How to explain and object Eccesiastes 5:9?

How to explain and object Eccesiastes 5:9?

I’m not sure what there is to explain. Those who have money and power want more-and generally take it.

Are you sure you don't mean Ecclesiastes 9:5 which is often used by non-Catholics in opposition to praying to saints?*Eccl. 9:5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward; but the memory of them is lost.*If so:*Another concern that may come to mind is "How can the dead hear us?" Doesn't Scripture say the dead "know nothing"? (Ecc 9:5)

First, we see in Scripture a number of examples of the conscious awareness of angels or those who have undergone physical death.
[LIST]
]Tabitha, who was dead, rises at the prompt of Peter telling her to rise (Act 9:36-40).
*]Jesus speaks with "dead" OT saints Moses and Elijah (Mt 17:3, Mk 9:4, Lk 9:30) (Granted someone could say Elijah didn't die but was assumed, but going by Scripture the same cannot be said of Moses, cf. Josh 1:1).
*]The angels are fully aware of what we say and do, and they even rejoice when a sinner repents (Lk 15:10, 1 Cor 4:9, Ps 91:11).
*]I would also reiterate the vision in heaven of angels and elders passing on prayers mentioned above from the book of Revelation. And even in the Old Testament, although done in a sinful way, a witch summons a manifestation of the deceased Samuel, which she could not do if the dead could not respond to her (1 Sam 28:7-14).
[/LIST]
So what does the "dead know nothing" mean in Ecclesiastes? (Read full article here) ;)

[quote="MarcoPolo, post:3, topic:322718"]
Are you sure you don't mean Ecclesiastes 9:5 which is often used by non-Catholics in opposition to praying to saints?*Eccl. 9:5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward; but the memory of them is lost.*If so:*Another concern that may come to mind is "How can the dead hear us?" Doesn't Scripture say the dead "know nothing"? (Ecc 9:5)

First, we see in Scripture a number of examples of the conscious awareness of angels or those who have undergone physical death.
[LIST]
]Tabitha, who was dead, rises at the prompt of Peter telling her to rise (Act 9:36-40).
*]Jesus speaks with "dead" OT saints Moses and Elijah (Mt 17:3, Mk 9:4, Lk 9:30) (Granted someone could say Elijah didn't die but was assumed, but going by Scripture the same cannot be said of Moses, cf. Josh 1:1).
*]The angels are fully aware of what we say and do, and they even rejoice when a sinner repents (Lk 15:10, 1 Cor 4:9, Ps 91:11).
*]I would also reiterate the vision in heaven of angels and elders passing on prayers mentioned above from the book of Revelation. And even in the Old Testament, although done in a sinful way, a witch summons a manifestation of the deceased Samuel, which she could not do if the dead could not respond to her (1 Sam 28:7-14).
[/LIST]
So what does the "dead know nothing" mean in Ecclesiastes? (Read full article here
) ;)

[/quote]

I don't understand why people bring up Ecclesiastes in this way anyway. Much of it involves lamentations about life by a man who, though wise, nonetheless lacked much of the revelation we gained at the advent of Jesus Christ.

=fabio rocha;10612617]How to explain and object Eccesiastes 5:9?

6 And say not: The mercy of the Lord is great, he will have mercy on the multitude of my sins. 7 For mercy and wrath quickly come from him, and his wrath looketh upon sinners.8 Delay not to be converted to the Lord, and defer it not from day to day. [9] For his wrath shall come on a sudden, and in the time of vengeance he will destroy thee. 1] Be not anxious for goods unjustly gotten: for they shall not profit thee in the day of calamity and revenge.

Here's the Lesson:

1. God allows US to choose the location of our Eternal destinity'

2. IF one has staryed from God's commands, mandates and laws: REPENT AND CONVERT while it is still POSSIBLE

3. We do not know when our time of the First Judgment will take place. DO NOT PRESUME on GOD'S MERCY!

4. God Alone is the Master of birth and death

REPENT AND CONVERT

1. God's "wrath" is driven by His hatred of our sins

[quote="fhansen, post:4, topic:322718"]
I don't understand why people bring up Ecclesiastes in this way anyway. Much of it involves lamentations about life by a man who, though wise, nonetheless lacked much of the revelation we gained at the advent of Jesus Christ.

[/quote]

Yup - that is mentioned in article I previously linked to. ;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.