How To Rebuttal: "RCC is satan's church"?

Looking for pointers and suggestions on how to convince a Christian man (and by most accounts, a moral and decent individual) that the Catholic church is not “Satan’s church”.

And before anyone tells me that it’s a lost cause and not to even bother, I just want to say that I don’t like to see this type of misconceptions about our faith go unanswered. Christ prayed for unitity among His followers. By attempting to clear up misunderstandings when ever we encounter them, we can help bring about some of that unitity.

Can he be more specific? On what exactly is he basing this belief?

When he tells you the answer to that, you can begin to refute his claim.

How to counter a bald assertion:

Assertion: “The RCC is Satan’s church.”

Reply: “No, it isn’t.”

– Mark L. Chance.

catholic.com/library/Whore_of_Babylon.asp

catholic.com/library/Hunting_the_Whore_of_Babylon.asp

catholic.com/library/The_Antichrist.asp

There’s a lot more out there, too.

[quote=Sir Knight]Looking for pointers and suggestions on how to convince a Christian man (and by most accounts, a moral and decent individual) that the Catholic church is not “Satan’s church”.

And before anyone tells me that it’s a lost cause and not to even bother, I just want to say that I don’t like to see this type of misconceptions about our faith go unanswered. Christ prayed for unitity among His followers. By attempting to clear up misunderstandings when ever we encounter them, we can help bring about some of that unitity.
[/quote]

Dear Sir Knight:

I have been running into these sorts of accusations recently. A friend of mine at my former protestant church left a copy of Dave Hunt’s book entitled “The Woman Rides a Beast,” at my door. The book accuses the Catholic Church of being the Whore of Babylon spoken of in the Book of Revelation.

I returned the book with a note, saying that I had already read the book. I also pointed out that just as Jesus was accused of doing the devil’s work, so too did He promise us that members of His true household would also be accused in the same manner.

In the Gospel of Matthew 10:25, Jesus says, “If they have called the Master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call the members of His household.”

Thus, when I hear people accuse the Catholic Church of being Satan’s Church, it only serves to confirm for me that Jesus’s prophecy is true, and it reinforces for me that as a Catholic, I truly am a member of Jesus’s true Church.

Peace be with you,
Fiat

And actually, because it is HIS assertation, it is his responsibility to provide evidence for HIS position.

In this debate, the proof providing falls on his shoulders- not yours.

Once he offers a bit of proof, you can refute it directly.

Unless you can get some order to this debate early- your efforts may be for not.

May God go with you.

Sir Knight:

Ask your friend where the Bible came from?

Hint: The Catholic Church

Remember where Jesus says, “A House divided against itself cannot stand?” He says this because he is being accused of being Satan, which is how he is driving out devils. Jesus’ point was that Satan can’t drive out devils because he’d be driving out himself.

The Church has exorcists. They drive out devils. In fact, to my knowledge it’s the only church that has an official means prescribed for exorcisms. There are countless records, in newspapers, books, even some videos, of Catholic Priests doing this. If this church were Satan’s Church…

well you get the point.

Of course it is satan’s Church. It is everybody’s Church. Why would satan waste his time with anything other than the authentic Truth?

[edit] That is, if your goal is to eliminate Truth, then go right to the source. If we believe the RCC is the keeper of Truth in the world today, then it will be the primary target for the author of lies as well. That’s why it’s so astounding that with the amount of spiritual black magic, voodoo, satanism and other things going on, that the vast number of priests continue to serve the Church well without falling for satan’s lies. If you think satan tempts you, how much more a target is a parish priest, who is responsible for thousands of souls?

Alan

[quote=Sir Knight]Looking for pointers and suggestions on how to convince a Christian man (and by most accounts, a moral and decent individual) that the Catholic church is not “Satan’s church”.

[/quote]

Just say, “Really now”.

If they say “Yes, really” you say, “To some people, that ‘fact’ is obvious, but to me, you have not proven beyond reasonable doubt that you are right.”

This will spur on a long discussion. Remember that no Protestant willl give ground if you argue to win. Argue to explain. If you are on an online forum, use lots of big grins and smiles and thumbs ups.

Expect “Catholocism is stupid.” said in very creative ways.

[/quote]

One might warn him to be awfully sure before he says that. The unforgivable sin is to attribute God’s work to satan. He is risking a lot if he is wrong.

With all respect to your religion, I can understand why people would say that. The teaching of the RCC does not line up with scripture. I have purchased the Catechism of the Catholic Church and read quite a bit of it, mostly topics I had questions about. It was really quite shocking. More religion and tradition than truth of the word of God…

[quote=Fiat]Dear Sir Knight:

I have been running into these sorts of accusations recently. A friend of mine at my former protestant church left a copy of Dave Hunt’s book entitled “The Woman Rides a Beast,” at my door. The book accuses the Catholic Church of being the Whore of Babylon spoken of in the Book of Revelation.

I returned the book with a note, saying that I had already read the book. I also pointed out that just as Jesus was accused of doing the devil’s work, so too did He promise us that members of His true household would also be accused in the same manner.

In the Gospel of Matthew 10:25, Jesus says, “If they have called the Master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call the members of His household.”

Thus, when I hear people accuse the Catholic Church of being Satan’s Church, it only serves to confirm for me that Jesus’s prophecy is true, and it reinforces for me that as a Catholic, I truly am a member of Jesus’s true Church.

Peace be with you,
Fiat
[/quote]

[quote=joeforjesus]With all respect to your religion, I can understand why people would say that.
[/quote]

IOW, you “respectfully” call Catholics followers of Satan. http://home.houston.rr.com/mchance3/rolleyes.gif

[quote=joeforjesus]The teaching of the RCC does not line up with scripture.
[/quote]

According to whom? You? Where do you get your authority to interpret Scripture?

– Mark L. Chance.

[/quote]

Hmmm, why would anyone think the Catholic Churc–where people worship Jesus–is Satan’s Church when there’s a church called “The Church of Satan,” where people worship Satan? Something tells me the latter rather than the former is Satan’s church.:rolleyes:

Thank you for your replies. Some of them offer an approach which I did not originally consider and which I believe will be helpful. Thanks again.

[quote=joeforjesus] … The teaching of the RCC does not line up with scripture …
[/quote]

Care to offer a few examples?

[quote=mlchance]IOW, you “respectfully” call Catholics followers of Satan. http://home.houston.rr.com/mchance3/rolleyes.gif
– Mark L. Chance.
[/quote]

:rotfl: :rotfl:

[quote=joeforjesus]With all respect to your religion, I can understand why people would say that. The teaching of the RCC does not line up with scripture. I have purchased the Catechism of the Catholic Church and read quite a bit of it, mostly topics I had questions about. It was really quite shocking. More religion and tradition than truth of the word of God…
[/quote]

What does “more religion” mean? You’re not one of those guys who says, “I have no religion, I just follow what the Bible says” are you?

Look up “religion” in the dictionary. You’ve got one.

[/quote]

I don’t have time to really explore this issue at length, but let me make one quick related observatoin… This reminds me of one of the multitude of influencing factors which led us to the Catholic Church in the first place. I realized that I was actually potentially benefitting in social standing from my involvement at the local Episcopal Church. I was (and am) working in state government, and there were many other members there from other branches of government (mayor and former governor, for example). Anyway, it ocurred to me that I felt pride in belonging, and it was not necessarily “boasting in Christ”. I realized that, if the church were doing what it should, it would not be popular; society would hate it. Another forums member reminded me of this today off the boards. We begin to recognize the significance and importance of the RCC, when we catch a glimpse of how much it is really hated by so many. Society’s derision reminds us that we are to be seperate from the world in our behavior and beliefs.

I would emphasize the safeguarding of our Bible was carried through by this church. How could God permit this to be, if the Catholic Church were not “this rock”? Perhaps more effectively, I would inquire into precisely why the Catholic Church is supposedly the “church of Satan”, then counter the arguments one by one. The Catholic Church has been the home to some of the greatest thelogical minds of the past–from Aquinas and Augustine to G.K. Chesterton. Don’t be afraid to do some study and kindly but effectively dismantle his weak arguments against the Catholic Church one by one.

[quote=joeforjesus]With all respect to your religion, I can understand why people would say that. The teaching of the RCC does not line up with scripture. I have purchased the Catechism of the Catholic Church and read quite a bit of it, mostly topics I had questions about. It was really quite shocking. More religion and tradition than truth of the word of God…
[/quote]

That’s ridiculous… My wife and I are starting a study group at our church this fall focusing on the study the entire Catechism over the course of two-years, or so. The one thing which strikes us repeatedly when reading this work is the great wealth of Biblical support for each passage. Instead of speaking in generalities, why don’t you offer some concrete examples?

[/quote]

I would say to him…If he believed this to be true then he would also be saying that early Christians for the first 1500+ years were satanic??? How is this so??? When in his opinion did Christ’s Church start??? Most Protestants today do not deny the Church is the historic Christian Church…so he is obviously in the minority with his apostate view of Christ’s Church. I would make your objection quite clear.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.