How to I defend the Catholic Bible vs the shorter Protestant versions?

I’ve used the saying “no where in the Bible does it give a list of what books should be in the Bible or not”

But I still have a non-denom girlfriend, who both her and her father (a pastor) who claim the apocrypha contradicts itself.

How do I counter that?

If it did then why would Our Lord and the apostles have quoted it?

Here’s a really good article. 5 Myths about 7 Books

excellent site Church Militant, very helpful. Another site added to my favorites!

Look for a good book on Church history. It’ll help you understand why there are differences in the # of books and, thus, give you some confidence in responding to Protestants re: # of books in the Bible.

Genesis contradicts itself too. (Gen 1 and Gen 2). See what they have to say about that.

A key point to keep hammering is that the Church has never at any time in her history produced a canon of scripture that matched the Protestant canon. Simply insist that they point you to any Church council which sets forth the Protestant canon and then sit back and wait…

I was reading an article from the bible answerman where Hank writes that the so called “apocrypha” shouldn’t be in the bible because they teach ‘praying to the saints’ which is un-biblical.
I know what he is referring to (Necromancy)
but this argument sounded quite silly to me, because if the book of Maccabees was in there canon of scripture, then praying to the saints wouldn’t be unbiblical because it would be in the bible.

I am not aware of that particular argument you mentioned, but 5 myths about 7 books is a good article.

Here are some more articles you can read:
Did the Catholic Church Add to the Old Testament?
How to Defend the Deuterocanonicals
In the Crosshairs of the Canon
The Fathers and the Deuterocanonicals

DEUTEROCANONICAL BOOKS IN THE NEW TESTAMENT

Of the approximately 300 Old Testament quotes in the New Testament, approximately 2/3 of them came from the Septuagint (the Greek translation of the Old Testament) which included the deuterocanonical books that the Protestants later removed.

This is additional evidence that Jesus and the apostles viewed the deuterocanonical books as part of canon of the Old Testament.

Go here for examples:
scripturecatholic.com/deuterocanon.html

The Protestants attempt to defend their rejection of the deuterocanonicals on the ground that the early Jews rejected them.

However, the Jewish councils that rejected them (e.g., School of Javneh (also called “Jamnia” in 90 - 100 A.D.) were the same councils that rejected the entire New Testatment canon.

Thus, Protestants who reject the Catholic Bible are following a Jewish council that rejected Christ and the Revelation of the New Testament.

Ask for specifics. What specific verses do they claim contradict one another?

ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Tm6jayCvL.AA183.jpg

amazon.com/Why-Catholic-Bibles-Are-Bigger/dp/1581880103/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-2465941-6819629?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183943615&sr=8-1

:thumbsup:
O-o-oh! I just read (most of) that book! Lots more detail than I ever imagined. I’m sure a person such as a pastor who has been to a “Bible college” would be able to understand it (and, hopefully would be interested).
I sure would like to send it to all the non-Catholic pastors around here, but don’t know if it would do much good, plus, it’d cost a lot.
I may donate it to the public library and pray many find it who don’t realize they don’t have a complete Bible!

God bless,
Mimi
:wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.