How to Avoid Purgatory

I just loaded some free ebooks on my website on Purgatory. They explain how to live your life so that you can avoid Purgatory. They also explain how to pray for the souls in Purgatory. They should be mandatory reading for all Catholics. Please let me know what you think of the website. I will add more ebooks if my bandwidth permits it. Here is the link: catholicinfocenter.com/cicpages/Purgatory.shtml

I just recently bought the book, Purgatory by Fr. F. X. Schouppe.

I agree with you.

Excellent idea! I agree that we should all be shooting for Heaven and not Purgatory. :slight_smile:

Yes, we should be aiming as high as possible. And, if Heaven and Purgatory were the only options available, I’d choose Heaven if the choice were up to me.

But, frankly, given the third possibility that does in fact exist, I’d be quite satisfied to hear I was going to Purgatory – no matter how painful it might be – because I would know where I would end up afterwards.

I recommend The Teaching of St. Therese of Lisiex on Purgatory by Father Dr. Hubert van Dijk, ORC. :thumbsup:

– Cadian :knight1:

That is a good link I will add it. I also added “Read It or Rue It” by Fr Paul O’Sullivan.

Try picking up The Handbook of Indulgences, norms and grants.
THere’s some really great stuff in there!

By the way, there is a SUPER DUPER PLENERY INDULGENCE AT THE MOMENT OF DEATH- we’ll the Church doesn’t quite call it that, but it really is. Here are the requirements:

1. Be in a state of grace.
  2. Want the Indulgence.
  3. Die.
    That’s it- a plenery indulgence, no purgatory time, straight to heaven! Whenever i get a chance I tell people about it becuse I really hate the thought of sticking it out through purgatory when I could have gotten the indulgence this easily

Fr. Paul O’Sullivan had another good book (which I own in addition to the two others mentioned): “An Easy Way to Become A Saint.” While not about Purgatory like the other books, it gives a lot of helpful advice on how to become a saint- which is a surefire way to avoid Purgatory! :thumbsup:

but remember that to gain a plenary indulgence, the person must also be unattached to any venial sin :wink: and that’s pretty hard, though of course possible (and no doubt God gives this grace to those who have loved Him well during their lives). If you’re still attached to some sin though, as long as you’re in a state of grace, you can still get a partial indulgence, which is still pretty good!! :thumbsup: :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for posting this thread! I’ve gained a lot just by reading the first article.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.