How to fast without hunger

Just thought I’d share this wonderful fasting tip I learned… besides drinking plenty of fluids, when you start getting so hungry you get grouchy (which scripture says is unacceptable) DRINK A FISH OIL COMPOUND! It tricks your body into thinking you’re full. Just a couple of sips or swigs is all it takes and plus it’s good for you!
I only fast typically for a few hours or a day but 3 days max. When I go several days I drink beef broth to enable me to endure.
Hope someone finds this useful.

Was going to suggest the lemonade drink of the “Master Cleanse.” :shrug:

Isn’t being hungry the whole point of fasting!!!

ICXC NIKA.

Or the Eucharist. :smiley: I went to 7:30 AM Mass on Ash Wednesday. Was only a bit hungry when I next ate at 2. And I probably could have made it to dinner if I wanted.

I think it is. :wink:

I’m wondering, are you trying to lose weight, or train your soul and will?! Besides, fasting is not a competition. If you get grumpy, try dealing with it, not taking a sip of some miraculous elixir, that will cure your grumpiness. The point of fasting is not not to eat, but to experience the lack of sensual pleasures, so being hungry is certainly part of the deal. How does it sound this to you: I was fasting for a week and never felt hungry. Isn’t that great!
What’s the point then?

I’m wondering, are you trying to lose weight, or train your soul and will?!

In all fairness, the two are not necessarily opposites; one could be trying to shape up their human body for the spiritual life.

If weight loss is part of the plan however, fasting is probably not the way to do it, as body will go into “starvation mode”.

Better to begin a strict diet, and think in terms of penance rather than fasting, per se. Then fast for purely religious reasons on a limited basis.

ICXC NIKA.

Why!? Will our resurrected bodies have the same weight?:eek: I think it’s terrible news for Saint Thomas Aquinas. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: I think I should start a diet, or fast, or, whatever, too. :cool:

Lol, you know better:):slight_smile:

A healthier earthen body is more suitable to the faith life, all other factors being equal.

ICXC NIKA

Then, what about suffering? Isn’t suffering gate to numerous graces? Not inflicted on oneself suffering, of course, but sickness, illness and others. The Church itself is built upon the blood of the martyrs.
That’s why we fast, to accommodate ourselves with deprivation and pain. Isn’t this why?

Actually I don’t fast at all since i have type 1 diabetes.

I think you fast more then most of us.

Sure.

On the other hand, I’m not excited about explaining to people whom I love: *look, I’m trying to fast, and I’m trying to deal with being in a bad mood. Just deal with how snippy I am, and just deal with how everything I say sounds condescending and rude. I’m just hungry and low on energy, OK?!

Such a thing is counter-productive, too. :slight_smile:

*Sacrificing something small for the Lord – and all that we have is small, whether a lot of food or a bit – is a wonderful thing. But we don’t need to drag everyone around us into gloom, especially if it’s in order to fulfill some sort of ego trip about how spiritually strong we are.

When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. Matt 6,16-18

He says, put the oil on your head, not drink it. You don’t need to show everybody your fasting. If you can deal with the amount of fast your doing, why don’t you try cutting back to a point you don’t jump at peoples throat. And don’t tell me that abstaining on Fridays from meat makes you grumpy.

It is hard to fast as a diabetic, so I am always looking for other ways of “fasting”. But I don’t not fast to avoid hunger, it’s just that I cannot go without eating.

You can fast from other things, not just eating or drinking. Say you fast from Pc/laptop a day, or not doing a habit you have, and it’s bad, not the good one’s of course. It is the traditional way to fast from food and drink, since for a very long time, you didn’t have anything else from which to abstain. In family it was also required for one to abstain from intimate relations on days of fasting. But, today, we have so much things in our lives, that it can be confusing. One is not supposed to put his life in danger by fasting, but to order one’s desires and instincts.

No, I fully understand that bodily conditions can make food fasting difficult or impossible; my comment was directed at those who are physically hale.

My oops if any offense was taken by you or anybody.

I stand by my remark that absent any limiting body conditions, dealing with hunger, Etc, would be part of the point of fasting.

ICXC NIKA

No offense taken by me.

I wonder if taking a diet pill to avoid hunger on a day of fasting would be sinful? I suspect that it would.

LOVE! :heart:

Somewhere scripture says that God doesn’t accept fasting that involves quarreling, complaining, something like that…I understand that one sacrifices the pleasure of food rather than torturing oneself.

Somewhere scripture says that God doesn’t accept fasting that involves quarreling, complaining, something like that…I understand that one sacrifices the pleasure of food rather than torturing oneself.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.