How to have perfect contrition

I tried to go to confession today and it was cancelled. So I drove to another church that had confession and the priest was just finishing up. So I didn’t get a chance to go to confession. How can I receive communion before I get the chance to go again

One should only receive Communion with an act of perfect contrition (as opposed to sacramental absolution) in grave situations, like a priest who, as a matter of course, has to consume the Eucharist in the course of Mass, or if one is dying and there is not a priest, but there is the Eucharist.

Really? I didn’t know that.

Can. 916 A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to celebrate Mass or receive the body of the Lord without previous sacramental confession unless there is a grave reason and there is no opportunity to confess; in this case the person is to remember the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition which includes the resolution of confessing as soon as possible.

Ah drats. There was a healing mass tonight and I wanted to be in the state of grace for it

I can’t tell if it has already happened, but I’ve almost always had luck poking my head into the sacristy and asking Father if he can hear a really quick Confession

That’s hard to do if I want to remain anonymous

We should still strive to make an act of perfect contrition even though ordinarily we aren’t permitted to receive the Eucharist until confession, as it restores us to the state of grace if we have the resolution to confess as soon as possible.

I’ve seen @MCH1 post this in a few places, perhaps it can help: How to Obtain Perfect Contrition

Think of Jesus hanging on the cross. Struggling to breath. Everyone around Him mocking Him. Covered in blood and in agonizing pain. Submerged in mental anguish and humiliation. Know that you have done this to Him, your God, your greatest benefactor. The One who gave you life and keeps you alive. The one who prepared a place for you in eternal bliss. Instead of loving and thanking Him, you crucified and insulted Him.

Fr. Hardon defines perfect contrition in his Catholic Dictionary as:

Sorrow for sin arising from perfect love. In perfect contrition the sinner detests sin more than any other evil, because it offends God, who is supremely good and deserving of all human love. Its motive is founded on God’s own personal goodness and not merely his goodness to the sinner or to humanity. This motive, not the intensity of the act and less still the feelings experienced, is what essentially constitutes perfect sorrow. A perfect love of God, which motivates perfect contrition, does not necessarily exclude attachment to venial sin. Venial sin conflicts with a high degree of perfect love of God, but not with the substance of that love. Moreover, in the act of perfect contrition other motives can coexist with the perfect love required. There can be fear or gratitude, or even lesser motives such as self-respect and self-interest, along with the dominant reason for sorrow, which is love for God.

In case there were any misunderstandings as to the requirements for perfect contrition, since the word “perfect” can be somewhat misleading.

God bless :slight_smile:

Maybe God is prompting you to take this step despite the personal challenge it creates for you. You might consider prayerfully discerning where God is leading you in this moment.

Nothing. You need to confess mortal sins before receiving Holy Communion (unless you’re in danger of death.)

You also can’t do anything yourself to obtain Perfect Contrition. Ultimately, God has to give it to you. It also doesn’t just grow on trees either.

1st john 1:9 . is the scripture that Christian churches teach to be forgiven . that God doesn’t want us to suffer . repentance is not difficult.
But some religions have different rules to gain God’s forgiveness.

Its like the scripture that says. Confess your sins one to another James 5:16
It depends on the commentary you are taught to believe.

If you think you are going to commit a mortal sin a person would think that you need to ask the holy spirit to impower you to not sin.
It is the holy spirits job and ministry to work with you.
Prayer and fasting might be necessary to eliminate a mortal sin routine.
Most of the Christians I know at the prayer groups don’t commit mortal sins and have successful prayer

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.