. Trump had signed the executive order that bans Syrian refugees from entering the United States indefinitely, enacts a 120-day block on all refugees seeking entry into the country and reduces by half the total number of refugees the United States plans to resettle in 2017.

That development led the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops to publish its third statement of the week condemning a Trump executive order: The first condemned an executive order speeding up the proposal to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border; the second condemned Mr. Trump’s plan to pull federal funds from sanctuary cities; and the one released last Friday condemned the refugee ban.

…]

As the weekend progressed, several bishops added their voices to the mix.

On Sunday, Cardinal Blase Cupich of Chicago called the developments “a dark moment in U.S. history,” and Bishop Robert McElroy of San Diego said the president’s “executive order is the introduction into law of campaign sloganeering rooted in xenophobia and religious prejudice.”

That afternoon, about 500 Catholics gathered for Mass in front of the White House, praying for those affected by the president’s executive orders.

americamagazine.org/politics-society/2017/01/30/how-catholic-mood-about-trump-administration-shifted-just-week

Wow.
Humbled.

Bump

It’s good to hear of others that share concern for the well being of fellow human beings. The new stance that the USA is being lead to on its place within the world community is disheartening.

Catholics, by their faith, would want to see that happens in the country and governance. So it is not surprising for them to voice out their opinion on what they see. That is good because it means that they can think for themselves.

Politic is a complex thing thus the bottom line for us, if it is good and foster our religious value then we are for it. If on the hand it is against it, then we cannot support or be a part of it. We cannot be a part of sin and unbelief.

:thumbsup:

America Magazine is hardly a neutral source when it comes to Trump, and Michael O’Loughlin is also writer for the gay magazine The Advocate which advocates for SSM,etc. and for the dissident Catholic (er, is it allowed to call itself Catholic at the moment?) paper, The National Catholic Reporter.

America is the publication of the Society of Jesus in the United States.

It’s pretty hard to make a case that the Jesuits are dissident, or anti-Catholic (you know, what with the Pope being one and all).

America is put out by the Jesuits.
(the JESUITS OOoooooo :eek:)

Trump-lovers just can’t help themselves. They label people with tags that de-humanize.
Well, the Catholic Church will stand up to people like yourself just like it did 80 years ago.

Label people with tags that dehumanize? You mean, like calling people Nazis, Nazi sympathizers, racists, homophobes, xenophobes, islamaphobes, deplorables?

Talk about false labels, you are falsely labeling me, and dishonestly caricature my post.

I never suggested anything untoward about the Jesuits, nor that America Magazine might not be Catholic. My comment calling into question the Catholicism of a publication clearly referred to the NCReporter, who, unlike America, has been censured for calling itself Catholic.

America Magazine is, however, naturally not for Trump, as it has strongly advocated for social justice and immigrants’ rights for decades. They have published critical opinions and editorials of Trump since Trump jumped into the primary race. That’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. Anyone tapped into Catholic media knows that. If you think that makes me anti-Jesuit or pro-Trump, then YOU are being completely silly, not to mention divisive and labeling me. I went to Jesuit schools, my spiritual director is a Jesuit… heck, I’m signed up for an Ignatian retreat here in a couple of months, run by, of course, Jesuits.

It’s bizarre that anyone would waive me off as anti-Jesuit. And the notion that I’m a Trump-lover is hysterical. Everything I said about Michael O’Loughlin is verifiably true, and relevant to his bias with respect the piece on Trump. What you’ve suggested about me, on the other hand, is a smear. It’s sad that you have to smear a person when he calls attention to inconvenient facts… :shrug:

Relax. I’m not smearing you. I’ll write my misunderstanding off to poor reading comprehension, or perhaps a natural misunderstanding of why *America *was included in the same sentence with the National Catholic Reporter, which you did link to *America *by pointing out that they share a writer.

Not just any writer, the writer of this article. Michael O’Loughlin may be a nice fellow, but his choice of other publications to write for (namely, The Advocate and the NCR) are highly questionable. I’ve read some of his pieces, though more in Crux and Huffpo , over the years. Again, seems like a nice guy, but he clearly has an agenda.

While I appreciate the sentiment, if they are concerned about issues rather than politics, why didn’t they say something when the Obama Administration did the same thing?

It just comes across as disingenuous when they try to take the mantle of morality on one administration, yet remained silent on another.

We need people (leaders) to stand for what is right because it is right. Not because the other party is doing it.

Thanks for the post.

quote=ThinkingSapien;14447614]It’s good to hear of others that share concern for the well being of fellow human beings. The new stance that the USA is being lead to on its place within the world community is disheartening.
Part of the on-looking world community. Sad. Concerned. Even afraid.

Im a little surprised that there is buyers remorse by Catholics over Trump. The only reason I voted for him was over abortion issues. Everyone should have known what he has done with immigration was going to happen. This should come as no surprise. I do not like how far he has gone with this, I never wanted this level of, how do you characterize it, zeal, of anti-immigration.

I knew however, that this was going to happen. We only had Hillary and the Don to chose from. This was the price to save the lives of the unborn. I do not like Trump’s stance, or maybe I should say the magnitude of his policies on immigration, but this is the price we Catholics had to pay in order to save the lives of the unborn. We who voted for Trump simply could not vote for a baby butcher.

All that being said, none of this other stuff that came along with Trump should come as a surprise. All Trump voters, the Vatican, the Bishops, we all knew what we were getting into. I am not at all against Catholics showing displeasure of Trumps immigration policies, maybe we can curb or moderate his actions by making our displeasure known, but let us also be honest about how we all knew what we were getting ourselves into by installing Trump as President. Whining about this other stuff later is being totally disingenuous.

How about we all read this interview for a little perspective

cruxnow.com/interviews/2017/02/02/iraq-prelate-backs-preference-minority-refugees-fleeing-genocide/

Perhaps by next weeks’s end the Catholic mood will have shifted again.

Deplorable was especially sweet wasn’t it?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.