How to address

Yesterday we had a party at my house and my husband helped his sister to her car with her kids. Her oldest (3 1/2) spit in her face and hit her. My husband corrected him and she said to him something along the lines of it not being nice and she was now not going to talk to him. My husband is appauled at how our nephew treated his mother, but moreso how his sister reacted to her son. Her little boy is the only one in his preschool class sent to the office. My sil is extremely sensitive and I believe she is approaching her son's discipline through her sensitive and fragile nature. My husband wants to address her discipline (or lack thereof) to her (because her son is ALWAYS wild when around unless my husband or I step in to give him forced time outs where we have to hold him). I know that sil won't really listen to husband but she listens to my advice so my husband asked me to talk to her "in my way" as we call it. But I don't know if I should butt out and just continue disciplining him when he's by us.

[quote="gmarie21, post:1, topic:226190"]
Yesterday we had a party at my house and my husband helped his sister to her car with her kids. Her oldest (3 1/2) spit in her face and hit her. My husband corrected him and she said to him something along the lines of it not being nice and she was now not going to talk to him. My husband is appauled at how our nephew treated his mother, but moreso how his sister reacted to her son. Her little boy is the only one in his preschool class sent to the office. My sil is extremely sensitive and I believe she is approaching her son's discipline through her sensitive and fragile nature. My husband wants to address her discipline (or lack thereof) to her (because her son is ALWAYS wild when around unless my husband or I step in to give him forced time outs where we have to hold him). I know that sil won't really listen to husband but she listens to my advice so my husband asked me to talk to her "in my way" as we call it. But I don't know if I should butt out and just continue disciplining him when he's by us.

[/quote]

Have a talk with her....see what happens. I'd say she should get some help with him or behavior will get worse...

Definitely talk to her. It's important for families to help one another in situations like this. If she is not a forceful person by nature she may need help trying to get her child into a disciplinary routine.

I take it there is no dad on the scene? Little boys don’t usually act like this when they have a daddy to pick them up by the seat of their pants and look them right in the eye and say “Stop it.” Or whatever form of discipline Daddy and Mommy agree on. This little dude needs a wall to run up against, or he’s going to be in even more trouble over time. And giving a child the silent treatment is just stupid and ineffective.

I would say your husband needs to sit his sister down and explain a few things to her, and then stay really heavily involved in this little guy’s life, always holding him to a higher standard and establishing BOUNDARIES which is what he needs to keep his behavior sane. I hope he can get through to her…there are a lot of these kids growing up now…

:mad::frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.