How to know what Vocation to choose

It depends on what God calls me for , I am not a catholic yet , I am a Candidate who will be starting RCIA on August 22, I was validly Baptized in the Southern Baptist Church. I believe my vocation is to marriage, But how will I really know I mean , I want to serve God and I can see myself as a priest at times, but then I get filled with fear of all my imperfections and the fact that what if I just feel that way because I am being prideful and want to have power. Is there anything other then Prayer and Retreats that I could do to discern my Vocation.
Peace and all good things.
Taylor

My advice for you, since you are not yet Catholic, is just to relax about it and spend that energy learning about the Church and your new faith, and making Catholic friends. I am a recent convert myself, and in the months before I entered the Church I had many romantic notions about becoming a priest or monk. At times, I think I saw myself becoming some kind of heroic, swashbuckling Jesuit with a crucifix in one hand, a Bible in the other, and a dagger clenched between my teeth, fighting every manner of evil for the glory of God. I'm exaggerating a bit, maybe.

At any rate, I think that one is usually required to wait several years after converting before taking up Holy Orders.

[quote="taylormcbee, post:1, topic:293201"]
It depends on what God calls me for , I am not a catholic yet , I am a Candidate who will be starting RCIA on August 22, I was validly Baptized in the Southern Baptist Church. I believe my vocation is to marriage, But how will I really know I mean , I want to serve God and I can see myself as a priest at times, but then I get filled with fear of all my imperfections and the fact that what if I just feel that way because I am being prideful and want to have power. Is there anything other then Prayer and Retreats that I could do to discern my Vocation.
Taylor

[/quote]

Slow down. Chipeto is right, focus for the moment on your journey into the Church for now. It's not a race! Once you have entered the Church, the Sacraments are invaluable in aiding discernment. But even now, you can just focus on being open to whatever path God may eventually lead you down and deepening your prayer life and knowledge of the faith. And it is also true that for Holy Orders or religious life (don't forget that's a vocation too!) one has to have been received into the Church for usually about two or three years to ensure they have developed fully in their faith.

And just to be really picky, you don't choose a vocation - God chooses it for you!

[quote="taylormcbee, post:1, topic:293201"]
Taylor

[/quote]

Work on Loving God with all your heart mind and soul and you neighbor as yourself. This is your vocation. Don't worry about the other stuff just yet.

Our Vocation is to be saints in heaven :] Choose this one.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.