How to make a good catholic man feel like he is good enough?

My brother in law that is Gay refuses to get the Eucharist every Sunday. He goes every Sunday but still doesn’t receive it. He has a big huge heart and I feel does Gods work on a daily being in social work and showing the love and care for kids that are neglected on a daily. I feel like he is thinks he is not good enough or falls short of the catholic teaching. I called him out on it but he asked if he is wrong for not getting it…does that make he worst of a person to not receive it. I understand the importance of the Eucharist but how can I make a good man feel like he is good enough. I know it’s a tough topic. Thanks in advance.

First, you don’t really know his state of grace or lack there of so it’s completely out of line for you to say he should receive. Second, Catholics only HAVE to receive once a year he’s free to do as he wishes.

Got it :+1:t4:Thank you :blush: :pray:t3:

It’s between him, God and his confessor. You can offer to discuss stuff with him, but if he indicates he doesn’t want to get into it, I’d leave it alone. If you want to be kind/supportive, just tell him how much you admire the social work/charitable stuff he does.

Nicely said … thanks :raised_hands:t3::pray:t3:

He needs to go to Confession and take this up with a Priest who is the only one who can guide him in this.

Well simply being attracted to the same sex is not sinful, if one is actively acting on it then yes. I think he should talk this over with someone.

@Alma26 , none of us are good enough .

When the scribes who were Pharisees saw Jesus eating with these people, they asked His disciples, “Why does He eat with tax collectors and sinners?”On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” (Mark 2:16-17)

We are all the sick , the sinners .

That’s why before we receive the Eucharist we all say , “Lord , I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof .”

You should trust his decision. You don’t know his state of grace. I would stop pressuring him to receive.

Gently let him know that he can freely receive if he’s in a state of grace and that God won’t condemn him.

Also in general just compliment him on his good work. Would also say stuff like how he inspires you to do xyz and that he shows you God’s love when he does xyz.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.