How to avoid eating too much?

I've noticed that when I'm at home with my family or at others' homes as a guest, I often end up eating more than I really need to. Part of this, of course, is due to the food just being around and my eating it thoughtlessly. But part of it has to do with other people. I'm a small person with a fairly small need for calories, so it often looks to others like I'm not eating enough, and leads to suspicions that I'm dieting. Because I'm worried about seeming impolite, I end up trying to finish a normal-size portion that's too big for me, or accepting offers of food when I'm not really hungry.

I'd really like to stop doing this. I don't have weight problems, but I'd like to stay healthy and don't want to be tempted to gluttony (because even though I may not eat a lot, I still love good food). I don't think it's a good habit to eat more than you need for sustenance. It'll probably get better once I go back to school and am feeding myself, but until then - does anyone have suggestions about how to eat less without offending or worrying others?

Quite simply, you are suffering from “human respect” - allowing what other people might think to influence your actions or words. This is actually a sin (venial for the most part)!

Why should you care is others think you are dieting? Do not allow them to influence you. Eat only what you need and if anyone says anything to you about the small amount you eat, smile, thank them and politely refuse to accept any more. If anyone (impolitely) actually puts more food on your plate, simply leave it there.

You will probably feel guilty for a while, but you should feel more guilty if you give in and eat what you do not need and risk damaging your health. Be resolute! You may have to lay it on the line for one or two (those who are too dense to take a polite hint), actually telling them that they need to respect you as the adult you are and not treat you like a small child.

Pray for those who are pressuring you.

Sister Joan brings a lot of good points...You eat for you and not for others..Sometime people who have trouble with self control like to justify it
by making you feel you need to to be like them...My beloved wife had to change to a gluten free diet..She is 5'7" and 112...My sister who weighs 150-160 says to me about her being "dangerously thin"... She feels great...We think she should change her weight/diet but we just let it go and eat our portions and say I'm done...It's your body , your caring for...May the Lord give you the grace you need to handle this situation graciously...K

Re: How to avoid eating too much?
Sister Joan brings a lot of good points...You eat for you and not for others..Sometime people who have trouble with self control like to justify it
by making you feel you need to to be like them...My beloved wife had to change to a gluten free diet..She is 5'7" and 112...My sister who weighs 150-160 says to me about her being "dangerously thin"... She feels great...We think she should change her weight/diet but we just let it go and eat our portions and say I'm done...It's your body , your caring for...May the Lord give you the grace you need to handle this situation graciously...K

Regardless of how she feels 112 IS underweight. She should be in constant communication with a dr to make sure that her body is not "eating" her muscles and other vital tissues in order to stay alive.

I'd really like to stop doing this. I don't have weight problems, but I'd like to stay healthy and don't want to be tempted to gluttony (because even though I may not eat a lot, I still love good food). I don't think it's a good habit to eat more than you need for sustenance. It'll probably get better once I go back to school and am feeding myself, but until then - does anyone have suggestions about how to eat less without offending or worrying others?

I would eat what you want but be sensitive to other's especially if there are cultural expectations. For instance I wouldn't upset my 88yo grandmother because I couldn't finish my food. It is VERY important people eat what they are given.

I would simply say to people (as I actually do) that I don't eat big meals because I like to snack. Also, choose healthy options such as veggies, fruit or whole wheat instead of things like chips and dip and peperoni.

She just had and appt last month and her doc was very pleased on how she is doing…Gluten free got rid of a lot of gas/ bloating and other bowel issues…We walk about everyday and she does her treadmill routine in the AM before work…He is the unconventional type that work with vitamins/supplements and hands out drugs sparingly…She is 5"3" , my typo…God Bless…

[quote="Hiskid1973, post:5, topic:208369"]
She just had and appt last month and her doc was very pleased on how she is doing....Gluten free got rid of a lot of gas/ bloating and other bowel issues..We walk about everyday and she does her treadmill routine in the AM before work..He is the unconventional type that work with vitamins/supplements and hands out drugs sparingly..She is 5"3" , my typo..God Bless..

[/quote]

5'3" lol that makes a big difference. (I'm an active 5'4" who's 117ish). I know, and was reminded of how important vitamins are so muscles are not destroyed. So I eat more calories and food when I do things like kayak 3 miles (with a 45lb dog also in the kayak) or hike 10 miles. But in the pursuit of health some people do wind up too thin and feel healthy, as my brother once did and do wind up injured.

I'm glad that your wife is doing well and feels better. Have you tried rice and lentils? Toss the dry rice and lentils in the pan with some garlic and bullion and boil. it's super easy and a great gluten free meal. (as long as you get non-enriched rice, enriched rice may contain gluten).

[quote="purplesunshine, post:6, topic:208369"]
5'3" lol that makes a big difference. (I'm an active 5'4" who's 117ish). I know, and was reminded of how important vitamins are so muscles are not destroyed. So I eat more calories and food when I do things like kayak 3 miles (with a 45lb dog also in the kayak) or hike 10 miles. But in the pursuit of health some people do wind up too thin and feel healthy, as my brother once did and do wind up injured.

I'm glad that your wife is doing well and feels better. Have you tried rice and lentils? Toss the dry rice and lentils in the pan with some garlic and bullion and boil. it's super easy and a great gluten free meal. (as long as you get non-enriched rice, enriched rice may contain gluten).

[/quote]

We eat a lot of rice and some lentils..Dr oz calls lentils a super food..We are into organic gardening..We eat a lot of stir-fry with olive oil..We really feel our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit and do what we can to eat right...We eat very little red meat. but do eat venison from my BIL..We eat hormone free chicken my beloved marinates in a homemade ranch dressing...We make our own almond and rice milk to use in place of cows m...I always thought about the new heaven and earth...The old burned with fire..Is that because of sin or a combination of all our pollution and destruction...Grace and peace to you..kim

How to keep others from trying to make you eat more? Take the amount right for you, eat it, compliment the cook, and say, "Oh, no thank you, what I had was just perfect!" with a big smile, of course. Then pick up the non-food conversation where you left off.

Betsy

[quote="Aetheria, post:1, topic:208369"]
It'll probably get better once I go back to school and am feeding myself, but until then - does anyone have suggestions about how to eat less without offending or worrying others?

[/quote]

Eat more slowly than they do - it will seem as if you are consuming the same amount, when really you are consuming less. :)

I second this! If everyone starts the meal at the same time, and ends around the same time many are going to be focused on their own plates and not on the bite speed of someone else.

Here’s a tip it took me awhile to learn. If you completely eliminate some foods from your diet for a long time after a while you loose almost all desire for them at all. Fried foods, high sugar…(ok well I do indulge here from from time to time but it’s all about moderation and I don’t make a habit of it), high salty foods, starches, carbs. It’s hard for me since I’m a picky eater but I don’t buy the stuff I know I would eat too much of. I exercise and stay active and have lived this way for well over a decade. It’s reaped lots of rewards like more energy, I look much younger then I am, and have virtually no health problems which with my family history is a miracle.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I like jmcrae's suggestion to eat more slowly. I tend to want to eat quickly so I can sit around and talk uninterrupted after meals :D but you're right, seeing an empty plate probably does prompt people to offer more food.

Also, lentils are awesome. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.