How to make Catholic Friends?

I am a recent covert as of Easter Vigil 2008, and I have no Catholic friends. My wife and her family are Catholic, but that is it. I have lost a few friends over this because they are extremely liberal and we just cannot agree, and they did not agree with my decision. But I was wondering how others were able to connect or make Catholic friends. It seems that majority of my peers at 31 years old, have no interest in God or the Catholic Church. I am trying to focus my life as a new father and member of the church, and want to surround myself with like minded and people that have moral values. God Bless.

I would think you would be able to meet other Catholic people through your church unless you live in area with a very high Catholic population.

From my own experience... growing up as a Catholic where just about my entire county was Italian/Irish Catholic. You didn't even think about religion because you just assumed the other person was Catholic like you. I remember being surprised a couple times finding out someone I was friends with wasn't the same religion because it was that uncommon to meet someone who wasn't Catholic. Regardless....one's religion never affected my friendships.

Sometimes it depends on the area you live in. Certain areas of the country have high/low Catholic populations.

We go to a great Catholic Church, but how does one meet someone at church?

[quote="mkipp, post:3, topic:182210"]
We go to a great Catholic Church, but how does one meet someone at church?

[/quote]

Hi, there.

Meeting others while at Mass, mind you, is probably inappropriate, of course, since attention should be given to God.

Often parishes have after-Mass get-togethers, such as cook-outs and the like. Likewise there are often events during the week that you should be able to join. Check your parish bulletin and set your schedule for any events.

Your diocese's may also track other parish or diocesan events you can attend.

There are also other non-parish groups to consider, such as the Knights of Columbus.

I agree, just show up at the gatherings. A year from now you’ll find yourself involved with the Church and plenty of friends. Although there needs to be a word of caution; keep the Lord Jesus Christ the foundation on which you stand because there are a lot of opinions among us.

Participate at your parish!!! Also keep intouch with your RICA classmates and the RCIA team at your parish. I’m not sure about at your parish, but at mine (my fiance is currently attending classes, I’m sponsoring) there’s an instructor whom I consider a living saint. Seriously, I’m literally not sure if on the day of his death whether I should pray for, or to him!!

With regard to participation, one of the easiest ways is to become a CCD instructor when the oppertunity comes. Not only will you get to know other CCD teachers, but you’ll also learn more about the faith than you can shake a stick at. Also does your parish run a bible study? At mine we have a bible study based on the CSS program, which was started by Converts so I’m told the format should be somewhat familiar to many (former) Protestants.

What other ministires are available at your Church? We have a young adult ministry which I’ve been active in for over a year now, I started bringing my fiance with me when we first started dating. It’s a great way to make new close freinds!

God bless!

I was thinking of inquiring and or joining the Knights of Columbus, but I am not sure exactly what they are all about. Our Priest suggested that I get involved with the Knights of Columbus.

It’s a terrific organisation founded here in the States, truely they have a great place in the Church. Here’s their website kofc.org/eb/en//index.html

[quote="mkipp, post:7, topic:182210"]
I was thinking of inquiring and or joining the Knights of Columbus, but I am not sure exactly what they are all about. Our Priest suggested that I get involved with the Knights of Columbus.

[/quote]

Do it! ;)

The KofC does a lot of great things. They are very service-oriented. Each chapter probably is a bit different in the particular activities they do, but they do a lot of volunteer work and raise a lot of money which they give to other worthy Catholic causes. Check out their website: kofc.org. It's definitely a great way to make Catholic friends!

[quote="mkipp, post:7, topic:182210"]

[/quote]

Yes -- Get involved with your parish activities, and the Knights of Columbus is a good one.
Come and join the Catholic Answers [group=16]Knights of Columbus[/group] Group too. ;)

tee

Yep, join up! Knights is a good idea, find your Parish pro-life group (or local chapter of Right to Life) - most of my best friends I met in the pro life world. Volunteer to help with CCD.

I would like to attend a bible study group, but I don’t think that my Parish has. I still feel like an outsider, as I have only been Catholic about a year.

[quote="mkipp, post:12, topic:182210"]
I would like to attend a bible study group, but I don’t think that my Parish has. I still feel like an outsider, as I have only been Catholic about a year.

[/quote]

You should approch your Parish about starting one, if it was me I would even offer to run it my self if they didn't have any intersted staff members. The CSS program is terrific.

[quote="mkipp, post:12, topic:182210"]

[/quote]

Have you picked up a bulletin at Church? Sometimes they are called by strange names "The St Paul Circle" "The Wiser Bunch" so, call the office and ask what those groups in the bulletin DO.

Use Masstimes.org to find neighboring parishes, check out their websites.

Call the Diocese.

I check out the bulletin, but never see any sort of Bible Study groups meeting. There is a Catholic Mens Club, but no idea what that is about.

They may be called “Adult Faith Formation” or “Adult Education” or “Whole Family Catechesis…” - the office lady will let you know what is a Bible Study.

Just my :twocents: as a life-long female Catholic…

At some times in one’s life, in some parishes, it is harder to make friends than at others.

What I have learned is that you sometimes have to be open to making friends with the people you encounter just because they are Catholic, even if you would not otherwise seek out such people. By that, I mean you may not always have common personal, social, political, economic, athletic, etc, interests. At least not at first. And these new friends may be in a different stage of life. But that’s usually how it is when you start a new job.

Joining a group like the Knights of Columbus is a great idea. Even if it turns out that it isn’t for you, you will get to know a number of the men in the parish and you will learn about some of the other opportunities for involvement at your parish.

It sounds like you might be interested in bible study? Chances are that if your parish does not have one, a neighboring parish will. And chances are there will be members of your parish who are there too. If there are enough of you, perhaps you can START a bible study at your own parish.

[quote="SMHW, post:17, topic:182210"]
Just my :twocents: as a life-long female Catholic...

At some times in one's life, in some parishes, it is harder to make friends than at others.

What I have learned is that you sometimes have to be open to making friends with the people you encounter just because they are Catholic, even if you would not otherwise seek out such people. By that, I mean you may not always have common personal, social, political, economic, athletic, etc, interests. At least not at first. And these new friends may be in a different stage of life. But that's usually how it is when you start a new job.

Joining a group like the Knights of Columbus is a great idea. Even if it turns out that it isn't for you, you will get to know a number of the men in the parish and you will learn about some of the other opportunities for involvement at your parish.

It sounds like you might be interested in bible study? Chances are that if your parish does not have one, a neighboring parish will. And chances are there will be members of your parish who are there too. If there are enough of you, perhaps you can START a bible study at your own parish.

[/quote]

With the Ignatius Study Bible series, it is easy to start a solid Catholic Bible Study!

Do they have a suggestion box? fill one out and recommend a bible study class, inquire about the group that prays the rosary outside local abortion clinics...there is usually plenty groups to get involved with. And of course, the Knights of Columbus.

[quote="mkipp, post:1, topic:182210"]
I am a recent covert as of Easter Vigil 2008, and I have no Catholic friends. My wife and her family are Catholic, but that is it. I have lost a few friends over this because they are extremely liberal and we just cannot agree, and they did not agree with my decision. But I was wondering how others were able to connect or make Catholic friends. It seems that majority of my peers at 31 years old, have no interest in God or the Catholic Church. I am trying to focus my life as a new father and member of the church, and want to surround myself with like minded and people that have moral values. God Bless.

[/quote]

Hi! Happy to hear of your conversion!

I'm 32 and can understand... there aren't very many of us 30 something Catholics out there- or so it seems. I think the truth is we have families, jobs and spouses to take care of.. which makes it harder to find the time to make new friends and also to be a participating active catholic in our parishes.

One great way to fortify your faith and make Catholic friends is to go to everyday to Mass. I know that in some parishes, this sadly is not available. And I know with careers, it is not always possible to be there. If this is the case you can check out the website Mass Times- they may be a Mass that is available to you at a time when you can go.

I know with me, in time, this was how I was able to meet and get to know Catholic people and become friends with them. Mind you, I didn't go to daily Mass with the sole purpose to make friends- and I don't want to seem like I am suggesting you use daily Mass as a means to make friends. It just sort of happened that over time I became familiar with the people there and they with me, and so it just happened over time we conversed and became friends. I also knew that since they took the time to be there that they were sincere in their faith which was a value I prayed to find in a friend. Sadly though, I do not have any Catholic friends who are in my age group and I still long for that, but I'm glad to have what I have!

Another thing too that I did was go try different groups... even if it sounded like something I would not enjoy, I went just go give it a try anyway. Another thing to do is go on "field trips" to other parishes and cathedrals, shrines etc. If your parish does not have anything available, these places may have something you are interested in!

Also, as always first and foremost, pray about it!

St. Raphael, pray for us!

May God Bless you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.