How to help a friend who's homosexual?

Recently I had a very good friend confide to me that he has been homosexual for much of his life, and that he has engaged in same-sex activity, even recently. He is a good Catholic guy, very strong in his faith; he knows that the homosexual lifestyle is wrong and that he needs to stop, but I’m not sure that he is fully committed to wanting to change. He’s stuck between “I know that this is wrong,” and “But I still enjoy it.” I don’t know what to say or do to help him overcome his temptations. I’m afraid that if I’m too “preachy,” or if I tell him that he really needs to go to Confession, he might just get resentful and not want to listen to me, or not want to change (I think people generally don’t like being told by others that they need Confession). I don’t want to do anything that would backfire and have bad results.

I know that he knows homosexuality is wrong, but I just don’t know what’s the best thing for me to say or do to help him overcome it, and live in a chaste way. What do you recommend?
Thank you, God bless you.

The following links should help answer your question about friendships with homosexuals. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

How should I handle friendship with a homosexual?
What do I do when my best friend is gay?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.