How to behave in an Orthodox church?

Hello!

I would like to ask a question. I’m going to a largely Orthodox country in a couple of days and I will very likely visit some Orthodox churches. Orthodox have the Eucharist and I also believe that in the East they keep Jesus under the appearance of bread in the tabernacles like our Latin rite. How should we react when we enter the their church, pass by the tabernacle etc.? On one had I should pay honor to Jesus and the place where he is kept but on the other hand I don’t want to give a scandal because however close to the Truth Orthodoxy is, on the end of the day they are in schism.

So, should I make a sign of the cross (or any other sign of reverence) when I enter their church and should I genuflect when passing by the tabernacle (or do some other sign)?

Thank you and sorry for bothering you!

In Christ,
~Gandalf

GandalfTheWhite,

While this link does not answer the specific questions concerning the traditions and customs of the Orthodox Churches, it does answer the most important questions concerning your attendance. I encourage you to visit our Eastern Christianity forum in the second link to seek specific guidance for the customs and practices of the Church and country you will be visiting. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Sunday Obligation
Catholic Answers’ Eastern Christianity Forum

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.