How to battle against the ways of Hip Hop and Rap?

It seems that most teens are sucked into the ways of Hip Hop, and Rap. Many look up to people like Lady-Gaga, and Kesha, and Lil Wayne and I don't like it? How can I as a 16 year old Catholic fight against this and encourage others to see the impurities of this genre of music?
HOW DO FIGHT IT? Because it seems Christ words "Weep not for me, but for your children" Luke 23:28 are coming into effect.

I would find artists that's message is wholesome. I once heard a rap song on our local Catholic radio station that was a rap about Adoration. I couldn't tell you who the artist is, but I do NOT like rap and I was enthralled with that song. So there are evidently Catholic artists out there who use that type of music to get their message out. So I would do some research. If there's a Catholic radio station in your area, listen to their play lists.

I second the suggestion in finding artists whose work is wholesome. My old roommate was a Christian who listened to Christian rap.

If that doesn’t work I can guarantee you that there has to be some wholesome secular rap/hip hop somewhere. Ever try looking for underground hip hop? There might be something there.

I'm in agreeance. Quit acting like secual music is the devil incarnate. There are plenty of secular rap, hip hop and rock songs that are perfectly fine. The local Christian station here plays a lot of clean secular music.

[quote="shondrea, post:4, topic:196782"]
I'm in agreeance. Quit acting like secual music is the devil incarnate. There are plenty of secular rap, hip hop and rock songs that are perfectly fine. The local Christian station here plays a lot of clean secular music.

[/quote]

I really have to second this, too. Secular music isn't inherently evil and there is plenty of stuff that is not morally offensive in any way. I'd even argue that much of it is good.

[quote="CatholicOf94, post:1, topic:196782"]
It seems that most teens are sucked into the ways of Hip Hop, and Rap. Many look up to people like Lady-Gaga, and Kesha, and Lil Wayne and I don't like it? How can I as a 16 year old Catholic fight against this and encourage others to see the impurities of this genre of music?
HOW DO FIGHT IT? Because it seems Christ words "Weep not for me, but for your children" Luke 23:28 are coming into effect.

[/quote]

Find music you like and listen to that. Find friends that like the music you like and listen to it together. You have the freedom to listen to what you want as do others. :harp:

[quote="CatholicOf94, post:1, topic:196782"]

[/quote]

Well just because you may enjoy a certain type of music doesn't mean you will go out and act the way they they do or the way people in their videos do. You can also find instrumenal versions out there of songs with 'bad' lyrics, yet have a really good beat. I've listened to and enjoy all sorts of music from a young age. I never did drugs, never drank underage and I've been chaste my whole life. It didn't affect me negatively.

While the themes of some popular music might not be admirable at all, it is up to you to lead by example. That in my opinion is the best way to do anything. Don't preach to them and tell them they are wrong, teens and most people don't like to hear that stuff. Just demonstrate via actions how to live a moral life. That will influence your friends and people you see on a regular basis more so than any song ever will.

And by the way... Lady GaGa isn't HipHop or Rap.

there's nothing wrong with any style of music, look at message, intent, and lyrics, then decide what is good and what is bad. There is no "evil sound" lurking about in the world of music.

I personally think it's a matter of prudence. I personally avoid certain songs because I don't like the message. For instance, there are a few Marilyn Manson songs I listen to because they are relatively innocuous songs whereas other songs by him I won't listen to because they're just bad. I also like the overall sound of the band IAMX but since their lyrics deal with sex and decadence I try not to listen to them because they aren't the best lyrics to be listening to.

Remember prudence is key here.

I would definitely have to say hip hop as a genre is not inherently “bad” or even un-musical. For example, ever listen to Herbie Hancock? He’s a famous jazz keyboardist who played with Miles Davis in the 60s and several songs from his solo career are jazz standards, but he also started experimenting with hip hop in the 80s. All his music is very interesting.

I am fanatical about Opera and that's full of murder, intrigue, extra marital affairs, 45 yr olds playing the parts of 16 yr olds - you name it. At it's height it was the pop music of Italy and other nations. Watching the heroine commit suicide at the end of an opera does not influence me to rush out and do the same. I know it is art and it's not real.

When it comes to rap and hip-hop they are genres that have now been around since the early 1980s, so 30 years. Some people will like this style of music and some will not. I agree that there are many artists and certain songs that are not appealing and sending negative messages but that is an individual artist and not a fault of the genre. If you want to show that it can send a positive message then do some research about particular artists. If you visit a Christian or Gospel music store or website you should easily find artists with a positive message. All popular music: Jazz, rock and roll, hard rock, country etc. is capable of communicating a positive or negative message.

One Catholic rapper that comes to mind is Righteous B who is orthodox and runs a youth ministry called Dirty Vagabond with his wife. They have 5 young children. Many rap and hip-hop artists originally came out of urban working class areas and many times their music was positive and a political statement (although secular) and the artists who created it were able to make a positive difference and life for themselves, they were/are not all gang members or reflecting the darkness of life around them. (I do agree there is plenty of that).

Catholicof94 you will not "fight it" by criticizing the music choices of your peers. Evangelism happens through relationships. So to "fight it" I would suggest starting some kind of fun, positive activity that helps to create healthy relationships. Maybe a service project.

Pray for the musicians that you feel are singing and playing evil music. They're human beings who need to know the Lord Jesus and become part of the Catholic Church. Pray for them.

Rap is the bomb.
Just don’t tell your mom.

Keep posting on this board.
Watch my lyrics get floored.

I can’t deem another rhyme.
And now I’m outta time.

The best way to battle rap and hip hop is to expose the person to better music. Have you ever noticed the only people that blare music next to you at a traffic light are always clowns playing either heavy metal or rap/hip hop? I don’t think it is a coincidence.

youtube.com/watch?v=7y8zpAzOpgo
youtube.com/watch?v=hqeQ4Gcy1a8

Probably one of the best ways.

I like to listen to Hip Hop and Rap. I DO NOT like the messages Lady Gaga and Kesha put out. One good Christian rapper is MG! He is like Lil' Wayne but talking about to trust in Jesus. Look up Tis' So Sweet by MG!. God Bless!

You may want to look up Fr Stan Fortuna, Lecrae, Matisyahu(a Hasidic Jew who sings about OT using reggae, rap, some rock), and there are many others. Maybe you could listen to a few songs from these guys and when your friends come up to you about rap or something ask if you could share some music with them… who knows they may like it.

Totally can see where the OP is coming from, I was driving home late one night a few weeks ago and to keep myself awake decided to put on the radio, the top 10 actually. I'm only 34 but I hadn't listened to secular music in about 7 years, so I was really curious as to what "these young ones" are about now, since it pretty much reflects popular culture.

Anyway, I was totally horrified, Rihanna and all the rest of them are just gone way beyond what I used to listen to only 10 years ago. No quality songs, tunes, nothing, just explicit lyrics. Satan I'm afraid has been let loose in the music industry too, and unless you search hard for a specific clean genre of music, the majority of popular songs are all giving the message that immorality is normality. I know I sound like a prude, but it's true.

Might I suggest MF Doom? He is not religious, but he makes some great underground hip-hop absent of much of the offensive aspects of Top 40 stuff. Top 40 is also just musically terrible.

I listened to Hip Hop and Rap growing up. I then stopped because my mother said it was bad and awful and she was pushing Gospel music on me. Until the day I sat back for myself and picked up a Kanye West album and I was listening to some songs and began to like some of the messages.

Music isn't from the Devil, because there are Fundamental, fundamental Christians out there that will tell you it is and its certainly not. I was one of those kind of Christians that condemned all music if it wasn't Christian. And I had to step back and find what I liked instead of what some other fundamental people thought was good or bad music.

All I can tell you to do is search for yourself what is good music or bad music, by the lyrics.

Hope this helps and God bless!

closed #20

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.