How to Believe

This may need to go in the scripture forum please move it if so…

I am reading/listening to the New Testament for the first time in my many years of lapsed and unlapsed (younger years) Catholicism.

Anyway-this may sound trite but Jesus was easy to believe back then-he performed miracles and cast out demons and fulfilled prophecies from the OT.

What about now?-iAD vs BC-? there have been no miracles even close to the ones he performed when he walked the earth…i suppose the answer is because he is not here and will be coming back to see if we listened to him ?

i guess this may fall under ‘oh ye of little faith’?

thanks if anyone wants to answer

just thinking and typing out loud

sp

Christ was certainly thinking of us and says it best in the gospel of St. John:
Jesus saith to him: Because thou hast seen me, Thomas, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and have believed.*

Many thousands of miracles have been performed through the intercession of His Blessed Mother and the saints in His name right up into modern times. So, for one who needs that physical proof, it is still manifest here on earth.

The greatest miracle, of course, happens at the Consecration of every Catholic Mass and the worthy reception of that food nourishes the soul and fills it with the grace needed to have an intimate relationship with Our Lord and Savior.

My favorite prayer for this one comes from scripture…" Lord, I believe, please heal my unbelief." I have prayed this numerous times and it has always been answered with strengthened Faith for me.

I’ve heard it said that the early miracles by the Apostles were performed by the Holy Spirit so as to help fortify and build up the early Church.

thank you all

Ah, but there have been :slight_smile: An example :

youtube.com/watch?v=hyIpE1_qIFM&feature=fvw

True story

I am not so sure it was easier to believe when Jesus walked the Earth. After all they witnessed, they STILL had hardened hearts and put Him to death in their unbelief.

There are still miracles on occasion, and thankfully because of the internet we can read about all the big ones throughout the whole history of the Church. I’m thinking Eucharistic miracles, incorruptibles, different healings and such (each saint must be responsible for a few to be canonized!) and not to mention apparitions (which we need to be very discerning about and we’ve got to follow the Church in these things.)

true very good point

i will also look around the web etc for other miracles-i guess i am unschooled in alot of this.

thanks everyone

In fact there are greater miracles now then when Jesus walked - John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. There are many wonders of our age that may not be recognized as miracles for it is we that do not have eyes to see and ears to hear.

thank you :slight_smile:

Oh no you misunderstand, my brother. Check these out:
Eucharistic miracle of Lanciano
Our Lady of Guadalupe
The Incorrputables
Our Lady of Fatima

There are miracles in many places if you know where to look.

And sometimes, just sometimes, you get to witness them.

Actually , IMO greater miracles are performed here today then back then. Think about it this way. Each of us has a body that dies. You are born you grow up you grow old you die. When JESUS performed Miracles - they still put him to death on a Cross. So it was no easier then than it is now. Judas Iscariot witnessed most of them and yet betrayed Christ nonetheless. St Peter himself offered to die in place of Christ several times and yet when the time came he denied him three times.

Jesus healed the sick and cured diseases and raised people from the dead in public. Many people witnessed these things. So where are the miracles today? The people these things happened to are long since dead and can give no witness of these things.

But every time we go to Confession and in many cases some who go are Dead Spiritually or Sick Spiritually through Sin both Venial and Mortal Sin. Some have been Sinful for many years. Yet by entering that confessional - the Priest by administering the Sacrament and giving Absolution - the Immortal Soul is Healed , in some cases raised from the dead. And which is more important? The Body or the Soul. Your body will one day die. Your soul is eternal.

So in my opinion - greater miracles are occuring all over this world now today than in the time of Jesus. You just need to put it in Spiritual perspective.

pax

actually, there have been thousands of miracles since He walked the earth. Fatima, Lourdes, and so forth. Just because He is not walking the earth right now does not mean He does not allow miracles to occur because He has :slight_smile:

When JESUS performed Miracles - they still put him to death on a Cross. So it was no easier then than it is now. J

thank you excellent point

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.