How to counter the LGBT/leftist onslaught?

Hello, all. I don’t know about you, but I’m outraged/terrified at the incredible aggression that we’ve been seeing from the anti-christian left over the past few years.

Here’s a quick summary of the overall trends I notice:

• The LGBT crowd is convincing the world that Christians and specifically Catholics are the villains of this story, simply because we hold to the revealed truth about sodomy and similar forms of sexual dysfunction.

• Meanwhile, the pro-abortion crowd has been quite successful promoting the claim that the Catholic Church is against women’s freedom.

• Catholics and Christians in general are being fired from their jobs, harrassed, fined, jailed, and even physically assaulted for proclaiming the truth about these issues. (See what liberals are doing to the Freedom Bus if you want a recent reminder.)

• Massive social media companies such as Google, DeviantArt, Facebook, and Twitter are deploying attrition tactics to gain more converts for these twisted ideologies on a daily basis.

• All over the world, activist pro-LGBT legislation is having our children indoctrinated into the SOGI ideology, and passing “gag laws” that impose criminal penalties on anybody who dares contradict the Rainbow Fuhrer.

• Catholic voices are being systematically ridiculed, marginalized and criminalized worldwide.

So the question is… what are we to do? How can we, as lay Catholics, come up with effective strategies or tactics to do our part in the culture wars, and fight for the Kingdom of God in the midst of this grim ideological battle?

One thing I do is to sign some petitions against it, and hopefully with enough signatures, someone might listen.

I think an issue you’ve not addressed above is that a significant slice of Christians have rejected Christian beliefs in these areas. I suspect emotive “arguments” and euphemisms have trumped both rationality and faith. I find it astounding.

No amount of political activity will succeed without a whole lot of penance.

ICXC NIKA

1. Pray
  2. Speak up and refute wherever possible
  3. Vote

I hope this has helped

God Bless You

Thank you for reading
Josh

I’ve never found petitions to be effective. They are easily ignored and if a pro-abortion and pro-LGBT agenda candidate wins an election, no amount of petitioning will do anything, and it makes sense since the real petition was the election results.

If you won an election on being pro-life, and a petition arose on your desk trying to advance abortion, how much attention would you give it? Would you do anything to advance the pro-abortion cause because of it? Thus these pro-abortion and LGBT activist candidates need to be voted out.

I hope this has helped

God Bless You

Thank you for reading
Josh

I agree and voting is so important these days.

Apparently not important enough that it ought be mandatory (in many jurisdictions).

Yes! And I very much like that prayer is number one!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wow, these are such diverse and interesting perspectives.

I actually am in favor of signing petitions. I think it’s increasingly making more of an impact. Politicians and decision-makers rarely have such firm convictions that they’re willing to anger the public if a sizable portion of the population militantly advocates for a certain cause, so they’ll often end up giving into the demands of citizens to some degree.

That said, I agree that whatever political force is in control can definitely frame or limit the effectiveness of petitions.

You’re absolutely right, I did fail to mention that. And it’s true. I think the liberal establishment (via the media, liberal academics in universities…) AND the lukewarmness of Catholics in communicating/living the faith are to blame for that particular problem. Indeed, they might be the real cause of ALL our problems.

Sure, but to accomplish stuff on the political realm SOMEBODY needs to roll up their sleeves and actually do their prophetic duty! It’s been that way since the days of Moses. God won’t supernaturally step in and solve all our social crises; he gave us Christians the capacity to participate in the social arena, and he expects us to use it.

Voting is a huge part of it, I gree. It also seems to be a recurring theme in people’s comments.

However, I’m actually concerned about something way deeper. We as adults have our own convictions, but the left is militantly seeking to convert our young to their ideology. Precisely because if you win the person’s heart and mind while they are malleable, you win tomorrow’s vote. So again, what are we going to do about this?

Hi!

It is not surprising that these things are happening. Christ foretold of the time when man would turn against man… when love would grow cold… when Truth would be supplanted with lie… His main concern:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”

(St. Luke 18:8b)
Jesus warns that these persecutions will happen; our response to Him is that we Stand for Him; that is the same response for society!

…as for civil liberty assaults, I understand that there are various Christian Defense groups that can assist on these issues.

Catholics alone are over a billion world-wide… but unless Christians unite evil will triumph every time:

8 And the lord commended the unjust steward, forasmuch as he had done wisely: for the children of this world are wiser in their generation than the children of light.

(St. Luke 16:8)
…the problem with Christendom is that while evil forms a united front and actively seeks to raze Christianity out of existence… Christians are engrossed in their personal/affiliation causes: be a friend to the world, relax Christian demands on self-control and Fellowship, adapt the Word of God to society’s norms and practices, embrace a “feel good” Spirituality…

Interpreting Scriptures to facilitate the whims of society has led us to where we are.

Yet, note what Christ did when He was left by most of His Followers (St. John 6), He did not compromise His Teachings; rather, He further challenged those who remained:

68 Then Jesus said to the twelve: Will you also go away?

(Romans 6:68)
The Battle Plan:

• ¡Viva Cristo Rey!
  • Organize a Blessed Sacrament Vigil in every parish
  • Learn/Teach the Faith
  • Organize Community Outreach Programs to Assist those who have lost their jobs or are being sued because of their Christian Faith
  • Work with the Church to make Catholic School Education accessible to Catholics
  • Promote Vocations to the Priesthood and Releigious
  • Promote the Sacramental Life (Observe the Sacraments–not just know about them and think of them as electives)
  • Promote Unity of the Body (agreeing to disagree is gibberish); Scriptures Command: One Faith, One Baptism, One Body!
  • Commit to your local parish in a Sacramental Life (Vocations are not simply to the Priesthood and Religious–we are all Called to Serve God through these and through Marriage, Single Life, and through our Talents and Skills.
  • Catechize–too many times Catholics, and other Christians, join the world out of a sense of “justice” or out of wanton disregard for Obedience to God
  • Catechize with our Sacramental Life–it’s easy to point out Scriptures; it is not so easy to Obey Scriptures

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

Hi!

…this is why Christina Unity is so important.

…several years ago there was a campaign by a company (can’t recall the name–I think that it was an air freshener) that used cartoon characters of mixed species marriages/couplings… we know that the commercials were geared towards children because the characters were in soft-fluffy-lively colors… how many adults watch commercials (other than that puppy-monkey-baby, thing)? ever noticed how quiet children get when the commercials are on? That’s the sell!

Corrupt the mind of the child and you have won the battle.

This is why it is important for Catholics, and other Christians, to stop sending their kids to school and believe that they are getting the education they need.

This is why it is important for Catholics, and other Christians, to directly involved themselves with their kids education–specially their religious training.

Children are being bombarded everyday with the gender/sex fluid agenda, saying: 'cause I say so" or ‘cause that’s what God wants’ is no longer effective.

…the government (US) has become the major champion of the death culture because of the massive money involved with it… Christians are forced to accept unjust laws and treatment because we continue to stand divided… Jesus warned about a divided Kingdom: “it will fall!”

Maran atha!

Angel

I have seen instances where petitions have works, especially when a Catholic institution has some pro-LGBT event scheduled.

Yes, of course voting works, if there are enough people.

Prayer also helps.

Grim ideological battle?!? Hmmmm. I suppose if you see it that way then you may have perhaps fallen into the trap that was intended.The trap I refer to is picking an ideological battle. As soon as you admit that we are arguing over ideology then you have already lost.

The Catholic faith is NOT an ideology. It is instead a universal truth that is available for all who seek it. Sort of like the study of physics. The natural laws are there for you to understand if you so choose.The truths of Christ are there and speak for themselves through our church.

People naturally crave truth and we must be there for them when they come to need that truth. In the mean time pray for your own strength to simply be a light to the world that displays the truth of Christ in a world that so badly needs it.

Jesus told us that people would reject us like they rejected him. But not everyone rejected Jesus. Focus on the few. Teach to the top. Don’t let the turkeys get you down.

Stand up for religious freedom. But realize that not everyone shares your Catholic beliefs. Jesus respected that choosing him was an act of free will. We must respect that God made the world that way. Jesus never coerced. He offered and accepted love.

I promise you that all people respond to love and respect. So we start with that. Then they find out we are Catholic. Then some of the social teachings can make sense to people. But when they see the social teachings without first seeing the love, the message is lost.

Driving around a bus with social teachings on it is a form of PR and people have a right to reject it. We are so inundated with people wanting to press their PR on us that it gets tiring to everyone. Let’s not fight that way.

Hi!

I agree with much of what you say… but the heart of the matter is that no amount of “love” and “reconciliation” will convict those whose lifestyle are immersed in wickedness… tell a person to stop robbing banks and to get a job and he/she will shoot you, even if you don’t carry any money…

…what I see is that immoral activists want to put Christianity in a closet; they use all the means at their disposal, including the government agencies, social media, and the private sector–inculcation of the mind of children through education and subliminal control. Yet, they do not stop there. They take it to the violent end–and because of our vulnerability to sin, even “Christians” turn from Christ in defense of the unrighteous–“social justice” guise.

That is why Jesus stated that the children of the world are wiser than the children of God/Heaven–they, as their father, are kin at lies, manipulation, and murder.

Jesus also said that “the Truth will set you free.”

This is the part that Christian must adhere to: Christ is the Truth!

Maran atha!

Angel

Well – of course! That’s absolutely right; the faith is not an ideology – the faith is the truth.

I made use of the terms “ideological battle” as a shorthand for the battle between Truth and error that is being carried out in society. As you point out, though, it was a bit of a misnomer, for the reasons you’ve just cited.

I agree with much of what you’ve said. Especially, I believe that people crave truth and that most people respond to love and respect. Making use of charity when we evangelize is indeed a crucial thing to keep in mind.

However, I also do believe that we need to be militant about the faith. About the social teachings. As you point out above, they are the truth, so we need to stand for them and defend them like our eternal lives depend on it. Driving around a bus with social teachings is indeed a form of PR – but then, the left uses PR so aggressively precisely because they know that it works. If the Lord and the Apostles had not done PR for God’s kingdom, so to speak, a third of the world’s population wouldn’t be Catholic today.

So if you ask me, I believe that prayer, witness and charity are vitally important. However, I’m also quite convinced that we need more activism in the Church, and especially among the laity. If we are the Church Militant, then we need to militate against the evil that’s taking over our society.

We should respond with well thought-out and intelligent truth. Rage just clouds the issues and shuts down the mind. Let the LGBT engage in angry rhetoric. Truth does not require rage. It requires level headed common sense and perseverance .

I will admit however, it is irritating.

[quote=jcrichton]Corrupt the mind of the child and you have won the battle. … Children are being bombarded everyday with the gender/sex fluid agenda…

The government (US) has become the major champion of the death culture because of the massive money involved with it…

What I see is that immoral activists want to put Christianity in a closet; they use all the means at their disposal, including the government agencies, social media, and the private sector–inculcation of the mind of children through education and subliminal control. Yet, they do not stop there. They take it to the violent end–and because of our vulnerability to sin, even “Christians” turn from Christ in defense of the unrighteous–“social justice” guise.
[/quote]

I think that analysis is 100% correct. That is exactly what is going on.

[quote=jcrichton]The problem with Christendom is that while evil forms a united front and actively seeks to raze Christianity out of existence… Christians are engrossed in their personal/affiliation causes: be a friend to the world, relax Christian demands on self-control and Fellowship, adapt the Word of God to society’s norms and practices, embrace a “feel good” Spirituality…

Interpreting Scriptures to facilitate the whims of society has led us to where we are.
[/quote]

I think this other analysis is, also, very accurate.

These are the things that have brought us here, the two major causes of our current crisis. First, the immoral governments and activists that keep pushing these unjust, perverse agendas and seeking to destroy the faith insofar as the faith opposes their ends. And second, there’s the laxitude of Christians in knowing, embracing, proclaiming and defending the truth. These are the problems that have gotten us in this mess.

I love the battle plan and the guidelines for action that you propose. Really great stuff.

Now I wonder how we can come together and actually apply these necessary corrective measures in a spirit of unity.

[quote=HelenRose]We should respond with well thought-out and intelligent truth. Rage just clouds the issues and shuts down the mind. Let the LGBT engage in angry rhetoric. Truth does not require rage. It requires level headed common sense and perseverance.
[/quote]

That’s a great point!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.