How to become the child of God?

I am Christian and not Catholic. I wonder how a Catholic believer will reply to my question.

How could a man become God’s child?

[quote=pendoko]I am Christian and not Catholic. I wonder how a Catholic believer will reply to my question.

How could a man become God’s child?
[/quote]

We all become God’s children at baptism, but we become obedient and loving children by sacrifice of our selves. We learn how to love God by sacrificing ourselves for him. I am not saying that Christs sacrifice was not complete. I am saying that sacrifice teaches us obedience and strength and perseverence, and when we are tested we will be able to stand.

I am a Catholic Christian. How can a man become a child of God?Short answer?

Believe on the Lord and thou shalt be saved.

Your Catholic sister in Christ,
Maria

baptism with water and the Holy Spirit–our conjoined sacraments of baptism and confirmation

Every member of the human family is a child of God by virtue of the fact that God is our Creator. We become Catholic Christians through baptism.

JMJ Jay

[quote=jimmy]We all become God’s children at baptism, but we become obedient and loving children by sacrifice of our selves. We learn how to love God by sacrificing ourselves for him. I am not saying that Christs sacrifice was not complete. I am saying that sacrifice teaches us obedience and strength and perseverence, and when we are tested we will be able to stand.
[/quote]

I think this answer is logically incorrect. Whether you use the Bible or not, it would be impossible for “man” to be God’s child by simply using baptism.

There must be something better than that.

[quote=MariaG]I am a Catholic Christian. How can a man become a child of God?Short answer?

Believe on the Lord and thou shalt be saved.

Your Catholic sister in Christ,
Maria
[/quote]

This answer is logically correct. If God really wanted “man” to be His child without seeing Him face to face, this “belief” is the only necessary approach and requirement to be His child, adopted child.

[quote=puzzleannie]baptism with water and the Holy Spirit–our conjoined sacraments of baptism and confirmation
[/quote]

I think that this is also a severe burden to the “lost soul” to God. There must be better than that, a simpler but finer way to be His child.

[quote=pendoko]I think this answer is logically incorrect. Whether you use the Bible or not, it would be impossible for “man” to be God’s child by simply using baptism.

[/quote]

Nope, it is true. We are brought into Christs church through baptism and we are made children of God.

[quote=pendoko]I think this answer is logically incorrect. Whether you use the Bible or not, it would be impossible for “man” to be God’s child by simply using baptism.

[/quote]

My question for you is. Is a baptized 1 month old child a child of God? By your logic, he would not be because he can not have faith in God.

You are talking at cross purposes here. I can tell you from his original post, the OP does not believe in infant baptism, (which is why I emphasized man in my post) In his thinking, baptism is just a public declaration of a inward decision. (If this is not the case, I think you need to be more specific.)

Regenerative nature of Baptism should be the first starting point.

posted by Pendoko

This answer is logically correct. If God really wanted “man” to be His child without seeing Him face to face, this “belief” is the only necessary approach and requirement to be His child, adopted child.

A child obey’s their parent.
:bible1: Acts 2:37-38 Now when they hear this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles. “Men and Brethren, what shall we do?” 38Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins: and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

In this Scripture as well as others, (I prefer to talk about one Scripture at a time), belief is only the first step. In verse 37, the men believed. But clearly that is only the first step for *men. Next *they needed to repent and be baptized. Why? For the remission of sins. Now this verse could go either way, but it places baptism in the postition to understand the remission of sins. I can understand where you might think no, it is the repenting that gets rid of sin, but if you will honestly look at this verse, you can see that both are being refered to as the remission of sins.

Personal repentance gets rid of personal sin. Baptism is a miracle from God that removes original sin as well as any personal sin. I or others can show you more verses to discuss the regenerative nature of Baptism. Personally, I think this is where the focus should be. However, whether or not you and I can agree on what exactly Baptism is, I think you can understand why we baptize our infants and children. IF baptism is more than a public declaration, then “keep not the little children from me” becomes a little more real. Catholic Christians, (as well as some Protestants) believe Baptism is a miracle from God removing the stain of original sin from our soul. Believing is only the first step for man.

Hopefully I will be able to get back to this again, but if not, walk in love.

Your sister in Christ,
Maria

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.