How to handwash Catholic style

8 Likes

Shorter Christian Prayer

5 Likes

I made my own sanitizer since the premade is virtually non existent these days😌

1 Like

Payers are so practical. Three Hail Marys are just about right when sweating/soldering cooper pipe.

4 Likes

I can’t tell if this is serious or not :confused: . Do Catholics actually say prayers while washing their hands? Coming from Messianic Judaism, I still wash my hands in the way that is prescribed by the rabbis (3x pouring water over each hand while reciting the traditional blessing). Maybe I should switch to praying this way while washing my hands instead…or incorprate both. Wash my hands this way, then rinse with the traditional Jewish blessing.

2 Likes

Probably a bit of both. Recently saw online how the UK NHS website advises children to wash their hands for 20 seconds or to sing the Happy Birthday song twice over.

The Catholic way would be to pray a Hail Mary, as this when prayed at normal speed takes very close to 20 seconds (just timed myself), so adding a Glory Be prayer after the Hail Mary, would extend the time out o 35-40 seconds as the pic CajunJoy65 posted shows.

4 Likes

Which recipe did you use, if it’s ok to ask?

Thanks for answering :blush::pray: I’ll have to incorporate this practice. I don’t think I’ve been washing my hands as thoroughly as I should be. That looks like a lot of steps in the picture. Normally I just lather front and back and rinse.

1 Like

Which I’m sure is how most people do it. But I learnt this way many years ago due to training for my work. We had to wash our hands and then we were given a squirt of lotion to rub over our hands which when held under uv light showed up a glorious bright pink! These areas showed up which were not properly cleaned - mind you that was also the result if you had dry skin!!

2 Likes

1/4 cup aloe gel
2/3 cup 70% or higher alcohol
Several drops of essential oil ( optional)
I actually put used a bit more alcohol so it is runnier than Purell
but feels nice and silky

1 Like

Really don’t want to be picky, but that formula results in a solution that’s about 50% alcohol. The recommendation is for using a sanitizer that is at least 60% alcohol. It is hard to make with the commonly available 70% denatured alcohol.

Time to buy some Everclear I guess!:grin:

Well, that would work, you sure can’t drink that straight!

3 Likes

My daughter and I were discussing coming up with a COVID19 cocktail that contained Everclear and Aloe Vera juice (not gel) that would be multipurpose. She that said it would have a 3 in 1 use. Pain killer, disinfectant and a colon cleanser! You’d go through all those stockpiles of TP really fast if you did imbibe such a concoction. I said it would probably taste like really nasty medicine as is. A twist of lime perhaps? I wouldn’t advise anyone to take this as a serious suggestion. We were just having an amusing tete a tete.

Hot water is the most important thing, you will be surprised what that kills.

Would you mind terribly posting the traditional blessing?

“Blessed are you, O Lord, our God, King of the Universe, who has sanctified us through your commandments and has commanded us concerning the washing of hands”

Technically I don’t pray that one because God didn’t command us to wash our hands in his Word. Instead, I’ve always said, “Blessed are you, Lord Our God, King of the Universe, who has sanctified us with the living waters and also with His commandments.”

1 Like

Thank you, that’s lovely.

True, but unfortunately it’s not always available in public facilities. My hands are somewhat sensitive to cold, and I don’t like washing my hands in cold water.

D

I am going to the liquor store and buying Everclear. Walmart, the drugstore and supermarkets are sold out of rubbing alcohol here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.