How to dress for Mass

Seeing how these people in a poor country dress for Mass should put some of us to shame.

[quote="zab, post:1, topic:264495"]
Seeing how these people in a poor country dress for Mass should put some of us to shame.

[/quote]

Their reverence seems evident as well by their attentive postures.:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing the photo.

[/quote]

I agree, God bless them.

beautiful! what respect their appearance shows for the lord.

Americans aren't as big at dressing up for anything nowadays.

80 years ago people used to dress better for a baseball game than they do for mass today.

http://luirig.altervista.org/cpm/albums/bain-05/normal_02360--Baseball-fans---crowds-at-Ebbets-Field-for-World-Series-game-.jpg

Another thread on dressing for Mass:popcorn:

It's interesting to have this on the same time that they are releasing the new translation....a translation that is suppose to bring us all in more unity.

[quote="Annabelle_Marie, post:6, topic:264495"]
Another thread on dressing for Mass:popcorn:

It's interesting to have this on the same time that they are releasing the new translation....a translation that is suppose to bring us all in more unity.

[/quote]

And remember, no popcorn one hour before Mass

[quote="zab, post:7, topic:264495"]
And remember, no popcorn one hour before Mass

[/quote]

I guess you mean one hour before Communion!:)

Thank you for the picture.

Some days I wish we would dress up more but it seems like we are a casual culture, and no going back. At least I know I have dress decently, modestly, and appropriately for Mass, special occasions, and the office.

They all seem to be very modestly dressed despite what is likely a very warm climate.

Their focus on the altar catches my eye as well. Bravo!

How we dress is a cultural matter. How people dress for Mass seems to be more to do with age rather than social background. Being old, I tend to arrive at church wearing a suit and tie. Some people find this intimidating - presumably it puts them in mind of the boss or headmaster.

That's a great photo, thank you for sharing. Everyone should dress to impress for Mass.

[quote="pioneer1572, post:12, topic:264495"]
That's a great photo, thank you for sharing. Everyone should dress to impress for Mass.

[/quote]

Impress whom, exactly? :cool:

[/quote]

Logical note: with no context, none of us can say what the normal dress for standard masses in this country are. I reject the assertion that a picture with no background information whatsoever is proof of anything. For all we know, this was a shot that was posed for an evangelizing brochure and in no way reflects reality.

[quote="promethius, post:14, topic:264495"]
Logical note: with no context, none of us can say what the normal dress for standard masses in this country are. I reject the assertion that a picture with no background information whatsoever is proof of anything. For all we know, this was a shot that was posed for an evangelizing brochure and in no way reflects reality.

[/quote]

Thank you. A link to the photo and the site would have helped.

Every Sunday is a feast. We should be dressed up with our best clothes to attend the mass.

[quote="Barbra67, post:16, topic:264495"]
Every Sunday is a feast. We should be dressed up with our best clothes to attend the mass.

[/quote]

Yes, we should dress both decently and modestly for Mass. It would be nice to return to the days of Sunday Best Clothes, but they are far gone unfortunately.

I agree that we should dress modestly and decently for Mass. But "best clothes"? That leaves too much for interpretation. To some, their "best clothes" might be an evening gown or a tux! Or some other fancy/ostentatious/ overly expensive attire. That too would be inappropriate.

[quote="Barbra67, post:16, topic:264495"]

[/quote]

Our best clothes? My "best clothes" are a military tuxedo with medals. My most expensive clothes are certainly not my most mass appropriate either (after all, an expensive shirt and pants may be designer items which have holes or are otherwise inappropriate for mass).

There is no "wear your best" for mass, and the term "Sunday Best" is an outdated term for a fashion sense that no longer dominates. Parishoners should endeavor to dress modestly and respectably, with appropriate (or best possible) attention to the formality of the occasion. Beyond that, we can't really establish a standard...

[quote="promethius, post:19, topic:264495"]
Our best clothes? My "best clothes" are a military tuxedo with medals. My most expensive clothes are certainly not my most mass appropriate either (after all, an expensive shirt and pants may be designer items which have holes or are otherwise inappropriate for mass).

There is no "wear your best" for mass, and the term "Sunday Best" is an outdated term for a fashion sense that no longer dominates. Parishoners should endeavor to dress modestly and respectably, with appropriate (or best possible) attention to the formality of the occasion. Beyond that, we can't really establish a standard...

[/quote]

In other words, you wouldn't show up for a military inspection wearing shorts and a T-shirt, nor a shirt and tie for that matter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.