How the Sugar Industry Shifted Blame to Fat

nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html

**The sugar industry paid scientists in the 1960s to play down the link between sugar and heart disease and promote saturated fat as the culprit instead, newly released historical documents show.

The internal sugar industry documents, recently discovered by a researcher at the University of California, San Francisco, and published Monday in JAMA Internal Medicine, suggest that five decades of research into the role of nutrition and heart disease, including many of today’s dietary recommendations, may have been largely shaped by the sugar industry.

“They were able to derail the discussion about sugar for decades,” said Stanton Glantz, a professor of medicine at U.C.S.F. and an author of the JAMA Internal Medicine paper.**

The article continues at the link.

Reminds me of the notorious “MARIHUANA: Weed With Roots in HELL!” poster sponsored by, that’s right, the Brewers’ Association of America. Some things never change. :rolleyes:

Oh dear me! My rule is never ever to believe any of this and make up my own mind…

The health risks of sugar are different from those of fat. I doubt the sugar industry played a significant role in research or public awareness; if they had not gotten involved, we would still know the problems associated with fat.

I’m not of the opinion that sugar consumption is all that involved with heart disease. It might help some with loosing weight though.

A doctor who sight I follow that studies heart disease recently wrote a long series of articles on what he believes in largely responsible for heart attacks. His basic finding is that stress plays a major role. He summed up his series in the last post, which can be read below. It was a good read.

What causes heart disease part XX

drmalcolmkendrick.org/2016/08/21/what-causes-heart-disease-part-xx/

I love eating both sugar AND fat!
I’m doomed. :frowning:

I don’t think it’s either/or. Stress, genetics, (lack of) exercise, sodium, types of fat, sugars, smoking, drug use – all are contributors to heart disease. One needs moderation in all things.

The other problem with all this is that there always seems to be some study which “proves” all previous studies wrong. Fat bad! No, unsaturated fat good, saturated fat bad! No, wait, saturated fat not bad, really, but trans-fat bad! No, wait, unsaturated fat not good, either. So drink red wine, good against fat! Oops, no, sorry, all alcohol bad! :rolleyes:

Glad someone else had cottoned on to this. I saw it years ago… I am challenged just managing to eat enough anyways. Not over or underweight, my last bloodwork was fine…

I love salt and fat. I love me a pepperoni with extra cheese pizza.

I am also doomed.

Try to find any company or industry that wants you to use less of their product. That tagline used after beer commercials is “please drink responsibly.” It means drink as much as you can without killing our customers. Food companies sell reduced calorie versions so you can eat more of them.

Self control and personal responsibility have been noticeably lacking since Adam and Eve just had to try for a little bit more than was good for them.

I’m not dumb; I sprinkle splenda on my lard before I take a bite.

My grandmother has told me when she was young she ate lard and sugar sandwiches. She is pushing 100 and doing just fine.

It is not the sugar industry’s desire for people to use more of their product that is being criticized. It is for subverting the integrity of scientific researchers to do it.

Ewwww, lard. Don’t know why she did that. When I was a kid, we considered a sugar-only sandwich entirely sufficient. Of course, one had to be careful and eat it outside because the sugar had a tendency to fall out. Maybe that’s why the lard. :rotfl::rotfl:

That was probably all she had the whole day. That and less labor saving gadgets back in the day will help negate all the effects of that sandwich.

There are some people who drive 60 mph in school zones and never hit a kid or get caught. There are some people who never brush their teeth and don’t get periodontal disease. There are some people who take heroin and are able to hold down a job. There are people who have promiscuous sex and don’t get STDs. Just because there are some people who get away with these things, that does not mean any of these actions are safe or that you can do them and get away with it.

Don’t be silly–you’re supposed to use butter to hold the sugar in place.

I had no idea my grandmother was such a renegade by doing such a dangerous thing as eating that sandwich. :eek:

My grandparent on the other side of the family were dairy farmers and drank raw milk. I suppose they are almost equivalent to being in a biker gang?

My sister used to do that when we were kids. But I didn’t like butter at the time, and wouldn’t do that. Besides, a pure sugar sandwich is surely crunchier.:slight_smile:

But the best thing of all was making a “cake” out of bread and jelly when I was a kid. Easy to do. You just take a slice of bread and coat it all around with jelly. Then put another piece of bread on top and do the same. Another and another. Then slice it like a cake and eat it. Gooooooood!

My mother didn’t like us doing that, though. A waste of both bread and jelly, she thought, and quite a mess because it left the dish (usually a saucer) smeared with jelly and crumbs.

I had a more sophisticated palate. I used cinnamon sugar on toast lightly buttered. The only time I had a problem with that is when my sister replaced the sugar with salt.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.