How to be a good Catholic in the midst of dissent....

I’m a cradle Catholic & love the Church. During my formative years I was raised in a preVatican II Church which seemed so simple. Since having children (all under 8 yrs) I’ve taken a bigger interest in learning about the faith so that I can properly instruct them.

There is so much to learn. Then you find out there are liturgical abuses in your church, liberal homilies being taught, priests & nuns supporting liberal causes, schismatic churches which more closely resemble the simplicity you want, etc. I know more now & feel more confused. It is all so overwhelming.

Are there some basics for being a good Catholic without getting caught up in the detail? Is it possible to be a simple Catholic again?

You’re not alone in your confusion. Many Catholics are distressed over the widespread effects of dissent in the Church today. It can be a heavy cross to bear. But take heart, there is hope! We know from history that at times in the past things have been worse within the Church than they are today, yet God guided the Church through each crisis, and he will guide us out of this one as well (1 Cor. 10:13).

Here are a few things you can do to keep from getting “caught up in the detail”:

1. Find a few minutes of quiet time each day for prayer and reflection. No matter how hectic your day, you need to carve out some time for prayer. Pray daily for priests and religious.

*By humble and faithful prayer, the soul acquires, with time and perseverance, every virtue. St. Catherine of Siena *

A good easy-to-read devotional is the *Magnificat * (they even have one for children). For a complimentary copy: magnificat.net/.

1. Keep studying the faith (with your husband, if possible). Accept the fact that it will take time to get yourself up to speed.

Here are a few suggestions for study:

Beginning Apologetics Vol. 1: shop.catholic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-B0279.html?E+scstore Beginning Apologetics Vol. 1 Study Guide: shop.catholic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-B0112.html?E+scstore

*Understanding the Sacraments: A Guide for Prayer and Study * by Peter Stravinskas (Amazon.com)

*Exploring the Catholic Church * by Marcellino D’Ambrosio: shop.catholic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-B0426.html?E+scstore.

*Courageous Virtue * by Stacy Mitch (a study for women) emmausroad.org/

Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself.
Francis de Sales

1. Introduce good Catholic books to your children. I particularly like Caryll Houselander’s books: Catholic Tales for Boys and Girls (ages 5+) and My Path to Heaven: A Young Person’s Guide to the Faith (ages 9-12): catholicmom.com/childrensbooks.htm

2. Find a good spiritual director. If you don’t have one in mind, ask the Lord for guidance.

3. Cultivate friendships with Catholic women who know and love their faith.

Keep the faith! I will be praying for you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.