How to prepare for confession?

Next week i will have my first confession. 30 years it will be a lot of confessing to do. I’m really scared. How should i prepare for it? What should i expect? I’m afraid i will loose myself, forget things or even cry? I’m really scared that i will start crying.

You are scared of not crying? Regret for sins doesn’t have to manifest in tears.It’s okay if you do cry.
Any priest will know that you are nervous but also very brave to come to Confession after so long. Tell him how long and I’m sure he will help you through it.
Warm regards, and God bless you!
I’ll pray for you. I tend to ask the Holy Spirit to bring to mind anything that needs to be confessed.

I’m sorry I gues i expressed myself wrongly. I am scared that i will cry and loose myself. I’m scared that this will make me forget things or that i will not be able to continue. I will be in shame if i start to cry.

Jesus,our Lords peace be whit You.
You don’t need to prepare moore then pray that God will give You a open heart and mind to confess what is to be told. You don’t have to recall all “bad” things from 30 years of a life,just tell those things that make You feel bad to have done,those are the ones who You need to tell. I will be whit in my prayers,and don’t be afraid of crying nor the priest. Just be Yourself and all will be fine.
Blessings,
Totterman

Yes I realized that on a re-read. It’s okay if you cry, Cristy. I found a good guide for a good Confession, but I don’t know whether it would confuse you more with so much to think about. If you do ‘lose yourself’ the priest will help you.
You’re a wonderful person to accept the grace to go to Confession when you do feel scared and worried. You’ll do well, and you’ll feel so happy afterwards, so light-hearted!

It’s not a sin to honestly forget things when you’re very nervous. You can only do your best at the time, and God knows that. God knows you so well, Love, you don’t need to worry.

What happens to Catholics if they forget to confess a sin?

Sins inadvertently forgotten after a careful examination of conscience are included in the absolution.

answers.encyclopedia.com/question/happens-catholics-if-they-forget-confess-sin-136171.html

Question: Is a Confession worthy if, without our fault, we forget to confess a mortal sin?
Answer: If without our fault we forget to confess a mortal sin, our Confession is worthy, and the sin is forgiven; but it must be told in Confession if it again comes to our mind.

catholicism.about.com/od/baltimorecatechism/f/Question_215_BC.htm

God bless you, and welcome back to this wonderful Sacrament! :slight_smile:

Hy Trishie, thank you so much for the replies. I’m 31 years old. I am not coming back. It’s the first one :slight_smile:

That’s wonderful, Cristy! We are blessed to have you as a new Catholic.:slight_smile:
Were you already a baptised Christian?

“This…is what I pray before the Father from whom every family, whether spiritual or natural, takes its name: Out of His infinite glory, may He give you the power through His Spirit for your hidden self to grow strong, so that Christ may live in your heart(s) through faith, and then, planted in love and built on love, you will with all the saints have strength to grasp the breadth and the length, the height and the depth; until, knowing the love of Christ, which is beyond all knowledge, you are filled with the utter fullness of God.

Glory be to Him whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine; glory be to Him from generation to generation in the Church and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever. Amen.” [Ephesians 3: 14-21]

How to prepare? Pray. Find an examination of conscience - you can google and find a bunch. Pray. Make a list. You can take a list in with you, especially if you are afraid and might just forget everything.

What to expect? Expect that the priest will be helpful. I am always met with kindness and encouragement in the confessional.

You will probably feel a lot better when you are finished.

Nervousness is normal. I still get nervous before I go.

Pray. Ask the Blessed Mother to help you grow closer to her Son. Pray for your confessor. I will say a prayer for you, too.

You’ll be fine!

Welcome!

Thank you so much for the nice words and advices.

Thank you. Yes, I was already a baptised Christian.

Yeah, as others have suggested, a list is a good idea. You can even bring a pencil with you and check them off one by one as you confess them, so you don’t lose track. Don’t worry, the priest will understand :wink:

God Bless you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.