How to be humble

Any tips? What’s happened is I’ve been reading more and more about certain government official’s and advisor’s views on euthanasia and the like, and I find it outrageous, and I also find it insane that a good portion of society is okay with that. Then the problem starts, I start thinking, “I’m glad I’m better than that”, etc. So, anyone got any good ideas?

I like the litany of humility. Goes like this:

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
Fromthe desire of being esteemed,**
Deliver me, Jesus.**
From the desire of being loved…
From the desire of being extolled …
From the desire of being honored …
From the desire of being praised …
From the desire of being preferred to others…
From the desire of being consulted …
From the desire of being approved …
From the fear of being humiliated …
Fromthe fear of being despised…
From the fear of suffering rebukes …
From the fear of being calumniated …
From the fear of being forgotten …
From the fear of being ridiculed …
From the fear of being wronged …
From the fear of being suspected …
That others may be loved more than I,**
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
**That others may be esteemed more than I …
That, in the opinion of the world,
others may increase and I may decrease …
That others may be chosen and I set aside …
That others may be praised and I unnoticed …
That others may be preferred to me in everything…
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should…

ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/humility.htm

How about changing the internal dialogue to, “Thank you, Lord, for the unmerited gift of the truth. Please give this gift to the whole world.”

I laughed really hard at myself when I first started praying the Litany of Humility. I was thinking, “Well, I’m not actually praying for that stuff to happen - only that I might be able to desire it.” And then a lot of it started to happen, and by my reaction, I can tell how far I really have to go with this! It’s gonna be a big job.

Betsy

Sigh. When you figure it out, let me know. :blush:

Everything I am came from God.

I am intelligent. I did not accomplish this, it is a gift of God.
I got a BS in computer science and graduated Magna Cum Laude. The best I can say for myself is that I used God’s gift well. Did I use it to the ultimate potential? Why did I not graduate Summa Cum Laude? Why did it take me until I was 45 years old?

I am healthy. Much of that is a gift of God.
I am not in very good shape. I smoke. I have been negligant taking care of this body that God gifted me with.

I have a wonderful wife, 2 intelligent, well behaved children, and 2 beautiful grandsons.

I have a nice house, enough to eat, a job, in the most advanced country in the world.

I have safety and security for my self and my family.

God has graced me with knowledge of Him and His Son. Still I sin. Why can I not obey a few simple rules out of love for Him who has given me so much.

Even with realization of all the above, humility is a daily struggle, but counting your blessings and looking objectively at how you use them helps. At least for me it does.

Patrick

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.