How to get addicted to prayer

Can anyone help me “get addicted to prayer”? I want to be able to have to the confidence and will to pray anywhere and to pray regularly. Does anyone have any advice on how to start praying a lot and also where/when/what I should pray?

I would start by making the sign of the cross a lot. Even if your prayer is silent. Even if it is just a thought offered up to God, or a before a quick snack, make the sign of the cross. It gives me a brief opportunity to connect with Him.

If your thinking of something a bit less visible, then perhaps give thanks in your mind for the things around you. When I’m walking to the bus stop, for instance, I thank Him for all the beauty in nature that I see. The trees, the sky, that sort of thing.
Kind of simple advice, but I hope it helps. :thumbsup:

Pray the Jesus Prayer:

“Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.”

Use a rosary, prayer-rope, or other counting device and pray the Jesus Prayer often. You can also make the Sign of the Cross when you pray it. :slight_smile:

Have a fixed time for morning prayer and evening prayer.

Thank you. I already try to pray with my chotki before bed, among other prayers, but that seems to be the only time I pray. What is some good advice to help me pray when I wake up?

I’d suggest trying to pray the prayer throughout the day. Here is a set of Byzantine morning prayers: orthodox.net/services/morning-prayers.html I’d suggest choosing a couple of them as you desire in the morning. I like this one a lot:

Prayer II, St. Macarius the Great:

Having risen from sleep, I offer unto Thee, O Saviour, the midnight hymn, and falling down I cry unto Thee: Grant me not to fall asleep in the death of sin, but have compassion on me, O Thou Who wast voluntarily crucified, and hasten to raise me who am reclining in idleness, and save me in prayer and intercession; and after the night’s sleep shine upon me a sinless day, O Christ God, and save me.

Prayer IX, to the Holy Guardian Angel:

O holy angel that standeth by my wretched soul and my passionate life, forsake not me a sinner, nor shrink from me because of mine intemperance. Give no place for the cunning demon to master me through the violence of my mortal body, strengthen my poor and feeble hand, and guide me in the way of salvation. Yea, O holy angel of God, guardian and protector of my wretched soul and body, forgive me all wherein I have offended thee all the days of my life; and if I have sinned during the past night, protect me during the present day, and guard me from every temptation of the enemy, that I may not anger God by any sin. And pray to the Lord for me, that He may establish me in His fear, and show me, His servant, to be worthy of His goodness. Amen.

If you prefer modern English: goarch.org/chapel/liturgical_texts/daily_prayers

Prayer is a virtue that needs to be developed bit by bit. Some people’s temperament is more inclined to prayer, so it is easier to develop. If you try to do a lot all at once, you will burn out. I asked this to a priest from the FSSP. His response was to start, make sure to get in your Morning Offering first thing in the morning in order to gain merit for your good works throughout the day, followed by the Three Hail Mary’s and St. Joseph prayer (the one that’s usually listed as being for after Mass. It’s the one about protecting virgins), and to pray the rosary if you have time during the day as well as to do some meditation. Prayer really is something which quality over quantity is important. Don’t just try to “pray a lot” to get addicted to it. It’s really not something that one “gets addicted to” (unless we’re talking about attachment to consolations), but rather as the person grows in virtue, especially charity, they naturally become inclined more and more to prayer. As this happens, the way they pray changes and matures through different levels of prayers (read St. Teresa of Avila’s “The Interior Castle”. It’s really good for helping with one’s prayer life.).

The best advice I can give you is to not get stuck on vocal prayers, as mental prayer is the gate way to the spiritual life. It’s important to do meditation as well. The other thing, which is really important is don’t get attached to spiritual and sensible consolations when you do pray because when they go away (and they will), it will be even more difficult to pray because it will be entirely based up on your will to persevere and suffer through the dryness and desolation.

Is it bad that the prayers are coming from an Orthodox site? Are there any prayers on here that I should avoid?

Those are the same prayers that the Byzantine Catholics pray. :slight_smile: If you have the money, this is a good Byzantine prayerbook published by the Melkite Catholic Church: melkite.org/products-page/prayer-books/publicans-prayer-book

Sure start by not thinking it is something that you need to be addicted to but something you are called to do, something you ought to do, something you need to do then something you desire to do will come naturally.
God bless you and your family!

Prayer is simply a dialogue with God. Make it a habit to say good morning to God the moment you wake up. But there are different forms of prayer, and not all prayer is a prayer of petition. The more you get to know God the more you will want to speak to Him from your heart, and that is the goal; to speak to God from your heart. Prayer is necessary for the soul, as breathing for your lungs. I would suggest you sit back and listen to this brief talk by Archbishop Fulton Sheen about how to pray this way: LISTEN NOW

:thumbsup:

And my very small addition - keep searching till you find the “prayer” that works (is right) for you.

For example - my morning prayer is always a hymn. It took me a bit to discover that but once I did it felt so very right. Then it took a little bit longer to find just the right hymn but after that it was so easy to slip from waking into the prayer before I ever got moving in the day. The music is all in my head, or should I say soul?, but for me it’s a perfect way of connecting, speaking, being with and listening, to our Lord. And it’s a great way to wake up :slight_smile:

God made each of us unique - so it can be a challenge to find the right personal prayer method - but once you do, I’m sure it will fill you with great happiness.

Note: I am not speaking in any way against what anyone else has posted or implying that the Church’s formal prayers are not universal and powerful. Just sharing what worked for me, in my personal experience.

Speak your mind to God. Tell Him you love Him, thank Him for your blessings, ask Him for help when needed and apologize for your sins. Keep an open mind and heart for what He has to say to you too.:slight_smile:

The Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be and St. Michael prayer are excellent prayers for those who don’t pray a lot (and even those who do.) Never underestimate the power of a simple prayer. Some of the best ones, like these, are simple.

If you feel like you can manage, I would suggest that you try to pray at least one decade of the Rosary each day.

Do you know how I can remind myself in the morning? Or at least not say “oh, I’ll do it later” when I wake up and not end up praying? Thanks.

Put a large note on your door or anything else that you use every morning. :slight_smile:

I was in the same boat as you. Honestly, the best advice I can give you is to just do it. After awhile it forms into a habit, and then if you miss your prayers you’ll feel as if something was missing. Also, talk to God throughout the day, either interiorly or out loud. Sometimes I find myself telling Him how much I love Him while I’m doing the dishes. It just becomes automatic and you don’t even realize it.

Ok. I’ll try that.

Begin your day with prayer. As soon as your feet hit the floor in the morning then say a little prayer. Then you will tend to pray more throughout the day too.

I always start my day with the prayer of abandonment. I even wrote it down and had it next to my bed until I had it memorized.

**Father,
I abandon myself into your hands;
do with me what you will.
Whatever you may do, I thank you:
I am ready for all, I accept all.

Let only your will be done in me,
and in all your creatures -
I wish no more than this, O Lord.

Into your hands I commend my soul:
I offer it to you with all the love of my heart,
for I love you, Lord, and so need to give myself,
to surrender myself into your hands without reserve,
and with boundless confidence,
for you are my Father.**

Yes. Gets your day started right, with our Lord. :thumbsup:

My thoughts -

Keep it simple to do - if you wish to use a prayer you haven’t memorized, make a copy and place it next to your bed to grab as soon as you wake up. If you use anything in your prayer ritual (bible, book, rosary, candle), again, have them right there and ready. For me, anything “extra” I have to do to accomplish something can be a reason to postpone it.

Make it pleasant - have one spot where you pray and have it “set” - right light, right surface to kneel, stand or sit on, right temperature (or right slippers for cold floors) - If there’s something I dislike about doing a task, again, I tend to postpone it. (The reason why I like to think about praying outdoors every morning, but am praying in my bedroom instead - at least till Spring!)

Make a reminder - associate it with a specific thing - prayer is right before breakfast, or before putting on your shoes, or right after you make your bed … I remember better to do a new habit when I place it right before or right after something I already do automatically. And feel free to put a note on your cereal box, or other place to remind you.

Hope something here might be useful to you! .

This has worked for me: Keep paper, pen, prayer book or bible at your bedside. In morning and at night, write a few prayers slowly, as if** you** were creating those words for the first time. Example: The “Our Father” prayer: you could write this prayer for months, meditating and finding something new each time, yet reinforcing the original prayer at the same time. Use longhand, not keyboard. It has a different effect on your interior.

Use pens, calligraphy pens, feltpens, pencil, crayons, paint, charcoal…whatever. Just try writing prayers slowly and with focus on the words and meaning.

It should be a way of life. Life should be a continuos prayer.
And God should always be present. Prayer is dialogue with God. If you love someone you wish to communicate with them. Thats why we should pray because we love God and wish to show this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.