How to make Yankee Pot Roast

Hi all! I’m trying to find a quick, easy - and tasty - recipe for Yankee Pot Roast. The ones I find online are a bit too complicated for me - yea, I’m not much of a cook. Anyway, I’m looking for one that has as its ingredients, carrots, celery, gravy, and of course, beef! And oh, did I mention, simple? Haha!

Thanks a bunch in advance!

REAL Yankee post roast in a Crock pot.

Combine all ingredients and cook on low for 8 hours:

1 Can of French Onion soup
Several potatoes cut into chunk sizes you like
Peas
1 very large and tender Yankee

yummy.

Do you want it to be carved or the fall apart in chunks type?

Carved, I think, but I’d like it to be really tender, though.

First, catch a Yankee… :stuck_out_tongue:

:wink: Lots of luck finding a tender Yankee. The ones I know are all :eek: meaner than pussley.

Not sure what makes a pot roast “Yankee Pot Roast” but a good way to make fork-tender pot roast is to trim the fat from the roast, dredge it in a bit of flour, heat a small amount of oil in the bottom of a pressure cooker on medium high heat, brown the roast on all sides, adding salt & pepper and herbs such as thyme and oregano, Then add some chopped onion, carrots, and celery and enough water to cover. Add a couple of bay leaves. Follow your manufacturer’s instructions for your pressure cooker, and it will be done in almost no time.

I can do the fork tender, falling apart chunk kind - but, carved is a whole nother story. Leave that to the yankees :slight_smile:

Here it is in 20 steps…let me know if I missed something.

1. Buy a boneless chuck roast (choice grade) about 5-7 pounds…it will shrink a lot so try for 7 pounds.
  2. Trim extra fat from the roast.
  3. Heat oven to 325 degrees.
  4. Heat 1 Tsp. oil in a large dutch oven over med/high flame on stovetop.
  5. Start your exhaust fan.
  6. Brown roast on all sides (get a good dark brown color).
  7. Put roast on a plate.
  8. Add 2 cups of sliced onions, 1 cup of diced celery, and 1 or 2 cups of large chunks of carrots to the pan. Add 1/2 tsp of salt and about a 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
  9. Saute over medium heat until onions are soft. Add 2 minced garlic cloves and a healthy pinch of dried thyme and stir for 1 minute.
  10. Add 1/4 cup of flour and stir until mixed well with vegetables
  11. Add 2 cups of dry red wine and bring to boil. Simmer for a few minutes.
  12. Add chunk o’ meat back in. Add 2 cans of low sodium chicken broth (not beef) and some water (if needed) enough to cover the roast (mostly).
  13. Bring to boil.
  14. Put on lid and put whole pot into oven.
  15. Cook about 2 1/2 - 3 hours and meat should be fall apart tender.
  16. Put meat on platter to cool/rest slightly.
  17. Put carrots around platter.
  18. Slice meat in thick chunks/slices
  19. Serve gravy on the side along with boiled potatoes.
  20. Drink a good quality ($8+) Cabernet or Merlot (if it’s not cloying) or my favorite with this, a young full-bodied Cote du Rhone.

Whatever recipe you choose - always use a chuck roast - they have that wonderful fall apart quality when done that just can’t be compared to any other cut of beef for a pot roast.

Ok now - this one and the crock pot thread and really doing me in!!! Must make a roast this weekend. Mmmmmm!!!

~Liza

A bag roast is the way to go. pearl onions, carrots, potatoes, half a bottle of red wine:o , mushrooms. Just had one the other night. Yum.

I always make my pot roasts in the crock pot. With potatoes, carrots, onions chopped up in the bottom, then the roast, then a bit of red wine. My dc like it best with a can of condensed tomato soup added in for a thicker gravy (rather than a jous).

Personally I leave the fat on and if it is really lean, add some suet to the pan. I use of of those dark oval roasting pans, put the roast in the pan after searing on all sideds. Put in my potatoes, carrots, onions and about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water, salt and pepper. Cover with lid. Roast in a 300 degree oven for about 2.5 hours. Take out all meat and vegies and put in serving dishes, put in warm oven. Make gravy from the drippings by mixing some flour and water to make a paste and gradually mixing into the dripping in the pan, usually alot. The suet/fat should have almost completly melted but if not remove it before making gravy. Thicken to desired consistency. Enjoy. This stuff will just fall apart it is so tender. Yummy. :thumbsup:

Thanks all for your suggestions! I guess my next question is that I don’t have a crock pot. Where should I go about getting one? And what kind should I get? Thanks!

Do you live near a store such as Sears, Target, K-Mart (even Wal-Mart)? They carry them. There are various brands. I use a Rival. Get one that has a removable pot (the part you actually cook in). It makes it so much easier to clean.

Heh, the only pot/pan I own is a sauté pan for sausages and eggs. Guess I’ll be paying a trip to Target!

Woohoo! Just placed an order for a crock pot at Target online. Should get here soon. Friend of mine is sending me her recipe.

Look ma, I can cook!

Question from a former Yankee…

Why do you guys cut your carrots and potatoes? Just peel them and let them roast longer with the meat… soaks in the flavor! Or if you are lazy like me, use baby carrots… just throw them in! Doesn’t anybody do cooked cabbage and onions with it too?

I love dutch ovens! I have three.

Here’s my favorite recipe. I don’t know if it’s a Yankee Pot Roast, but it’s tasty. I hope you’ll try it.

I always get a shoulder roast for its falling apart quality. I didn’t know a chuck roast would do that (or are they the same thing?)

Anyway -

Layer in crock pot …

potatoes
carrots
onions
beef

Mix together two cans of cream of mushroom soup and two envelopes dry lipton onion soup mix. Pour over all. Cook all day on low!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.