How to get EWTN in UK?

How do you get EWTN channel in the UK? I know you can get it on Freesat, but for that you need a satellite fish and we live in a flat and out Landlord will not allow it. Is their an alternative? I really want EWTN!

All the options that I know of would involve either cable or satellite. I don't live in the UK, but I do live in a flat and I know our landlord wouldn't allow either cable or sattelite.

There IS live feed of EWTN television available on the internet at their website www.ewtn.com - I think you need to go to the 'multimedia' tab. Depending on the speed of your internet connection and other things, it's almost as good as watching it on tv.

Abyssinia, I don’t live in the UK, so I really don’t know. However, EWTN has a UK website which discusses availability.
ewtn.co.uk/index.html

Unfortunately, neither FreeView nor Virgin Media nor IPTV provide EWTN, although people are encouraged to write those companies and request it (which would be provided free of cost to the companies.)

EWTN can be listened to via shortwave radio, however there are no AM or FM stations which broadcast any portion of EWTN.

And although this is unsatisfactory for a number of reasons, over the internet it is possible to stream the EWTN broadcast.

[quote="LilyM, post:2, topic:224740"]
All the options that I know of would involve either cable or satellite. I don't live in the UK, but I do live in a flat and I know our landlord wouldn't allow either cable or sattelite.

There IS live feed of EWTN television available on the internet at their website www.ewtn.com - I think you need to go to the 'multimedia' tab. Depending on the speed of your internet connection and other things, it's almost as good as watching it on tv.

[/quote]

Your Landlord will not allow cable? Cable doesn't even need a dish does it? Why won't he/she allow it?

After phoning the landlord a few times he said to write a letter in and he will discuss it with his manager. The reason they don't allow it is because it creates an eyesore. But if it on the roof or at the top of building no one would even see it. Hopefully their might be a chance, we have to explain in detail why we want it, what kind of dish it is. I'm going to use every reason possible, that we have a bad connection with our cable company, I need the channel to help with my Religious studies A Level work.

But please guys, if you have any more ideas on how to get this channel please post in case this letter this does not work out?

Your Landlord will not allow cable? Cable doesn’t even need a dish does it? Why won’t he/she allow it?

After phoning the landlord a few times he said to write a letter in and he will discuss it with his manager. The reason they don’t allow it is because the dish creates an eyesore. But if it on the roof or at the top of building no one would even see it. Hopefully their might be a chance, we have to explain in detail why we want it, what kind of dish it is, the dimensions of the dish etc. I’m going to use every reason possible, that we have a bad connection with our cable company, I need the channel to help with my Religious studies A Level work etc.

But please guys, if you have any more ideas on how to get this channel please post in case this letter this does not work out?

You would probably have better luck if you told them you wanted it for sports and not religious television. :ballspin:

[quote="Abyssinia, post:5, topic:224740"]
Your Landlord will not allow cable? Cable doesn't even need a dish does it? Why won't he/she allow it?

After phoning the landlord a few times he said to write a letter in and he will discuss it with his manager. The reason they don't allow it is because the dish creates an eyesore. But if it on the roof or at the top of building no one would even see it. Hopefully their might be a chance, we have to explain in detail why we want it, what kind of dish it is, the dimensions of the dish etc. I'm going to use every reason possible, that we have a bad connection with our cable company, I need the channel to help with my Religious studies A Level work etc.

[/quote]

Cable doesn't require a dish, however it does require some work to be done to a house or building where it is to be installed, and this is what the body corporate (not the individual landlords, but their representative group) of our building doesn't agree to. Some do, not ours.

I watch it online www.ewtn.com
Choose the option television, Live TV - English, and then Europe English.

The Landlord wrote back and they will not allow it because it is a standard rule for no dishes on flats. But they allow it on houses! Can you believe it.

[quote="Abyssinia, post:1, topic:224740"]
How do you get EWTN channel in the UK? I know you can get it on Freesat, but for that you need a satellite fish and we live in a flat and out Landlord will not allow it. Is their an alternative? I really want EWTN!

[/quote]

It is possible to get a satellite receiver purely for EWTN from St Clare Media, but as your landlord won't allow satellite this won't be much use to you:(

I've heard one or two UK people asking if we could campaign for it to become one of the Freeview channels we get for free, but I don't know whether this has happened, or what the outcome was. Perhaps that's one option - just to see if it eventually goes on Freeview.

I wish I had it on freeview :(

I'm renting in student accomdation, so we're lucky enough to convince our landlords to pay for a satellite dish so we could watch freeview in our own rooms. The landlord did pay for Virgin in the living room, but it hasn't been working all year yet no one cares because everyone just watches TV in their own rooms now anyway.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it will become freeview. It's a very "niche" channel, even if EWTN offers it for free.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.