How to love People?

I have respect and understanding as well as a desire for the well-being of any kind of person in the world. However, I’m not quite sure if this qualifies as love. I want to love everyone and to manifest this love to everyone I meet but I’m not sure how.

Kindness, respect, understanding. This is a good start. Don’t overthink it.

I think love is exactly as you have described it.

When Jesus was asked about this, the example he gave was the Parable of the Good Samaritan.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+10%3A25-37&version=NIV

That would be an essential starting point.

We must love people with the love of charity, that is to say, to love them because of God, to love them for the love of God, to love them in God.
When we love people, with the love of charity, we want first to please God, and not necessarily to please people.

I have sometimes thought about love as a kind of ruler, a measure, with say like in small increments leading to love in larger increments to finally one whole adore! So to me like is on the love ruler, if you see what I mean.

We should love God first and them we will be able to love creatures more effectively.

St. Thomas Aquinas’s definition of love: “to love is to will the good of another.”

Jesus - loved Peter - by saying to him " Get thee behind me, Satan " -

Jesus loved King Herod - He had to - by saying
"Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils,
and I do cures - to day and to morrow "

And He must of said - from love - oddly enough -
woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed!
it had been good for that man if he had not been born.

Different people need different types of love -

Thanks seagull

Love is an emotion and can’t be faked imo. I’m saying that liking comes before loving basically, so that’s one way to look at things. It’s easier to find things you can like about people. Also agape is easier than outright love.

I think that if you can come to a realistic idea about yourself it should lead you to feel humble. The idea that after all our fussing and fighting with ourselves, the world and others that actually we are but dust and ashes. Surely viewing people as just like us helps to feel the empathy we need to enable love to grow. Augment this with the knowledge that we are all spirits on a developmental journey and so share familial ties with Our Heavenly Father.

Whilst developing your spiritual side you can see things differently and perhaps the unattractive (in any way) become far easier to like…love.

Remember too - it’s hard to love everyone -
with this is mind -
just try not to purposely hurt someone - their feelings.
Don’t rebuff another - as if they were unworthy of Heaven.
Rebuke - yes. If needs be. Rebuff, no.

When Jesus was told that the Virgin Mary was outside and wanted to talk with him -
He replied - who is my mother and my brothers and sisters -
those - who do " the will " of His Father - Our Father - in Heaven.

Instead of framing it so broadly, “I want to love people”, just concentrate on being kind and nice to individual persons you meet daily. For example, be friendly to the store clerk, be patient with the person who cuts you off in traffic, be kind to your family member who annoys you in some way, try to be extra helpful to your grumpy co-worker. That is how you “love people”.

“People” aren’t some big amorphous mass of everyone in the world. They are the people you interact with every say.

That pretty much sums up what Jesus said in Matthew 25:

"31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. 34 Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? 38 And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? 39 And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?’ 40 And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family,[a] you did it to me.’ 41 Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?’ 45 Then he will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Look at them as if they were Jesus Christ and love them for who they are :heart: :heart: :heart:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.