How to approach an anti Catholic professor?

My professor of African American History has so many misconceptions about the Church and Christianity in general. First off, he claims that Catholics force their views on others and deny women their “constitutional” rights of aborting their babies. He also claims that the Catholic Church is a sexist and anti-gay organization that is intolerant of any lifestyle that is not a Catholic lifestyle. He says that Catholic hospitals justify their protesting against a woman’s right to abort her baby and use contraception by claiming that it infringes upon their religious freedom. This claim, however, repulsed me the most; he said that Pope Benedict condoned sexual relations between adults and children as long as they were consensual. The whole class sort of all said in unison “ew.” I even heard one kid say that he “can’t believe how messed up Catholics are.”

This man is spewing out lies and misconceptions about the Church, and the students in the class are actually defending his views and buying into them. To what extent should I correct my professor? From past experiences, I know that he sort of holds grudges towards “anti-gay” and “anti-women’s rights” advocates. I also tried to correct him when he said that the Christian gospels were developed in the 4th century AD. I provided historical records and evidence showing that they were authored in the first century and that Jesus did exist. He simply said to me that he is not so sure about my evidence and that he’ll look into it and get back to me. He never got back to me.

How am I supposed to deal with this guy?!

YosefYosep said** : "My professor of African American History has so many misconceptions about the Church and Christianity in general. First off, he claims that Catholics force their views on others… He also claims that the Catholic Church is… He says that Catholic hospitals… This claim, however, repulsed me the most; he said that Pope Benedict condoned sexual relations between adults and children as long as they were consensual.

This man is spewing out lies and misconceptions about the Church, and the students in the class are actually defending his views and buying into them. To what extent should I correct my professor?"**

I recommend that you do NOTHING about it.
You’ve got a Catholic-hater for your Professor.
Do you think that if you say the MAGIC WORDS, that he will change his Opinion?
If not, then you are (1) Wasting your time … and … (2) Setting yourself up for further Disappointment.
After all, you can lead a Bigot to Water, but you can’t make him Drink.

You ALREADY confronted your Bigot Professor, and it didn’t work out at all.
So, you will finish this particular College Class in a few Weeks anyway.
Then, your Problem will be Solved.

Why don’t you report him so that he can relize what he is saying is hurting others.

What annoys me is that if he said anything bad towards a gay person or he said a raciet comment he would get into trouble right away. but toward catholic well that ok and nothing happens.

If I was you I would report him and tell whom you go to what you said here that This man is spewing out lies and misconceptions about the Church, and the students in the class are actually defending his views and buying into them

He is their to teach not to try and destroy a religon

You MUST do something. Greater minds than his (St. Augustine, C.S. Lewis, G.K.Chesterton, Fr. Felix LeSeur, O.P., etc.) have converted, and your silence would be a poor witness for the Faith.

What this professor is doing is hate speech, and must be addressed.

1. Fast and pray. Without our Lord giving you direction, and your prayers and sacrifices for your professor, you will likely be unsuccessful.
  2. Forgive your professor. Forgiveness is a practice, you will find yourself doing it over and over again for this man.
  3. Love your professor. “G-d loves each of us as if there we.re only one of us.” ~ St. Augustine. Christ died on the Cross for your professor just as he died for you. Pray for the grace to love him.
  4. Now you can begin going through the procedure your school has in place for dealing with a hateful professor. You will probably have to start with talking to him directly, in which case you should either request to make a video of the meeting, or have a third party in the meeting. You will then likely have to talk to a department head, faculty advisor, dean; follow the process to the letter. And always “put on Christ,” as St. Paul instructs us.

Now when a teacher says something bad about Catholics nobody does a thing.

Now when a teacher says something bad about a gay or an ethnic minority. Everyone Loses Their Minds!!!

Amen. Put On The Armour Of Christ. Keep The Faith.

Talk to the dean of your college or your academic dean. They should be able to address the situation.

He is a professor of history not of religion. He should stick to the point. You can report him but you may have to suffer the consequences.

Complain, complain, complain. What does any of this have to do with African American studies?

You should ask to speak to him after class or during office hours. Record your conversation just in case. Then explain to him that his facts are not accurate (the corrected info might help here) and that you feel you are being discriminated against. If he doesn’t tone it down then take the matter to his department chair or the dean.

This advice comes from a college mathematics instructor.

You need to do something…

The fact that his diatribe continued after you corrected him the first time makes him a bully as well as a bigot. As the Maths professor above advised; make your objections clear and go to the Dean if he persists.

Also; work VERY hard in his class. His sort would fail you for spite. If that happens; have copies of all of your work to hand. Good luck and may St. Michael be by your side in this wretched and necessary business.

Jenny x

Jenny, I had the misfortune of taking what was SUPPOSED to be an “Introduction To Theology” at a “Catholic” university. The class was actually comparitive theology (various religions besides Christianity), using umbrella terminology like “myth” to describe a belief system. I have a quick temper, and had to work very hard to stay calm so I could make reasoned arguments. The instructor, a nominal Catholic, dissented and misrepresented the Faith constantly, and I fought her at every chance. She still gave me an “A.” :eek: Ridiculous!
Just relating an experience.

I will say a prayer for you.

Wow!

Just. . . unbelievable!

Stick to it; there are MANY people who feel they know about the Catholic church and Christianity, but all it boils down to are slams by televised cynics.

How many of the people around us know what original sin is?

Don’t bother. Smile and nod. On his exams, just regurgitate whatever he tells you. After your final grade is in, then you can take him to task.

I would suggest doing as David suggested. You should also talk to him and see if he will see reason, though. But, most of all, I suggest recording him when you speak to him (without him seeing you) and recording his lectures. That way, you have proof. You can take it to the Dean, a lawyer (there are good of lawyer organizations devoted to preserving religious freedom), and Catholic-friendly media.

However, I must reiterate that you try to reason with him first.

Ah, he said it better. Hopefully, that will be the end of it. Just be sure he doesn’t know he’s being recorded.

Record his lectures and make sure you get all those comments in your recording. Then go to the dean of the department and complain. Make sure to tell him that you have recorded evidence and make a backup before you hand it over if he asks for it. This is unacceptable.

If a professor said that “the gay movement forces their opinions on others”, he would face a lot of heat for it and might even have his job threatened, in spite of the fact that this is essentially true. Don’t let him get away with misrepresenting and slandering the Catholic faith just because its popular and he can. But you’re better off handling it with the dean than with him one-on-one, in spite of what the movies say. :wink:

Male sure it is legally right to record someone without their knowledge

Why would that be a problem? :confused: Myth sounds like a fitting word in this case.

I have a quick temper, and had to work very hard to stay calm so I could make reasoned arguments. The instructor, a nominal Catholic, dissented and misrepresented the Faith constantly, and I fought her at every chance. She still gave me an “A.” :eek: Ridiculous!
Just relating an experience.

I won’t defend misrepresentations, of course.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.