How to explain Acts 17:24 to 8yo son

:confused:
Hello! Our son’s Upwards basketball team has Acts 17:24 as the first Bible verse they memorize. How do I explain this verse from a catholic perspective. (Why did they choose this verse?)
Thanks

Hello! Our son’s Upwards basketball team has Acts 17:24 as the first Bible verse they memorize. How do I explain this verse from a catholic perspective. (Why did they choose this verse?)
Thanks
[/quote]

I don’t know why they chose it but that verse to me means that Paul was saying that unlike the lifeless idols of Greece, God is living creator of of all things and does not inhabit man-made shrines or statues.

Alright, Hear are my thoughts and if they are wrong I am sure that someone will come in hear and castrate me.
Here is how I see the passage. God dwells not in lifeless things but, if this is an attempt to bash the Catholic Church which is why I guess that you are concerned, look at it this way. The Catholic Church is not a Church in the scince of buildings church. It would still be the Catholic Church if there were no buildings in which to hold services (what we would call a church). The RCC and its members are the mystical/visable body of christ not, just brick and stone.
I hope this thought helps. Good luck and God be with you. I will send up a prayer for ya’ll.

“God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands”

They probably have your kid memorize it because above all things, above basketball, above friendship, above everything we are supposed to love the Lord our God (Mark 12:30-31). And although it may be a strange choice to choose the one on temples, consider this:

The context of the verse is speaking about the shrine to the unknown God (see Acts 17:23). The Romans actually believed that the god inhabited those temples. And thus, one went there to worship that God. So it is a good thing to recall, especially as a child, that in every aspect of life, not just Sunday church time, we are to know God is present. Thus, the entire world is filled with His Spirit, because He made His temple in the Spirit of the Church, not a specific building.

The verse is a very Catholic verse, as the previous post said, because it recalls that by the power of God’s Holy Spirit the church will be maintained. But also, it is saying that God is not in the temple itself, that is, is not in the wood nor the beams, and not even in the Crucifix.

Actually, do not be nervous of explaining things from a Catholic perspective, for Catholicism is consistent throughout the entire Bible (hehe). The theology and dogma, and the philosophy and mysticism of the Church has been flushed out, checked, and rendered true to tradition for 2000 years, so it’s not really too much to worry about: there is a Catholic explanation or two for everything biblical.

I hope that all makes sense! God bless!

Aaron Magnan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.