How to answer a 6th-grader who asks "Are you saved?"

I teach 6th-Grade PRE and have only one more class to answer a child who asked me to tell her how to answer a classmate at her public school who asked “Are you saved?” Everything I’ve researched in the forums is pretty heavy for this age. Anyone have any advice?

I’ve asked this in the Apologetics Forum, but it hasn’t yet been (if it ever will be) answered.

I promised her an answer…

Thanks for your help,

Boswell

I don't know if this would be appropriate for a 6th grader, but I think the best answer I ever heard went something like this:

Yes, I am saved every single day. Every time I choose love over hate, I am saved. Every time I choose forgiveness over holding a grudge, I am saved. Every time I choose generosity over selfishness, I am saved. Day in and day out, I am saved. Thanks be to God!

[quote="SuscipeMeDomine, post:2, topic:324311"]
I don't know if this would be appropriate for a 6th grader, but I think the best answer I ever heard went something like this:

Yes, I am saved every single day. Every time I choose love over hate, I am saved. Every time I choose forgiveness over holding a grudge, I am saved. Every time I choose generosity over selfishness, I am saved. Day in and day out, I am saved. Thanks be to God!

[/quote]

That's great!

:thumbsup:

But that other 6th grader wouldn't get it - he or she has obviously been trained just to ask that question and if the answer is "no" or "I don't know," then he will probably lead the unsaved person in the Jesus prayer. I greatly dislike parents who train their young children to do these kinds of things.

Catholics can answer that yes, we are saved by the blood of Jesus Christ. That's true and will end the discussion, if you want to end it. If not, you can ask if the person means that once I confess with my mouth that Jesus is my Savior, am I saved forever? Catholics definitely do NOT believe that - our sins can send us to Hell, and life isn't as cut and dried as just saying a prayer and getting a "Get Out of Hell Free" card.

I couldn’t think of a better reply.:thumbsup:

I would answer the same as I would answer an adult. If the answer is too deep for the child, maybe [s]he will be embarrassed enough no quit asking personal questions of his/her elders.\

I don't know about the perfect theological soundness of such a short answer, but I would be tempted to say:

"Yes, I am saved by Christ. Now I only have to persevere to the end, and never reject Him."

[quote="DaveBj, post:5, topic:324311"]
I would answer the same as I would answer an adult. If the answer is too deep for the child, maybe [s]he will be embarrassed enough no quit asking personal questions of his/her elders.\

[/quote]

No, it's an answer for a child of the same age who has been asked that question by a peer. So it needs to be geared for a 6th grader to a 6th grader. Re-read the OP.

“How can anyone know, when the Bible tells us to WORK OUT our salvation in fear and trembling?” :confused:

I am saved. I'm not afraid of losing my salvation like I would misplace a pair of glasses, but I can choose to ignore it and let it die, or throw it away.

:shrug:

By the grace of God, I am being saved.

I am saved, I am being saved, I am working out my salvation with fear and trembling.

[quote="mark_a, post:11, topic:324311"]
I am saved, I am being saved, I am working out my salvation with fear and trembling.

[/quote]

This.

This question is discussed in detail at Catholic Bible 101.

The short answer is: "According to the Bible, I have been saved, I'm being saved, and I hope to be saved, but I must work out my own salvation with fear and trembling."

We have always said “I was saved when I was baptized and original sin was washed off my soul. I am being saved each day when I make a “God decision” over a “Me decision,” and I will be saved when Christ comes back in the final judgement since I have given my whole life to Him daily.”

Seems to work pretty well :slight_smile:

Have a great weekend everyone!

Chloe M

I’ve seen other good answers already. I would be inclined to say something along these lines:

“Jesus has promised us that if we remain faithful to him, he will save us. I believe he will keep his promise, and that he gives us the grace and strength we need to remain faithful.”

Tell them "God, Our Father, loves us so much that He saves us everyday from ourselves if we ask Him". He is saving us, and perfecting us, everyday until we are with Him in heaven.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.