How to prove we can go straight to heaven?

I was wondering I know that one goes to heaven, hell or purgatory. But, I was talking to a 7th-day adventist about this and he brought up “the dead sleep and know nothing” and he said that there are numerous scriptures littered throughout the bible suppourting the idea that the dead sleep. This leaves me confused as 'ell. What am I to think of this? and what am I supposed to tell this gentleman?Thank you (in advance) and God bless.

your ever grateful “Cradle Catholic”,
Montie

Monte,

I’m sure that others will have verses for you, but what comes to mind is the passage in Revelation 4:11. It mentions the elders praising God, saying "“Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and glory and blessing!” In verse 14, these elders “fell down and worshiped.” Those are hardly the actions of sleepers.

Also, look at the Transfiguration. Jesus is talking to Moses and Elijah, and they aren’t snooozing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.