How to explain our ministerial priesthood..

Hi, I have a question about Ireneus who said “Wherefore we must obey the priests of the Church who have succession from the Apostles.

A Protestant told me his words,"The division between clergy and leity is not found in God’s written Word in the new testament and was not established by Christ or His apostlesas.
The Protestant goes on to say in retort, " Because Christ is the one mediator, a priest after the order of Melchisedec there is no need for a priesthood between Him and His people or His people and His Father.
It was in order to prevent the establishment of a priesthood in the church that Peter wrote to the everyday believer “you are a royal priesthood”.

Can you help me to answer this person?
Thank You
Mary Grace.

These links should give you the answers that you need. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
**Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]Aren’t we all priests?
*]What is the difference between the Common Priesthood and Ministerial Priesthood?
*]The Priesthood Is Both Ministerial and Universal
*]Does 1 Peter 2:9 indicate that we are all priests?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.