How to confess sins you are ashamed of?

Does anyone know how to confess sins that you are so embarrassed/ashamed of?

I gotta go to confession but i’m too scared and ashamed of my sins

Thanks! God bless! :slight_smile:

Go Behind the screen and just do it. It's the only way for me. Saying a prayer for you.

Remember that the evil one does NOT want you to go to confession because he knows the power in it. Knowing the result of God’s wonderful forgiveness and sanctifying grace should help you approach confession without fear. Priests have heard it all, it isn’t as scary as you think, but a curtain in an unfamiliar parish might be a choice for you.

My prayers that you go soon,
mlz

[quote="polishprincess, post:1, topic:341305"]

I gotta go to confession but i'm too scared and ashamed of my sins

Thanks! God bless! :)

[/quote]

Many people are ashamed and embarrassed of their sins.

Sometimes going to a priest you don't know is helpful. Going behind the screen is also helpful.

You don't have to give details during Confession, just ask God to forgive you for the sin of "x", "y", "z" and for all of my sins.....

Be at Peace knowing that the priest has heard what ever your sin is from others. The priest is not judging you. He wants to offer you God's forgiveness through absolution in the Sacrament of Confession.

None of us are perfect. So you are not alone.

The sins we are most ashamed of should be the ones at the top of the list in confession.

We cannot hide our actions from God. He knows what we do, and He wants us to come to Him in confession and reconciliation. This rite is a great, good, wonderful gift from God.

Be not afraid. The priest has heard whatever you fear to speak of, and no doubt worse, and has offered absolution just the same.

Be freed of your terrible burden and don't hang onto it a moment longer. And give thanks to our Lord for it. :)

God bless you!

And praying for you in this matter. :)

We should be ashamed of our sins and want to get to Confession. God already knows our sins. Don’t imagine that you can shock a priest. Most priests have heard confessions from murderers and all sorts of criminals whose sins are likely far worse than yours.

We should be ashamed of ALL of our sins and therefore confess them all in the same manner; contrite, humble, and grateful for God's mercy and grace. We all have certain sins that we struggle with, and these are often the hardest to confess. But what a great God we serve, who, as our Lord says, desires mercy and not sacrifice!

[/quote]

Consider this....If one is not ashamed and embarrassed about a sin - perhaps one is not quite as contrite as one ought to be...
So - being embarrassed and ashamed is actually a very good thing.

My experience is that the best approach is to simply go in, sit down and start talking.

Use a calm even voice, concentrate on just saying it and moving on to the next thing.

It feels so much better once it's done.

Good luck.

Peace
James

I try to picture Jesus sitting all alone behind the screen. He already knows what I’ve done, I just have to say it out loud to Him. Going to a priest I don’t know helps me, too. Writing a list of my sins helps me, then I don’t worry about my mind going blank. It helps me to get through it more smoothly and easily if I’m reading my sins instead of remembering them on the spot. Pray before your confession that the Holy Spirit gives you courage and ask Guardian Angel to hold your hand and comfort you. What you’re doing is a good thing!

If you are especially ashamed of a sin, imagine how much better you will feel when you have absolution!

[/quote]

Well, use the screen if your confessional has one. Just know the priest isn't going to judge you, he's probably heard everything! I went Saturday and I was nervous but I confessed and everything was fine. Trust God He loves you!:thumbsup:

[quote="105lynne, post:9, topic:341305"]
I try to picture Jesus sitting all alone behind the screen. He already knows what I've done, I just have to say it out loud to Him. Going to a priest I don't know helps me, too. Writing a list of my sins helps me, then I don't worry about my mind going blank. It helps me to get through it more smoothly and easily if I'm reading my sins instead of remembering them on the spot. Pray before your confession that the Holy Spirit gives you courage and ask Guardian Angel to hold your hand and comfort you. What you're doing is a good thing!

[/quote]

This:thumbsup:

I agree with all of the above answers. However, I do note that some times it works out better if one goes to Confession with a Priest who knows you. For instance, when I was taking care every day of a family member who was very ill, I could not go to Mass for four months! I went to a Priest who had known me since I was 18 and, when I told him that, he almost fell off his chair! It still brings a smile to my face! His question was “What have you been doing?!” If he had not known me, he could have told me to pray 15 Rosaries! However, he asked and then, full of compassion; he told me I was taking care of Jesus who was bedridden. :doh2: I should have known!

Since my goal is to be closer and closer to Our Lord, I have a Confessor. This Confessor has come to know my “weak” points and can guide me better. It is not spiritual direction. It is Confession. It is a Sacrament through which not only sins are forgiven, but also strength is given to the penitent. The more often one goes to Confession, the closer one is to Jesus and the stronger one gets with the Sacramental Grace.

Hope this helps. I’ll be praying for you. :gopray2:

I write them down in case I get nervous

Don't worry about it. Most Priest have heard much worse sins than yours. And going to Confession is really awesome! Priest's are extremely understanding and are a gigantic help when one's in need! God Bles you!

write it out and ask the priest to read it if he asks you to read it to him, then read straight from it Also ask the priest to destroy the paper for you so you are not embarrased about it after…:slight_smile:
I ask my priest to destroy it if am not going straight home after, be been quite willing. I have also given my paper to the priest to read when I felt i would it wouldn’t make much sense reading it thru to him. I always write it out and read straight from it which means I don’t get lost in what I am trying to say or deal with emotion when trying to say it.:thumbsup: Okay, I am anglican but on that side of things it may help you

Just say your sins. This week I had to also confess a sin that I was especially ashamed of. So I went to confession and confessed that one first then what happened next was that the rest of my sins started to spew out of me like vomit. Then I said the act of contrition, received absolution...and to my surprise because in the beginning I had been so scared of this confession, As I was leaving The priest gave me a big smile, and said "How is your son doing? How old is he now?"

Anyways, I think that you need to remember that our priests want us to confess our sins. I've heard it said that our priests love it when we confess all of our hideous ugly sins and not hide them. It is better to have your sins out of you instead of within you (kind of like vomiting when you're sick, it will feel so much better once you purge your sins). Attend confession with confidence that our priests want you to make a good full confession, he is not there to judge you.

Remember that most Catholics have committed shameful sins. Also, many struggle and commit shameful sins often. Priests know that many Catholics live in mortal sin and they are to ashamed to confess it or don't caring about confession. The priest would see that you are being an honest Catholic who desires to fight against sin when you confess it to him. :thumbsup:

We all have committed shameful sins. You are not alone. :)

Thanks, Nick! :smiley: im kicking myself for not going to confession tonight.

God bless you!

I try to go to confession every couple weeks, and last weekend I went and confessed a sin that I struggle with a lot… Well, I ended up having a priest that cared A lot about my soul, that he started asking questions about why I do that sin, what is it that leads up to that sin, am I married, do I have kids etc… so, yea, I was embarrassed to even tell my sin, and then to have to talk about it in greater detail. I was really ashamed of my sin. I think I was more ashamed of doing that sin than ever before because I had to go into much detail. But as uncomfortable as it was to talk about it, Im glad, SO glad I had a priest that cared that much about my soul, to take the time and dig deeper into the problem and what causes the sin and how to help me Avoid the sin. I walked to the pew to say my prayers and I was just So grateful for God providing me with that Priest! Yes, I was totally uncomfortable the entire time, but wouldn’t want it any other way! I don’t know If what I said makes sense, but I hope its of help! I don’t like going to confession, But… I like to have gone to confession! Please don’t put it off, for your soul is in danger if you don’t go… praying for you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.