How to Pray

**I consider myself a prayer warrior in the sense that I pray a lot, in different ways and for everyone I can think of [even people I pass by on the streets while driving]. I also have a LIVE online Perpetual Adoration ‘window’ open on my computer while I am at it.

I enjoy praying, meditating, reflecting, pondering, talking to God, and just plain gazing at Him in the Blessed Sacrament at the Perpetual Adoration Chapel. :signofcross:

I also am always looking for new ways to pray, with music [especially Gregorian chants!] with emails, and with short online spiritual retreats. For some links to these, read:**

examiner.com/x-9052-Orlando-Roman-Catholic-Examiner~y2009m9d6-How-to-pray

I am curious to know what are your top 3 favorite ways to pray.

Pax Christi.

God gave me the gift of writing. So I pray by spiritual diary. I write letters to saints, and to God. and I just write about how God makes me feel.

-Jeanne

Lectio divina is an ancient practice.

Yes, I love lectio divina! I even wrote a story online. If you want to read it, let me know your opinion by leaving a comment if you want.

examiner.com/x-9052-Orlando-Roman-Catholic-Examiner~y2009m8d14-What-is-Lectio-Divina

What a neat thing to do! I never thought of writing letters to saints! Maybe I should try that! Maybe I should also try writing to God…I’m not sure I would know how to put into words my ‘chats’ with Him, though…:blush:

I’m just a word person. That’s how I express myself. I have trouble focusing on prayers like the rosary, so I write. and I think that’s how God likes to hear from me, because He keeps guiding me in writing some good stuff. Check out my the link to my blog in my signature. I post some of my spiritual work there. Some is personal, but I think God wants me to share some. You can also read my letter to St. Therese.

-Jeanne

My dear friend

My 3 favourite ways are-

1. When I find it enjoyable.
  2. When it’s fairly enjoyable.
  3. When it’s a bit enjoyable.

This is normal and natural.

My goal is to pray just as much and as well when I feel least like doing it.

My favourite prayers are

Holy Mass
Eucharistic Adoration
the Holy Rosary

Sometimes prayer comes easy, sometimes not. But I try and pray without ceasing by doing Gods will and keeping the presence of God. This enables mee to pray 24/7.

I’m not very good at many things bu in the sevice of the Lord I seem to have some use.

God bless you dear friend:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

My favorite prayers:

Petition
Thanksgiving
Meditation

Adoration
the Rosary
Thanksgiving

Hmm, my favorite prayers are

1. The Rosary
  2. The Morning Offering, which I have many versions in my smartphone so that it never gets boring, and which pray every morning upon waking up :thumbsup:
  3. The Little Meditations on the Mysteries of the Holy Rosary, which by the grace of God I discovered.

:extrahappy:

OK, I did go read your excellent lectio article and left a comment. :thumbsup:

What a beautiful and thoughtful post,

the way I was taught to pray was to understand that the purpose of prayer is not to change God, but to change ourselves. It is in experiencing the awareness of

that God is a loving Father;
that God is the source of all good;
that man gets what he expects, and
that man can expect good things.

I was taught that the literal meaning of prayer from the root word in Aramaic was to “set a trap”. It had something to do with hunting. They would set up a trap and catch prey.
So when we pray we are literally setting our minds up like a trap to catch the thoughts of God; that is, to trap His inner guidance and impulses understanding the whole time that God is our very breath, our very heart beat, and our very life.

I have found this insight into prayer to help in ways I cannot even begin to explain. It is truly a marvelous way to pray and I thank God with every breath that I was taught this at a young age it has helped me through so much and this is the way I strive to pray all the time.

I also write. I am a word-a-holic, so I putmy prayers into typed words. I pray when I come to this website. It helps me focus and think about God…Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from every evil. Amen.

Couldn’t have said it better myself! :thumbsup:

Very kind of you. Thank you! :slight_smile:
I’m glad that you liked it. I think that many are not aware that Catholics have a tradition of reading the Bible and interpreting personally [which does not contradict the fact that we are guided by the Magisterium], nor that we have a tradition of reflection, meditation, chanting, etc. and seek these spiritual exercises within other traditions.

My goal is to present them again. So that we can practice spirituality without giving up on Christianity…:wink:

WOW! Beautiful! :thumbsup:

I really liked the image of ‘hunting’ or ‘setting a trap’ for blessings or gifts or answers from God! I’ll try to visualize this as I pray…Thanks!

I am humbled that you and mary1173 liked this insight.
Just watch out for the “bad” hunting day/days when you can not seem to catch anything.:smiley:

It takes alot of trust in knowing that God has His reasons and learning to trust Him to get through those “bad” hunting day/days.

i always mediate on God’s words… i try to read the bible and the gospels as much as i can

closed #19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.