How to discern marriage?

Hello, I am wondering what your thoughts are regarding the discernment of marriage. My boyfriend and I are both faithful Catholics in our early 20's. We have been dating for about 6 months, and if God did call us to marriage, it probably wouldn't be for another two years (what with school and what not).

Does anyone have any book/website recommendations on discernment? Personal experience/advice?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

My personal guide is easily two years, perhaps more until I would even think of marriage. Six months is very soon to be talking about it!

Slow down. Iโ€™m 30 and Iโ€™m not in a hurry, so donโ€™t worry about being in your early 20โ€™s and getting hitched.

[quote="jlr247, post:1, topic:203842"]
Hello, I am wondering what your thoughts are regarding the discernment of marriage. My boyfriend and I are both faithful Catholics in our early 20's. We have been dating for about 6 months, and if God did call us to marriage, it probably wouldn't be for another two years (what with school and what not).

Does anyone have any book/website recommendations on discernment? Personal experience/advice?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

There is a book by Bishop Fulton Sheen called 3 to get Married. As for as discernment, it varies. In my case, my husband and I courted for a couple of months. We discerned first by praying together. Offer up your relationship to Our Lady and pray the rosary together. Make sure you want to get married for the right reasons and don't allow the fuzzy feelings of passion to overshadow those reasons. It is very easy to do :(. Since you are still in school, I wouldn't be in such a hurry and I'm sure that you are not. Read some good books on marriage together and talk to one another about your ideas for family and marriage. That will also help you to discern.

I remember reading Fit to be Tied with my then-fiance. I only remember because we recommended it to one of my friends who recently told me he finally picked it up and is finding it helpful.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.