How to be a happy Catholic?

Hey Guys

I started my journey back to being a Catholic in November 2009 and I would like you guys to help me be a happy Catholic after getting to a stage where I follow God’s laws - which I am very proud of :smiley:

Should I go to Christian concerts and meet ups?

What kind of thoughts should I be thinking during the day as a Catholics? haha :smiley: I think of God during the day and I know that I’m a really good person, but it can be a bit rubbish working amongst non-religious people - or people without my passion for God. I do my best at work getting lots of work done and having my normal breaks instead of like the other people. They are ‘happy’ from being in ‘their own world’ acting like gods thinking about having fun in their own little circle, but I think of others outside of our circle and God :slight_smile: It is hard having a totally giving heart :slight_smile:

God bless

Dylan :slight_smile:

Ps. If I get to Heaven I will be very happy with people all loving one another like I love everyone now :slight_smile:

I am having a bit of a hard time deciding where you are being tongue-in-cheek and where you aren't.
I like this as a guide about how to "be among everyone else", because it puts things into the prospective of the saints:

"The saints are what they are, not because their sanctity makes them admirable to others,
but because the gift of sainthood makes it possible for them to admire everybody else.
It gives them a clarity of compassion that can find good in the most terrible criminals.
It delivers them from the burden of judging others, condemning other men.
It teaches them to bring the good out of others by compassion, mercy, and pardon.

We become saints not by the conviction that we are better than sinners,
but by the realization that we are one of them,
and that all together we need the mercy of God!"

Thomas Merton, New Seeds of Contemplation

Besides that, the habit of gratitude is a great help to joy, as is the habit of thinking of the good things of the Lord.
Happiness comes and goes, which is fine, but joy endures:

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again: rejoice!
Your kindness should be known to all. The Lord is near.
Have no anxiety at all, but in everything,
by prayer and petition,
with thanksgiving,
make your requests known to God.
Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding
will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers,
whatever is true,
whatever is honorable,
whatever is just,
whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely,
whatever is gracious,
if there is any excellence and
if there is anything worthy of praise,
think about these things.

Keep on doing what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me.
Then the God of peace will be with you.
Phillipians 4:4-9

Ok, maybe it will take time :) I have just become a good Catholic man with a few flaws that I'm working on still but mostly there :) I guess that I will just keep on enjoying doing good even though I feel like I am alone :o It is just quite hard living amongst bad people, but I will keep trying to shine brightly :)

Realize that you can bring more people TO Christ by being a happy little Christian solider. Instead of hell fire and brimstone, preach to gospel of love and forgiveness. Lead by example-don't chase women, don't swear all the time. Go to a party and feel free to laugh, have fun, flirt with girls, etc. Just be a gentlemen.

Don't ever think that being Catholic makes you holier than someone else. If anything, it should humble you a bit, makes you realize that there is someone else up there.

It does sound simple, but it's also kind of easy. If your deeply depressed, don't feel embrassed to seek medical attention. Nothing wrong with that.

HOW TO BE A HAPPY CATHOLIC?

***Work and the circumstances of everyday life are occasions for growing closer to God, for serving others, and for improving society. ***

We sanctify ourselves in our work, in what we do if we give it our best and offer it to God. It doesn’t matter if you are an engineer, a doctor, a janitor, a housewife,a student…each and everyone is called to live out a role in his/her life and we should give it our best and offer it to God and also be a good example to other people.

***Sanctity is made up of heroic acts.Therefore in our work, we are asked for the heroism of finishing properly the tasks committed to us, day after day, even though they are the same tasks *** - St. Josemaria Escriva

random thoughts;

*i'm happy because i trust that God's love makes me good and worthwhile. following God's perfect laws brings a certain peace. trusting in god's astonishing love for me brings me joy.

*a few of the 'bad people' whom i've known and who have converted and are holier than i might ever hope to be. through little efforts of my own, i think...

*when i had returned to the Church, i went to confession one Saturday. my boys, while waiting for me, were wrestling about outside the confessional in the church. they were being bad and noisy. in all sincerity, i said to the priest, "father, since my conversion, i think my sins have become more invisible. they're more interior." (i actually used the word 'interior.')

"really?" he said.

"yes" i assured him.

'are those rascals out there your children?" says he.

"well, yes, father. they are." says i

says he, "so when you get them in the car, you won't pull them by the ear and cuss them out?"

says i, "probably, father."

"will you cuss?" asks he.

"probably, father." says i sheepishly.

"welcome to the human race. not all your sins are 'interior'. says he.

*someone suggested this prayer to me just this Lent. i see that when i pray this prayer regularly, it helps me to be free and happy. when i don't or when i forget the tenants, i feel burdened: ewtn.com/devotionals/prayers/humility.htm

I don’t think being a happy Catholic is much different that being a happy person, period. Let your faith shine through your actions, be kind, and show gratitude.

The wisdom of the Shawnee chief, Tecumseh:

“Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about his religion.
Respect others in their views and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
Seek to make your life long and of service to your people.
Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
Always give a word or sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend,
or even a stranger, if in a lonely place.
Show respect to all people, but grovel to none.
When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light,
for your life, for your strength.
Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living.
If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself.
Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools
and robs the spirit of its vision.
When your time comes to die,
be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death,
so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time
to live their lives over again in a different way.
Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.”

Miz

I agree with, Misery's fence. I am just getting used to being a Catholic. I have grown up realising that the world is insane and most people are selfish, so I've not felt comfortable. Now I am getting kind of sick of people, so I am standing up strongly. I am a Catholic - a hardcore person haha :) but also nice :)

I will always be open to anyone who wants to ask me about my beliefs, but I'm a Catholic that takes no s*** :) I am developing, thanks :)

I will always be open to anyone who wants to ask me about my beliefs,

ah, yes, crazy, but will we always be open to anyone who DOESN’T want to talk about our beliefs? therein is the humility of example.

St Francis urged us to, “preach the Gospel always. use words when necessary.”

when you were out there being a bad guy, crazy, remember, some good Christian was sick of you, too.

[quote="crazydyl, post:3, topic:205909"]
Ok, maybe it will take time :) I have just become a good Catholic man with a few flaws that I'm working on still but mostly there :) I guess that I will just keep on enjoying doing good even though I feel like I am alone :o It is just quite hard living amongst bad people, but I will keep trying to shine brightly :)

[/quote]

You might also want to do volunteer work through your parish or with your local Knights of Columbus. Working together with other Catholics on the work of the Church is a great way to socialize and build a support group.

My advice is to treat others the way you want to be treated. Don't judge others and don't get caught up in their drama. Don't worry about what others do or don't do, that is their business. Quietly go about your own work and do it as well as you can, be peace filled and happiness will follow. Remember that you don't have to do big showy things, but do even the smallest things with great love. Bring your mind and heart back to God often throughout the day and thank Him for his care. But most of all, smile.

God Bless.

I'm leaving this site :)

I am very happy now guys so thanks :) I have gone through struggles to get to where I am today. I now appreciate everything and need nothing. All I can say to you guys is to strive to be a perfect Catholics because you will get rewards! Give up everything that is for yourself and that you do that is selfish apart form doing enough to stay alive and be healthy and have a good career so that you can help others and make others happy with the rest of the resources that you can make or the time that you have to help others!

I'm preparing for Heaven and trying to be perfect and boyyyyyyyyy it's making me happy! I appreciate everything! Even people who punch me or call me names! :D

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.