How To Rebuttal: "RCC is satan's church"?

Even devils need love. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=joeforjesus]With all respect to your religion, I can understand why people would say that. The teaching of the RCC does not line up with scripture. I have purchased the Catechism of the Catholic Church and read quite a bit of it, mostly topics I had questions about. It was really quite shocking. More religion and tradition than truth of the word of God…
[/quote]

Hi Joe! :wave:

I think what you mean to say is that the teaching of the RCC does not line up with your particular understanding of scripture. That may certainly be the case. As far as it simply lining up with scripture, it does completely

In Christ,
Nancy :slight_smile:

Is it because he believes that the Pope is the antichrist? I actually almost fell for that one a long time ago, but that’s what happens when you don’t know a single thing about him.

[quote=joeforjesus]With all respect to your religion, I can understand why people would say that. The teaching of the RCC does not line up with scripture. I have purchased the Catechism of the Catholic Church and read quite a bit of it, mostly topics I had questions about. It was really quite shocking. More religion and tradition than truth of the word of God…
[/quote]

Joe, You don’'t know what you’re talking about and you really should ask the Holy Spirit to guide you before you make a rash remark that is patently untrue.

You have been misled by teachers who told you that all of Christian belief has to come from nothing but the Bible and yet that is not what the early churxch believed.

Worse still, the beliefs of the Catholic Church are as Biblical and in most cases moreso than any of the things that I was taught in over 34 years among them.

The Eucharist is Scriptural

Catholics do not worship statues

The CA Library has far more and will provide you with both scriptures and the historic statements of the early church that prove that they too believed as we do.

The reason that I am Catholic is because I knew my faith as a non-Catholic and whan I heard n-Cs attack Catholic teaching with lies and misinformation I went back and double checked them and discovered that they are Biblically and historically wrong. I am totally committed to the truth and I followed it right straight home to the Catholic Church.
Pax tecum

I agree. The Catholic library is great. You’d be amazed at what you don’t know.1

Hiya Church Militant. Long time no scare up. I dunno about continuing in a conversation with the person who left the book for his ‘friend.’ Personally, time is life, at least in this world. Life is a gift from God. the first thing I do when I hear anti-Catholic drivel is discern whether the person is actually searching for answers. If the person is not, it truly is not worth the time to linger in the ‘conversation.’ A derisive sniff and I’m gone. If the person is searching for answers…then I try to ask forwarding questions, one at a time. I always avoid trying to convert the person. (Only the Holy Spirit convicts.) I always leave an opening for the conversation to pick up again at a later date. (The Holy Spirit never rushes.) Someone looking for answers will find them.

[quote=Sir Knight]Looking for pointers and suggestions on how to convince a Christian man (and by most accounts, a moral and decent individual) that the Catholic church is not “Satan’s church”.

And before anyone tells me that it’s a lost cause and not to even bother, I just want to say that I don’t like to see this type of misconceptions about our faith go unanswered. Christ prayed for unitity among His followers. By attempting to clear up misunderstandings when ever we encounter them, we can help bring about some of that unitity.
[/quote]

In addition to what I said earlier, I think stressing the unity of believers is very important. As we are reminded throughout Scripture, we are to strive for Christian unity. How are 30,000 denominations a reflection of Christian unity? I also think that Sola Scriptura is pretty easily sent on its way. If we accept that each person must interpret a particular Scripture passage completely on his own, then this is sending the naive believer towards moral relativism. Furthermore, how can the Holy Spirit be guiding different churches in opposite interpretative directions regarding identical Scripture passages? Does this imply a polyththiestic belief system on the part of Protestants? Perhaps not, but it seems clear that there must be authority present to assist the members in their clear and correct understanding of passages in order to avoid unnecessary and fruitless conflicts within the church. Also, where is the consistency in Protestant circles reference the Culture of Death? With the Anglican adoption of birth control in the 1930s and the brief Protestant love afffair with eugenics, we are left with Protestant denominations which (praise God!) recognize abortion as a grave sin, but they don’t see the moral similarity between birth control and abortion. Where is the consistency of reason?

[/quote]

I respectfully disageree - nothing in the Catechism goes against Holy Scripture. The Catechism comes from the Holy Scripture, as well as Sacred Tradition. You must be reading a corrupted Bible. Hopefully you will continue your research and see the error of your ways.

You cannot understand why someone would call the Holy Mother Church the church of satan and be respectful. You are in error.

God Bless you.

[quote=Sir Knight]Looking for pointers and suggestions on how to convince a Christian man (and by most accounts, a moral and decent individual) that the Catholic church is not “Satan’s church”.

[/quote]

Maybe smile and say “Really? I’ve not seen him at Mass.”

And before anyone tells me that it’s a lost cause and not to even bother, I just want to say that I don’t like to see this type of misconceptions about our faith go unanswered. Christ prayed for unitity among His followers. By attempting to clear up misunderstandings when ever we encounter them, we can help bring about some of that unitity.
[/quote]

Along with all the other good points made consider this approach:

Tell him, Jesus said “a tree is known by its fruit, right?” Mother Teresa of Calcutta and all the other Saints bear witness to the good fruit of the Catholic Church. No? How are you judging the church? By what fruits?

Phil

[quote=kage_ar]Maybe smile and say “Really? I’ve not seen him at Mass.”
[/quote]

YOU ARE AWESOME:bowdown2: :rotfl:

Thanks again for the replies.

[quote=Ani Ibi][size=3]Hiya Church Militant. Long time no scare up. I dunno about continuing in a conversation with the person who left the book for his ‘friend.’ Personally, time is life, at least in this world. Life is a gift from God. the first thing I do when I hear anti-Catholic drivel is discern whether the person is actually searching for answers. If the person is not, it truly is not worth the time to linger in the ‘conversation.’ A derisive sniff and I’m gone. If the person is searching for answers…then I try to ask forwarding questions, one at a time. I always avoid trying to convert the person. (Only the Holy Spirit convicts.) I always leave an opening for the conversation to pick up again at a later date. (The Holy Spirit never rushes.) Someone looking for answers will find them.
[/quote]

[/size]I have to agree with ya Ani, and to be honest I handle it much the same way. Deride the Catholic Church, and it’s on. It really is a matter of honesty. Don’t tell me that you’re "just lookin’ for answers if you already have your mind made up and just wanna try out the bunk you learned in your latest anti-Catholic aquisition or the sermon that you just heard at church.

[quote=Christian4life]Is it because he believes that the Pope is the antichrist? I actually almost fell for that one a long time ago, but that’s what happens when you don’t know a single thing about him.
[/quote]

Same. In fact a couple months ago I was inquiring into Catholicism, and accusations such as this one scared me off. But, by the call of the Holy Spirit, I’m going to become Catholic. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.