How we implemented a comprehensive abstinance as a choice in our public schools
Comprehensive Health Course #9910 (CH)
- This is a comprehensive abstinence- based human growth and development unit. While abstinence is promoted as the preferred choice, other topics such as the human reproduction system, contraception, options after pregnancy, and confidentiality laws a
Abstinence Only Health Course #9940 (AH)
- This is a comprehensive abstinence program in which all discussion is centered around abstinence as the only accepted healthy choice for teens before marriage. It will focus in depth on character development and the social, emotional, psychological, and physical benefits of practicing abstinence.
How to Implement a Comprehensive Abstinence Unit as a Choice in Your School DistrictAll arguments favor a choice for both students and their parents. There are no logical arguments to prevent parents and students from having a choice of classes that includes a comprehensive abstinence unit in the curriculum at the high school level and often at the middle school level.
Prayer: Bear in mind, the three most important things are pray, pray and pray. There is no hope apart from the grace of God to move hearts and souls. I include all four forms of prayer, known by the acronym, “ A.R.T.S.”, Adoration, Repentance, Thanksgiving, and Supplication. There are other acronyms for the same thing such as doing our “P.A.R.T.”, Petition, Adoration, Repentance, and Thanksgiving.
]A few important steps toward implementation
- One must learn when the next school district’s Human Growth and Development Curriculum Review Committee begins. One must seek to be part of this committee and seek to make changes there. This is where the initial decision is made, as far as implementing a choice in the tenth grade health class or at the middle school level. This committee is required by state law to convene every three years.
- If one can get the committee to recommend to the school board to consider such an option, then the next step is to convince the school board that it is in their best interest to do so.
- Based on experience, it is not likely to convince a school district to exclusively offer an abstinence only unit as a replacement for the school district’s comprehensive sex education unit—which touches on abstinence and in the same breath supports contraception.
Arguments used to justify the passage of providing a comprehensive abstinence only choice
This health education class at the high school level is the only place where the school district provides no choice for parents. In many areas such as; math, social sciences, sciences and English, there are a number of choices for parents and their children, as far as which classes they will take. For social science, examples include; history, geography, sociology and psychology.
There would be no substantial cost increase to offer an alternative class. There is also money available for comprehensive abstinence only curricula through governmental grants. All that is necessary for a school district to offer this choice is for 15-20 students out of roughly 400 students to sign up to take the alternative course. The same teachers could teach either course. There would be no additional personnel costs.
Health education is the only curriculum where the school touches the heart of family, parents and their children in their personal and religious beliefs. This strikes at the heart of parent and family rights. Parents and their children deserve to have a choice in this course.
In order to support a cultural diverse society and in order to support and show concern for families and their children, it is not only fair, but also beneficial to offer an alternative. There is no logical reason to deny an alternative comprehensive abstinence curriculum for children and their families. It would stand against freedom of choice and freedom of religion, if the school board chooses to deny offering this option.
All of Christianity, Judaism, Mormonism, and Islam teach on the basis of their scripture that sex outside of marriage is wrong. Only the religion of Humanism (and perhaps a few others) approve and support sex outside of marriage. So at present, in essence, one religious worldview is being supported over the majority of
Up until the 1930’s all Christian denominations taught that the use of artificial contraception was sinful. The teaching of artificial contraception has been and in some cases, continues to be a direct attack on strongly held religious beliefs. Offering a choice in these circumstances would prevent the alienation of a substantial number of students’ families.
[LEFT]7. To deny this choice would seem to indicate that the intent of government at all levels is to indoctrinate and to
dictate to parents and families. It is ultimately tyrannical in nature. Government education under these circumstances will continue to see families abandon so-called public education, with a continuing decline in students and money.
8. We need to be “progressive”, like the West Allis-West Milwaukee School District.
- Finally, offering this choice will demonstrate the school district’s desire to act in the best interest of all it’s students. “It’s always for the kids”!