How to explain it?

How do you explain 14:28 to JW? Of course, they believe this verse rejects the Trinity:

“You heard me tell you, ‘I am going away and I will come back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father; for the Father is greater than I”

This is from the book “Beginning Apologetics 2”

Those passages which describe Jesus as subordinate to God the Father ('the Father is greater than I am," Jn 14:28) refer to Him *as man. *They must be read in the light of other passages that refer to Him as God (“I and the Father are one,” Jn. 10:30; “He that has seen me has seen the Father,” Jn 14:9)

Jesus made statements about Himself that only God could make. For example, He said, “I am the way and the truth and the life”(Jn 14:6). No created being can say I am the life. Only God can say that about Himself because He is Life itself, and the source of life for all created beings. A creature can only say, “I have life.” The same applies to Jesus’ statement, “I AM the truth.” A creature can only say “I know the truth.” Only God can say I AM the truth because only God is Truth Itself.

Hope this helps
In Christ
Javier

thank you.

I just noticed I forgot to include “John” before the verse no. How embarrassing :eek:

An Ex-JW turned Catholic has a great webpage you should check out with Apologetics articles for learning about and discussing JWs:
catholicxjw.com/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.