How to grow in Trust in the Lord

What is best way to increase trust in God? I struggle with this. I don’t know if I actually distrust God, but sometimes distrust that I am worthy of His love.

I want to trust God more, and less emphasis in a legalistic approach to religion (counting my sins, living in fear of losing my salvation, etc). I can be somewhat cynical by nature, and I don’t accept things at face-value, but like to look deeper to gain confidence in the truth to things. This carries over to religion for me as well.

Have others struggled with this as well? How is this tendency overcome?

Read the Diary of St. Maria Faustina, and pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. Im currently reading the Diary, and I’m enjoying it very much. I highly suggest it, as well as praying the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. It is prayed on a regular Rosary.
To pray it:
On the Crucifix- Our Father, Hail Mary, Apostles Creed

On the Our Father Beads- Eternal Father, I offer You the Body and Blood of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, in Atonement for our sins, and those of the whole world.

On the Hail Mary Beads- For the sake of His Sorrowful Passion, have Mercy on us, and on the Whole World.

On the bead where you would say the Hail Holy Queen- Repeat 3 times: Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, Have Mercy on Us and on the Whole World.

Also, just pray, and keep saying Jesus, I Trust In You. I know how you feel, I feel the same way sometimes. But dont worry, God is with you, and loves you beyond all things. Youre in my prayers, God Bless,
Jacob :signofcross:

I need to qualify my response, simply because since I live alone under private vows, I do not have the complications that life can be when one is married and has children perhaps and has the worries that being in the workforce can be. Hence, it may be easy for me to talk - as the saying goes.

If wanting to embark on the spiritual life adventure, it is good to read good spiritual books, texts etc. and to set time aside certainly at very least once weekly to so read. The other very important aid can be to search for a good spiritual director and when one finds one - one has a great spiritual treasure and gift.
For 20 years I could not find one and so I trusted in God and when I look back, though they were years of struggles, I never went far astray at all - not at all. Though at the time I did not realize this.

I certainly went through a long period of wanting to trust The Lord but just not being able to get there, to that total trust and confidence, abandonment, that I really did long for. I prayed for it consistently - for the gift of total trust - and as often as possible I made acts of trusts. I can’t remember where it started to be honest, but I began to trust Him and as time went on I found the more I actually totally trusted Him with confident trust quite literally, the more that my absolute trust in Him grew in all things.

But I cannot say it has been a gradual progression to trust nor can I say that now I always totally trust The Lord. It has been growth but often I seemed to go backwards and lean too much on myself. It has been a journey and is a journey still. I think we need to find contentment always in making the beginning with a firm resolution to keep on trying and praying no matter what…and then to carry it through. The spritual life really is a great adventure - a great interior adventure - and probably the greatest of our lives that goes on until death. Often it is a journey within a journey.

My greatest aid in my journey has been a few spiritual classics, and for many years the autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux - but"Abandonment to Divine Providence" is the work I most consistently refer to:
The Chapters are extensive and cover just about every spiritual situation I think. The Letters at the end of the work are also of great profit.
Online Copy:
ccel.org/ccel/decaussade/abandonment.toc.html

Most of all pray always and be persistent in prayer for it is always and forever answered in the very best manner always for oneself and for all. It is never ever that our prayers are not answered, it can be though that we cannot hear the answer we are given and often because we have in mind the answer we want and not open to what The Lord may want to give us because it is what we need …but not necessarily what we want.

[FONT=Arial]God bless you on your journey…Barb:) [/FONT]

I think that this is the fundamental message of the Bible. Faith and trust are basically the same thing.

Today, we take “faith in God” as meaning “I believe God exists,” yet the Bible takes that for granted. In the Bible, the question of faith is whether God cares or can be trusted to do what He says.

The famous passage in the Hebrews about being justified by faith is really about being justified by trust. The Patriarchs, Prophets, Judges and Kings of the Old Testament (who were justified) gained their justification through trusting God: ultimately, no matter what else they did, God forgave them because they put their lives in His hands when it counted.

Similarly, sin is primarily a lack of trust in God (conversely, the principle that all sin is ultimately pride still applies, because, in our pride, we trust our judgement more than His).

Whatever else, the lesson of everything in the Old Testament is "trust God."
Then the Gospels: “Consider the lilies of the field.” “Let the dead bury their dead.” “Deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow Me.”

To give a practical answer, the best way is just to do it.
Trust Him.

Pray, “Jesus I trust in You,” but put it into practice.

Tithe till it hurts. When you see someone standing along the road in need of a ride, and you’re already late for work as it is, pull over and give the poor person a ride. When you see someone standing on the side of the road in need of food or money, take the time and effort to give it.

Throw away the birth control pills or devices (if they’re a factor), or, if using NFP, really seriously consider it (or, if NFP is necessary, then trust God to see you through the tough part of th month).

Tkae the risks God wants you to take. That’s how you learn to trust Him.

And you’ll be greatly rewarded for it:
“Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for my sake and for the sake of the gospel who will not receive a hundred times more now in this present age: houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and eternal life in the age to come.” (Mk 10:29-30).

I think to have your same problem, or very similar one.
I noticed thousands of times that my faith is not little as a grain of mustard: it’s much more little.
And I am not a boy: I am 46 and I have done continuosly the experience that God doesn’t leave me alone, that His help is punctual and sizeable.
And yet… I fear, I panic almost everyday for my future.
However, I am not worried too much.
It’s already a grace to have noticed my lack of trust. One year ago, I didn’t realize my mistrust.
Now, at least, I can say: “Jesus, mercy upon me. Raise my faith, my trust, my hope”.
I am sure this way I will better but I guess my struggle must be long and patient.
I agree with Jacob 21: take into consideration to read the Diary of St Faustina, I’m reading it for the third time, it is changing my life.
Ciao

thanks, I will give this a read. I have heard good things about the diary.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I will look into the book that you mentioned.:slight_smile:

Thanks, I appreciate the comments. I agree with what you say. My stuggle is making this a reality, and not just something I agree with in my head.:rolleyes:

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

There is a True Devotion to Mary practiced by none other than His Holiness Pope John Paul II that may be just what you are looking for. :slight_smile: First, why should we care about a True Devotion to Mary

From the Cathechism of the Catholic Church:
Mary - “Blessed is she who believed”
**148 **The Virgin Mary most perfectly embodies the obedience of faith. By faith Mary welcomes the tidings and promise brought by the angel Gabriel, believing that “with God nothing will be impossible” and so giving her assent: “Behold I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be [done] to me according to your word.” Elizabeth greeted her: “Blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord.” It is for this faith that all generations have called Mary blessed.

**149 **Throughout her life and until her last ordeal when Jesus her son died on the cross, Mary’s faith never wavered. She never ceased to believe in the fulfillment of God’s word. And so the Church venerates in Mary the purest realization of faith.

So… now that we understand why it is Mary that is so worth imitating, we can look at the benefits:

Chapter 6 of St. Louis Mary de Montfort’s True Devotion to Mary
WONDERFUL EFFECTS OF THIS DEVOTION
2. A Share in Mary’s Faith

214. **** Mary will share her faith with you. Her faith on earth was stronger than that of all the patriarchs, prophets, apostles and saints. Now that she is reigning in heaven she no longer has this faith, since she sees everything clearly in God by the light of glory. However, with the consent of Almighty God, she did not lose it when entering heaven. She has persevered it for her faithful servants in the Church Militant. Therefore, the more you gain the friendship of this noble Queen and Virgin, the more will you be inspired by faith in your daily life. It will cause you to depend less upon sensible and extraordinary feelings. For it is a lively faith animated by charity enabling you to do everyting from no other motive than that of pure love. **(Rom 5:1-2; Heb. 11:33; Col 2:3, Luke 1:79; 1 Pet 5:8-9)**It is a firm fiath, unshakeable as a rock, prompting you to remain firm and steadfast in the midst of storms and tempests. It is an active and probing faith which **like some mysterious pass-key **admits you into the mysteries of Jesus Christ and of man’s final destiny and into the very heart of God himself. It is a courageous faith which inspires you to undertake and carry out without hesitation great things for God and the salvation of souls. Lastly, this faith will be your flaming torch, your very life with God, your secret fund of divine Wisdom, and an all-powerful weapon for you to enlighten those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death. It inflames those who are lukewarm and need the gold of fervent love. It restores life to those who are dead through sin. It moves and transforms hearts of marble and cedars of Lebanon by gentle and convincing argument. Finally, this faith will strengthen you to resist the devil and the other enemies of salvation.

If I am not mistaken - ‘faith’ and ‘trust in the Lord’ are the same thing :confused:

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Free information on devoting oneself to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary:
Online Adoration of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament louisville-catholic.net/WebCameras/AdorationChapel/tabid/825/Default.aspx
***** True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin ***** montfort.org.uk/Writings/TrueDev.html
**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
Preparation for 33 day consecration to the Blessed Virgin saintlouisdemontfort.com/consecration.cfm
Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm
**The Glories of Mary, ** by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains Hail Holy Queen http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/glories.htm
On the Dolors of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains the sufferings of Our Lady http://writer.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors
Marialis Cultus (Apostolic Exhortation for the Right Ordering and Development of Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary of His Holiness, February 2, 1974 by His Holiness Pope Paul VI ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P6MARIAL.HTM
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.
Divine Mercy Chaplet ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm
Cathechism of the Catholic Church vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm

:thumbsup: …Laus Dei. God bless your journey richly…Barb:)

Absolutely, I’ve experienced the problem - not with trusting in Our Lord though. After several deaths in my family and my fear for where they may be, all I hear is to “trust in Our Lord’s Mercy”…Makes me want to scream…I DO trust in Our Lord’s Mercy…It’s human beings I don’t trust so, I don’t know what His final judgement was for them…hence, my apprehensions.

I trust in Our Lord…He’s our God…Who else / better can we trust?

It’s human beings I don’t trust so

…to a certain point very very wise!:smiley: …we are all human faulted and fallible and not at all Total Love and Mercy - oh not at all … far from it…would we were!..Thank God He is!..

I am saddened to hear that you are going through a time of great loss in your family and concerns as to where they may be…I know what it can feel like…May The Lord quickly grant you Peace on this - it is a hard and difficult cross - even a cruel one…

Bought the Diary of St. Faustina today. Any particular best way to read it? Straight through?

Slowly. No more than half an hour everyday. When something catch your mind, or better your soul, stop you there. Close the book for some second, or minute, and meditate. Speak with Jesus or with Mary or with Faustina on that point.
From the first page to the last? In my opinion, yes.
Cheers!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.