How to Gird Up Your Loins

-Tim-

lol. What did I just read?

:rotfl:

I’ve always wondered what it would look like exactly.

I think I’ll stick to pants and shorts, TYVM.

The easiest way is just to put on a jockstrap.

The ancient Greeks looked down on Persians as effeminate because the Persians wore pants/trousers. :smiley:

Dude you win the “most obscure information people really don’t know they want to know award.” :thumbsup:

Thanks TimothyH for posting this.

I will now have more insight into Sacred Scripture when this phrase is used.

Basically it means get ready for battle (spiritual battle), hard work, or both.

Again thanks for the insights.

EPHESIANS 6:14. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of justice . . .

God bless.

Cathoholic

This brings up a good point. There is humor here but there is also useful information.

Understanding the literal sense of the phrases used in the Bible - what it would have meant to a Jew in the first century in ordinary language - helps us understand the spiritual senses.

The phrase, “It’s raining cats and dogs” simply means that it is raining really hard. Someone reading it five thousand years from now however, might not understand the phrase and get the wrong idea about what it means.

It is important to understand the literal sense of phrases such as “gird up your loins” so that we can understand the spiritual senses.

-Tim-

Hi, All ~

It always struck me as odd that many men through the ages have been inclined to wear ‘dresses’ in the first place.

On Christian TV a while back, a priest was telling a story from his high school days. The ending comment was, “I didn’t get the girl…but I got the dress .”

I don’t know how it works spiritually, but more and more it seems there is a ‘male spirit in woman’, and a ‘female spirit in man’.

Every time I see a man in a suit but sporting a pink shirt, it hits me as an odd combination. It’s odd, as well, to see a woman in blue jeans with a very frilly top. (Yes, I’ve done it.) :wink:

As our ‘counterparts’ rise, perhaps homosexuality and women making up combat regiments - won’t seem so odd, after all.

Maybe the real problems of the world come from each of us being just a little ‘schizophrenic’ - or just ‘upside down’? :smiley: Perhaps it also contributes to the existential question, “Who am I…really?” : )

Best to All,

PJ

This brings to mind the mother of the seven sons in 2 Maccabees 7. It prefigures Mary’s courage.

She encouraged each of them in the language of their fathers. Filled with a noble spirit, she fired her woman’s reasoning with a man’s courage, and said to them, (2 Maccabees 7:21)

I like when God challenges Job to debate…

Gird up your loins like a man,
I will question you, and you shall declare to me.
"Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell me, if you have understanding."

(Job 38:3-4)

These are some extremely beautiful and humbling passages about God, his creation and our place in it.

-Tim-

These verses are interesting in the different light. Thanks!

TimothyH

THANKS!

I would guess that there is a lot more out there.

Give me more!!!

THANKS!!!

Manners and Customs in the Bible by Victor H. Matthews.

"This resource will help readers gain invaluable background information on the Bible’s culture, its people, and how they lived. Each chapter furnishes an introduction to the historical, political, and physical setting of five basic periods in Israel’s history. Drawing from clues in the biblical text, archaeological discoveries, and contemporary documents, Dr. Matthews opens up both difficult and overly familiar passages of Scripture. He explains cultural practices, religious tensions, and apparent contradictions in the Bible."

books.google.com/books/content?id=NlKRQgAACAAJ&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&imgtk=AFLRE71IpYPAk3VgrB5zFdXRnbA7G5TYfccNwv05eilyYKK-e4W1AYuI1h9SsGknWmB4efkTXPk7sb_2l6HGKVzt64jlc6ip_9hLu4OTCgDX3aSgHewmoGWCEMSA6V-I9HXERaqwFcpr

-Tim-

Tim

THANKS!

I gave you five stars!!!

Go figure. And now people accuse women who wear pants of being too “masculine”.

Granted, Persian pants were poofy things…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.