How to explain why homosexuality is sinful?

I have a friend who is homosexual. She knows that I don’t agree with it but I am always lost for words when she or someone else asks me why I believe homosexuality is sinful. I don’t want to sound cruel but I want to make sure I’m saying the right things in these debates. Any advice on how to handle this would be appreciated. Thanks! :confused: :frowning:

Homosexuality is not sinful.

Having sex with someone you’re not married to, however, is sinful. It doesn’t matter what the other person’s gender is.

The Church does not recognize the possibility of homosexual marriage, so it’s not possible for homosexuals to engage in sexual activity without incurring sin. But it’s not the gender - it’s the question of marriage.

A man and woman commit an equal sin by having sex outside marriage. There is no difference in the eyes of the Church.

Excellent answer. All truth.

As a married woman there have been times when I am attracted to people other than my husband. But I don’t go around committing adultery with excuses such as “the heart wants what the heart wants” or “I can’t help who I am attracted to”.

Defeating “gay” arguments with simple logic

Let’s clarify here. Straight people having sex inside the covenant of marriage, but who are not open to life are also committing a sin. They are still using the gift of sex for selfish purposes. Then they are in the same boat as the unmarried couple, who, as noted above, are in the same boat as the homosexual couple.

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.” They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved. (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 2357)

The bolded is the reason that homosexual ACTS (not to be confused with the PERSON who experiences a same-sex-attraction) are disordered and cannot be approved.

If they have worked to remove the procreative nature of an act, yes, sort of. It’s important to distinguish between “not being open to life/selfishness” and “purposefully rendering the act infertile/working to remove the procreative nature of an act that is taking place/divorcing the procreative nature of an act from the unitive”.

I don’t know if there’s really much you can say that would change her. She probably has already heard the arguments.

However, if anybody asks, you could say you believe in following God’s commandments.

Another answer would be about how God created us male and female, that you believe that we need to be what we were created to be, not something we are not.

There is the answer as to nature, that in nature, in the vast majority of species, homosexuality is a bit of an aberration. It goes against nature.

Some try to promote homosexuality, but what would happen if everybody did this?

Have you ever read any statistics on homosexuality? Here are some:
carm.org/statistics-homosexual-promiscuity

The link is not working for me. Can you check it?

TV is loaded with the kind of nonsense you describe. “Do what you feel” is the motto. :rolleyes:

The Catechism tells us that homosexuality is one of only 4 sins which “cries out to heaven” for vengeance.

Defeating “gay” arguments with simple logic

It will be a pdf download.

In todays society there are those who want to make homosexuality as something that is not disordered. To tell homosexual persons that there lifestyle is not problematic is only to worsen their situation. Check out the link under my signature and if you want to get deep into learning about homosexuality ewtn has a good writing about the anthropology of homosexuality that I can post later.

Link not working.

It does matter what the gender is. Having an affair with someone is sinful, fornication or adultery. Having homosexual sex is more grave a sin.

defendthefamily.com/index.php?viewmode=resources

I went to the main site, hit “Resources”, and the article is listed in the “Pro-Family Advocacy” section. I think it’s not working because it’s a pdf format…maybe our web browsers can’t pick it up (others may be able to). Anyway, you cab get to it from the defendthefamily.com website.

Got it! Thanks!

Sex is designed by God for a man and woman to work in cooperation with Him in creating new life.Those in homosexual relationships can’t possibly achieve this,therein lies the disordered attraction.
Re the sinful nature of this type of relationship it is due to the disordered nature.Adultery,sex outside of marriage,are also sinful but not for the same reasons.

One thing to do is treat homosexual persons as you would treat anyone else. That I think is something they long for. Be respectfull but truthfull.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.