How to pray to the Saints

Please excuse my ignorance, but is there a certain way to pray to the Saints? I’m 5 months pregnant today, and I’m high risk (umbilical cord at the edge of the placenta, clotting factors, MTHFR gene). In addition, I’ve been having non-stop morning sickness that lasts all day and all night, so I’ve lost 20 pounds already. I read in another post about praying to St. Philomena, but I wanted to know if there is something special I must do to pray. This baby is our first, and we’ve been married over 15 years - so we’ve been open to life ever since we got married. Anyway, thank you for your guidance and please if you have time, please pray for our unborn son.

Thank you and may God bless you all.

Dear Jesus, please let this wonderful woman have this baby, healthy and full term, please, dear Jesus…I don’t know the saint for this, I’m sorry, but I will be praying for you …God Bless you…I know it’s hard to be positive when you are sick but keep positive and pray to Jesus, and keep in frequent contact with your obgyn…and I’m sure your MD is high risk…right?

My dear friend

Check this website catholic.org/saints/patron.php?letter=P and scroll down to pregnant women for a choice of patrons. I think praying to the Holy Family can help too. It’s good to pray to saints and especially our patrons or the patrons of certain causes. Just pray like you are talking to your brothers or sisters with saints and asking them to pray to God for you. They behold God and are closer to Him and holier and their prayers more powerful and that’s why we ask their prayers. Just be at ease and don’t fret or worry too. I’ll pray for you all.

God bless you:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

There is no particular way to pray to a saint, but remember that you are asking for their intercession, not asking them to act of their own power, because they haven’t any – it all comes from God.

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection,
implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired with this confidence, I fly to you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother;
to you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in your mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Oh thank you so much! I have tears in my eyes as I read your prayers. It seems so much to me.

Yes, I’m seeing my OB every week and my perinatologist once a month. But when it gets closer to my due date, my peri wants to see me at least 3 times a week and put some sort of belt on me to monitor the baby.

Again, thank you all for your kindness. May God bless you and keep you. :gopray2:

Hi “petesgottheseat” First of all… I have to say I LOVE your CAF ID! So clever! :slight_smile:

I found this prayer, to St. Gerard Majella… who is the Patron Saint of expectant mothers. I will also keep you in my prayers, that you have a normal pregnancy and delivery. God bless you and your precious unborn child.

“Prayer to St Gerard Majella for Expectant Mothers”

Saint Gerard, we honour you as the patron of expectant mothers because of the miracle granted through your prayers for a woman in labour.
Through your intercession, protect all expectant mothers who the Lord has entrusted with tiny, infant souls.
Bless them with health and fill them with love for the lives they carry.
Give them the courage to overcome the pain of childbirth, the strength to heal from it and a constant faith to rear their children in the spirit of Christ. Amen.

My prayers that your high risk pregnancy be without further discomforts, that you gain weight and that your baby be born happy and healthy! Amen.

If you want a free medal of St. Gerard Majella then go to this site

saintgerard.com/medal.html

I can personally vouch to having received a free medal from them rather quickly.

You can also get in touch with the National Shrine of St. Gerard in Newark, NJ and you can ask for a St. Gerard medal, handkerchief, prayer card or novena book at the number for the rectory. Rectory: (973) 482-6663

saintlucy.net/saintgerard.htm

I have been to the shrine and it is absolutely beautiful. When I went to the shrine I saw a bulletin board they had put up with pictures of hundreds of beautiful babies that I am sure were born through the intercession of this wonderful saint.

God’s blessing for your safe delivery of your precious baby.

P.S: Here’s a picture that I took when at the shrine of St. Gerard

MarieVeronica - Thank you! I saw a show on EWTN and the speaker said something about Catholics needing to come up with a catchy slogan, and this is what he said.

DeusVeritas - Beautiful pictures! Thanks for posting! And thank you for the info. I will definitely phone them and ask about the medal.

To everyone else - Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your prayers!

Here is another prayer for you to say.

Father we thank you for your marvellous gift;
you have allowed us to share in your divine parenthood.
During this time of waiting,
we ask you to protect and nurture
these first mysterious stirrings of life.
May our child come safely into the light of the world
and to the new birth of baptism.

Mother of God,
we entrust our child to your loving heart.
Amen.

[from The Pope’s Family Prayer Book]

You are in my prayers!

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.