How to be patient with discernment?

I wrote a post a while ago about my vocation story (and I’m still waiting to hear others’ vocation discernment stories!) and I was wondering… Does anybody feel impatient?

I’m in 10th grade and have to wait until I’m in 12th grade before I can apply to be a seminarian in my diocese. Just about every day, it becomes more and more clear that I’m being called to seminary (I do experience doubt sometimes). Deep down I really want to be a priest.:highprayer: Waiting like two years to apply for seminary is so hard!!! :banghead:

How do you deal with impatience in your discernment? :o

I would say to keep yourself busy with other things.

Also, if you are discerning a religious vocation, it’s very important to have a spiritual director.

Have you read “To Save a Thousand Souls” By Father Brett Brannen? It would be very useful for your discernment.vianneyvocations.com/store/products/books/to-save-a-thousand-souls/

You should also try contacting your vocations director. Also, try setting up an appointment with a priest you trust to talk about your desire to become a priest.

If you can’t wait two years how ill you survive the 8+ years of training until ordination? Remember that you will still be discerning once you are in the seminary.

How will you handle “bumps in the road” – and there will be bumps in your life.

There is an old saying, “Man makes plans and God laughs.” The meaning is not that God is cruel, but that he is in control , not you. That is why we pray " thy will be done".

Life experience.
You’re a teen. Live that life first. Be good at it. Be a good person.
Experience what you can, faithfully, and in a state of grace.
Meet with the Vocations Director in your Diocese.

I’ve only ever met one a couple of priests who knew what spiritual direction was. Sometimes finding one is easier said than done.

I can’t share with you any discernment advice from a priesthood perspective, but I am discerning a call to the permanent diaconate.

I am a very impatient person at times, and it is hard for me to deal with waiting. When this process started (actually that was over 10 years ago, but more recently, I started discerning again a year ago) I just wanted to be accepted into aspirancy and get on with it. I talked with a lot of people, many who were deacons, and they all told me the same thing, but maybe with different words. They all seemed to say enjoy the experience. I will grow in my understanding of myself, I will grow in my understanding and love for Jesus, and it will be over with before I know it.

I sat down one day and asked God if He would help me to curb my patience, to not get antsy, and just enjoy the process and trust His plans.

I remember going to the information night where we received the application packet, and I recall filling it out and sending it in. Surprisingly, I didn’t find myself running to check the mail everyday to see if I received a letter back from the diocese. In fact, one night, my wife and I had gone to see a movie, and we came back home, and while she was getting ready for bed, I was letting the dogs out and saw that someone brought the mail in. I almost didn’t check the stack, but I saw a large envelope and noticed it was from the diocese. I remember thinking to myself, “wow, that was quick” (this was about 2 - 3 weeks after I sent it in). It was a packet of all the things they wanted from me to continue the inquiry process.

I filled all that documentation out, sent it in by the due date, and again asked God to grant me patience. A few weeks go by, and I am surprised again by a letter stating that I will now be moving on into the interview phase. Again, it just snuck up on me. I know who I am, and I know that God is granting me patience in this experience. Maybe He isn’t calling me to the diaconate, or maybe He is, but I am okay either way, because as the people who I spoke with early on told me, it is His will, not mine that will decide if I am called.

Anyhow, bottom line is this, have patience. If you find that you don’t pray for it. God will help you.

God bless you in discerning your call,

John

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.