How to know whether miracles are from the Devil or from God?

How the investigations are done? If miracles could be made by supernatural powers such as God/Devil, how to differ between the origin of both?

ABOVE ALL we can know GOD, the ALMIGHTY FATHER, CREATOR of Heaven and Earth, and all that is visible and invisible because HE alone creates all from nothing, order from chaos [1][2].
We can know Man, Mankind, ourselves, for we cannot make anything, or bring into order
anything from that which is not already made, or in possession of an order already assigned by
GOD.
We can also know evil then because evil can only destroy (bring “Ruin”) [3], and will
only be found working to bring about chaos (the end of everything).

[TERMS, J.M. Thomas, R., 2012, pg. 180]

The simplest and easiest way is to judge them by their fruits. The devil will not perform an action that would cause people to glorify God. He will only do things that would attempt to undermine the gospel and merits of Christ.

Vice versa, God will not perform miracles that would lead people astray from the truth.

Christ said, “You shall know them by their fruits.” I realize this statement was made under another context, but I believe it applies to miracles just the same.

Also, just to throw this in, I think where as God can perform both natural and supernatural miracles, the devil can only attempt to mimic such power by distorting or corrupting nature. Where as God can do all, the devil can only twist.

from 1John 4… Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world……………6 We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit[a] of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

Hmm not sure why you omitted the middle part. I think it is important:

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.
4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 5 They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. 6 We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit[a] of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

I agree with the first part about fruits.

I’ve heard of the latter re the limits on the devil’s power. Is that an official doctrine of the Church? I’ve read of supernatural events that do not glorify God, therefore I suppose they come from the devil, which makes me think the devil is also capable of the apparently supernatural (whether by mimicry or otherwise).

That’s my own thoughts on the subject. Well, probably not my own thoughts, but thoughts based on what I’ve read. Whether it is official doctrine or not, I’m not sure. I have read stuff both from Catholic authors and non-Catholics about the nature of the devil and demons, so I’m unsure what’s Catholic doctrine or not.

I just recently started reading the catechism for many reasons, but one of the top ones is to find out exactly what the church affirms on this.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.