How to not let Roman Catholicism criticism affect you?

Hi. i live in a country where the main religion is eastern orthodoxy. The orthodox people i encounter tell me the same thing, that the orthodoxy is the only right religion and Catholicism is evil". Everything about their dogma and interpretation made me hate them so much. I want to get rid of this hate i have for them. It makes me think in an ugly way , and i want to do something to accept them despite the fact that they don’t accept me. I hope you guys can help me!:grin:

Pretend you are an early Christian disciple in Jerusalem or Rome, where people made fun of your religion all day. Be like one of the apostles or early martyrs would be - just pray for the person and let it go.
Tell them you hope they will pray for you then and you will pray for them.

well that is actually a great idea. Thank you!

I would ask them what they think the big differences are in terms of belief system? They may not know that besides the Filioque and the head see there is nothing much. So we actually have so much in common with the EO!

I think of the ultimate criticism: those who put Christ on the cross. If He could go through that, I’m I can go through a bit of this or that.

Don’t forget to pray for those who persecute you, and that you probably frequently pray for God to forgive you as you forgive others.

I don’t think I can help you, but I do admire your Christian attitude in wanting to rid your heart of hate

It should affect you… it affects me. The Church needs to change… corruption, clericalism, perversion and cronyism has ruled for far too long. We are the Church and we need to change it

hate is an emotion we must deal with and remove in our Christian lives.

The fact you want to do something is wonderful … Just love them and allow God, His love and Mercy, to shine through you when you interact.

To hate is a wasted emotion. it is not productive, it is negative.

Be real, no falseness, no pretence. Just be you. There is no point in getting in to arguments and discussions about who has the right religion and who has the wrong religion. It is better to concentrate on the common themes of both religions.

for example Christianity , regardless of religion, is Christocentric. Christ is at the centre of every religion that is Christian. His life, death and Resurrection, who He was and what He represented
The Salvation Christ brought is central.

What country are you in. Is it Orthodox or Eastern religion. There is a difference.

Thanks for your answer. I live in Romania, and i am an catholic convert. The problem is that orthodox people keep telling everyone that orthodoxy is the only right religion, and it’s hard to keep quiet.

why do you have to get into conversations with them about it

they start the conversation every time, even though most of them don’t know that i am catholic. They attack Catholicism itself. What should i do when they start a conversation about this?

just be nice and say you will pray for them . are you an adult yet

yes. i am 20 years old. Thank you for your help!:slight_smile:

I have a similar problem. Only in my case the people are Protestant. Usually when they talk about the Catholic Church for the most part, they really don’t know what they are talking about
I my case when I was a child I was jumped by a bigger kid. He said that I should say that the Baptist religion is the true religion. He was stronger than me and he sat on my chest. I had trouble breathing and I thought for sure that I was going to die. I have been called bad names. Rocks have been thrown at me. Adults used to point at me as the example of what not to be. There was another incident in which there was another credible threat of death. My main hope is that I be a faithful witness to the Gospel.
If these people know that you are Catholic it could be that they are trying to provoke you. IT is hard sometimes not to feel resentful and bad but whenever I have been cursed by those people I have always said, “May God’s blessing be upon you.” Also you could ask them to pray for you. If they so as you ask then you have induced them to pray and if they pray for you then you have the benefit of God’s blessing.

well, i m sorry to hear that. I hope everything is ok for you now. Sometimes is hard to keep calm, but i think we should all try a little bit harder to accept other confessions despite the fact that protestants and Orthodox people may not accept us. We should try to be different from them and promote love, and stop the hate they started.

Tell them that there is no “right religion.” We believe in the same Jesus and are all God’s children regardless of the name of the (church) building we worship in.

If they wish to argue the matter further, tell them that Jesus doesn’t wish us to argue with one another but to spread the gospel throughout the world. Wish them the peace of Christ, ask them to pray for you and let them know you will pray for them too.

That’s not true. Jesus founded one Church that he wants to be united.

View those persecutions as pearls of opportunity.

We are loved by our Father so much that not only has He guaranteed our salvation should we choose it, He has also given us blessings and grace to turn persecution into an opportunity to praise Him further and cooperate in His will to turn all things to His good.

Every persecution is an opportunity to pray for the conversion and salvation of another. It is also an opportunity to unite your suffering to Christ’s on the cross, which is the suffering that saves the world.

I do NOT always remember this and it is hard for me to keep my mouth shut…for sure, so I understand that it’s hard advice to take at times. Still, hope it helps.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. Mathew 5:43-48

Yes, Jesus founded one Church that He wants to be united. Religion is an entirely different thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.